• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
The developer of Driveclub has been hit by layoffs after its latest game, OnRush, failed to set tills ringing.

Driveclub and OnRush director Paul "Rushy" Rustchynsky - the face of both games and of the studio itself - is among those let go, multiple sources close to the studio have confirmed to Eurogamer, alongside other senior members of the team.

Previously known as Evolution Studios, the Cheshire-based outfit was acquired by Codemasters in 2016 after former owner Sony ditched the developer.
People I've spoken to described the studio as having been "decapitated" by these redundancies, with senior staff and lead creatives fired or required to re-interview for positions, although some junior staff are also affected.

Sources I've spoken to who wished to remain anonymous for the sake of their career said the feeling among remaining staff was the team would now work as a support studio for other Codemasters titles, or less-risky projects.

Others mentioned longer-term problems, and a lack of communication between the Evolution team and the wider Codemasters entity it had found itself part of.
According to a source, OnRush sold just over 1000 physical copies during its launch week in the UK. The fact it never appeared in the chart after that week did not bode well.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...per-evolution-driveclub-director-rushy-let-go

:(

Last edited:

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking shame. Driveclub was great. Onrush is outstanding.

Biggest loss to arcade racers since Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly...this was expected OnRush bombed.
Hope they can regroup and have more success on the next project.

Edit:
I wish they had market it more as a Mario Kart for PS/XBOX/PC users....and even considered bringing it on Switch. Much less competition there - but i understand why the standard is to ignore the new Nintendo system for these games.

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping that going to Codemasters was gonna be a success story for them... Hope those let go land on their feet, and those staying get put on some more successful projects.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Hope they land on their feet. OnRush was fun but didn't have enough meat to feel sustainable, they're all talented enough to make something great.

Hope they get picked up fast so they can start churning out more cool stuff.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
1000 copies?! Ouch!

I wasn't a fan of the demo and kind of feared the worst when the price of the game plummeted a couple of weeks after launch but I didn't think it had sold that badly.

To be fair though, I don't really recall any marketing for the game. There were a few preview pieces but I don't think I saw much about the game?

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. Playing it at the moment and enjoying it.

I wonder if the Beta put people off? I played that and didn't like it at all.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had a bad suspicion this was going to happen, which is a shame since OnRush is one of the most fun games I've played this year.

Lack of communication between Evo and Codemasters is believable. The game's marketing has been tepid all around, and I wouldn't be surprised if Evo wanted them to treat it more seriously.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Too bad but i can't say i didn't see it coming.
OnRush is a great game but it lacked that certain something that could have made it special.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
1000 copies on UK launch week is a disaster but the asking price was madness and the open beta turned a lot of people off so it's not much of a surprise.

Gutted for all those who lost their jobs.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
According to a source, OnRush sold just over 1000 physical copies during its launch week in the UK. The fact it never appeared in the chart after that week did not bode well.

Holy shit, what a bomba. I was waiting for some discount, but now I fear the game will be dead and buried before long.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is really sad. That team makes too good games to be put through what they've been put through.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I bought OnRush, like, 50% off even before it released. I wasn't even going to, but it was hard to pass up that price. I played it a few hours, and had fun with it. But yeah, it just didn't grab me on the long term. I think if it was positioned more like Rocket League, it'd have found more success.

I was really hoping that Evo joining Codemasters would mean them working on GRID 3, but... I guess not. It's amicable that they tried something new with the genre, but... yeah.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
1000 copies?! Ouch!

I wasn't a fan of the demo and kind of feared the worst when the price of the game plummeted a couple of weeks after launch but I didn't think it had sold that badly.

To be fair though, I don't really recall any marketing for the game. There were a few preview pieces but I don't think I saw much about the game?

It was advertised on the Xbox One dashboard and there was the open beta. I think the concept just isn't compelling enough to sustain a whole game, it just felt really aimless and disconnected.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A shame. A talented team that made a game that just did not sell well. OnRush looked kinda fun but also seemed really disjointed and aimless. Hop everyone lands on their feet.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
What a miserable turn of events. Hope everyone effected manages to land on their feet.

Would have picked the game up as it looked like loads of fun, but I was waiting for the PC version. Guess that's not happening now.

Oct 27, 2017
In my own fantasy, Yoshida and Layden are calling Rushy and friends right now to tell them "dude, we made a mistake, come home !"

In real life though, the best scenario for them is to knock at Turn 10/Playground Games, since Microsoft is the only one to care about the racing genre as a whole (arcade and simulation).

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's really sad to hear.
The buzz I heard about Onrush was really positive. Finding an audience in the racing genre seems to be incredibly difficult these days, especially for arcade racers.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks, game really failed to find it's audience. I actually liked the beta quite a lot but not enough to make me pick it up.

Hope everyone affected finds new positions elsewhere. Really great studio. :(

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
1000 in UK wich is one of the biggest markets for racing games is not good
Dont know why the game bombed btw. It has arcade racing with pretty unique modes and the reviews were decent also. Not great but decent. So it should have done fine really. Not realy good but not this 1000 copies bomb. Marketing wasnt good maybe? People didnt really know what the games was?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't like people losing their jobs, but I have no idea how the team managed to stay alive that long considering their output.

From Motostorm to drive club to onrush it's clear these guys don't know how to make good racing games.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I wish Sony would have put them on a Forza Horizon competitor instead of Driveclub. I love Driveclub but they didn't separate it enough from Gran Turismo, certainly from a visual standpoint. A Motorstorm reboot or a new IP using Horizon's model would probably have sold quite a bit better. Although Driveclub was probably hurt by the delays and the launch issues more than anything.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Even in the games industry and even in 2018, I am astonished at Codemasters describing multiple layoffs, including the public face of the studio/games as "a normal course of business after a project wraps"

Extremely disrespectful to the staff.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hope they find other jobs soon.

It really sucks in this industry that jobs are in such turmoil if a project doesn't sell well. Something needs to change so the industry and devs have some kind of job security if a project dosn't so super well.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like people losing their jobs, but I have no idea how the team managed to stay alive that long considering their output.

From Motostorm to drive club to onrush it's clear these guys don't know how to make good racing games.

Driveclub wasn't for me either but Motorstorm was fantastic. Still wonder if the guys wanted to do something different or Sony didn't see how a big budget Motorstorm reboot (pacific rift 2 if you will) would sell a ton on PS4.