• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. OnRush was exactly the kind of kick in the ass the genre needed, at least for someone like me. Wish it did better but the market for these kinds of games can be a cruel motherfucker.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
For Onrush the game itself... yeah boring ass game.
Little reason to give it attention when there is superior stuff like Forza, Gran Turismo or Mario Kart.

the hot takes certainly are something...Onrush has nothing in common with the games mentioned here but alright, we get it, you didn´t even try to understand what Onrush is about. hint: it´s everything other than a "boring ass" game...

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Wow that's a huge shame, my condolences to the devs. Hopefully something good comes their way, cause to my understanding, onrush FEELS great to play, and I thought drivelling was a whole lot of fun.

Maybe they can partner up with the burnout devs?

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
It's always sad to hear people losing their jobs but Onrush bombed really hard. I played on their free weekend trial and after an hour It became really boring. The vehicle design is awful all of them looks like an f2p assets nothing cool like we saw in MotorStorm. The overall goal of the game either confusing or uninteresting only good thing I remember about my little playthrough was graphics and environment.

I wish they worked on the next GRiD game instead of a new IP.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This.

The real scale:

10 - rFactor 2, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Raceroom (in that order)
9 - Project Cars 2
8 - F1 2017, Dirt Rally
7 - GT Sport, Forza 7
6 - Forza Horizon 3, Driveclub
5 to 1 - the rest
I do like ranking this on a 1-10 scale, but we'll probably all have different opinions.

I think Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are 8. I agree with you they're definitely not 9 though.

Forza Horizon and Driveclub I would put around 6.5

What would you rank Mario Kart though?

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Man, that really sucks. Was planning on picking it up for PC, should not have waited. I'll grab it tonight. Feel bad for the studio :(

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
#DRIVECLUB is still the overall best racing game and my game of the generation!
Thanks for that Rushy and Evo!

The concept of OnRush didn't catch me, so i didn't buy it...

Sad to hear this kind of news :(
Hope they're all well!

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do like ranking this on a 1-10 scale, but we'll probably all have different opinions.

I think Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are 8. I agree with you they're definitely not 9 though.

Forza Horizon and Driveclub I would put around 6.5

What would you rank Mario Kart though?

Don't play it so can't rank it. I've only ranked the games I play. I don't really find anything below what I ranked engaging enough to play anymore so don't bother to be honest.

But yeh it's impossible for GT Sport and Forza to be ranked just a notch below the sims that are considered a "10" if we were to rank them based on how accurate they are in simulating driving a car. For a start, project cars 2 somewhat of a halfway home between GT/Forza and the more serious stuff. Then there's the fact that both Dirt Rally and F1 2017 are more realistic in a number of aspects if you set them up correctly.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad, the game looked absolutely awesome. I wonder what went wrong here. Perhaps this kind of game no longer fits the market's tastes.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A Shame Onrush is the best Arcade experience since Motorstorm and Blur

AgentChris

Oct 26, 2017
Right your wrong Sony. Bring these talents back together for DriveClub 2. I loved the first one so much.

Pookmunki

Oct 27, 2017
It's bollocks, Onrush is mighty fun. A lower price point ( or going the Rocket League route) would definitely helped.

Condolences to the devs.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
The more I think about it, I honestly don't understand Codemaster's actions here. They bring on a closed down team to form a new studio, have them launch a new IP with meager marketing support, and then shut things down after initial sales numbers? Like, did they really expect OnRush to do miracle numbers or something? I can't see any sensible world where they would have said, "Look, okay, we'll bring you in. You're going to make a new IP. We're not going to give you a big marketing budget. You have to make the game in a short amount of time. Then, if it sells 'x' amount, we keep you going. If not, it's gonna be goodbye." Like, who takes on a project like that?

There has to be something more going on here that we haven't heard about.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, I honestly don't understand Codemaster's actions here. They bring on a closed down team to form a new studio, have them launch a new IP with meager marketing support, and then shut things down after initial sales numbers? Like, did they really expect OnRush to do miracle numbers or something? I can't see any sensible world where they would have said, "Look, okay, we'll bring you in. You're going to make a new IP. We're not going to give you a big marketing budget. You have to make the game in a short amount of time. Then, if it sells 'x' amount, we keep you going. If not, it's gonna be goodbye." Like, who takes on a project like that?

There has to be something more going on here that we haven't heard about.

Major publishers in that space seem to scramble. It seems like a scary AF market to be in for pubs and devs. Either your game is a hit and gains traction right off the bat or it falls off the face of the earth.

Dec 15, 2017
Wow thats a shame. Hope thy land on their feet.

As a longtime fan of their other games, including Driveclub, i really wanted to like OnRush, but it just didnt do it for me.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man that's a real shame, and these news came far too soon. I thought they were safe now that Codemasters picked them up, seemed like the perfect fit. OnRush got decent review scores too, 76 on meta for PS4, 78 on XB1. GTS is at 75.

But unfortunately they went with a takedown focus instead of racing focus, I think that was a wrong move. Not sure if the open beta was a good idea either, the hype seemed to go down after that. People (including myself) really missed the traditional racing.

Seeing NMS gain hype again makes me think it shouldn't be too late to try fixing things. Maybe they could add a racing focused mode as a free update?

Hopefully the rest of the team get a chance to redeem themselves anyhow. Can't lose another racing dev. Far too many old racing series are forever gone or on hiatus for no reason. Driveclub, Motorstorm, Ridge Racer, Burnout, Destruction Derby, Project Gotham Racing, Test Drive, F-Zero, Wave Race, and more.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Motorstorm Pacific Rift is my favorite racing game of all time. I wonder how Evolution's story would've played out if Sony had them create a Motorstorm game for the PS4 launch instead of Driveclub.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
It's a shame that being a great game isn't enough. What's the difference between "great" and "special"?
I know right? it's so sad that people lose their jobs even they make very good work.
As for your question, it's not something that can pinpoint or quantify to be honest but what i can tell you is that Motorstorm had this problem too, Pacific Rift was the closest to have this quality i feel.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why didn't they just make a racer like motorstorm again? I wanted a next gen off road arcarde game like pacific rift so bad.

I bought onrush at full price and you get tired of it, real quick. It was foolish to cost so much and it was foolish not to have a classic race mode.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
GT and Forza aren't nearly as sim as you want them to be. If GT and Forza are a 9, what is Project Cars?

9.5, I guess?

This.

The real scale:

10 - rFactor 2, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Raceroom (in that order)
9 - Project Cars 2
8 - F1 2017, Dirt Rally
7 - GT Sport, Forza 7
6 - Forza Horizon 3, Driveclub
5 to 1 - the rest

This might be valid on a logarithmic scale, where the fidelity gets higher towards the top to differentiate similar examples, but as a linear scale it's totally absurd. The differences between, say, GT Sport and rFactor 2 aren't neglible by any means, but a layman would find it very hard to tell the difference and outright impossible to suggest which is more realistic. You're implying that there's a similarly sized gap between rFactor 2 and GT Sport as there is between, say, Mario Kart and Need for Speed. Nuh uh.

Fair enough. In what ways is DriveClub more "arcade-y" than FH3? To me, DriveClub, with default settings, feels a lot more "realistic" than Forza Horizon 3, but I guess "feel" is pretty subjective, so I'm just wondering if there's anything more objective that someone could point to in terms of one being more arcadey than the other.

It's a pretty long time since I played Driveclub, but I guess the way I'd say it is this. Forza Horizon feels like a softened sim whereas Driveclub feels like the developers completely messed with the physics to get a certain feel out of it. You can take a crazy amount of speed into and through corners in Driveclub.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame, people just won't support experiments by even well loved developers. I had my doubts at first but bought it partly because I want to support Evolution in whatever they're doing. They're a great team and the enjoyment I've had out of their games over the years mean I'm willing to give their new project a chance.

And I've loved it, played it frequently since it's launch. I thought this was Codemasters letting them build a new engine from scratch, while building a smaller game. So it could be used with future titles. Seems a shame they just cut and run like this.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad to hear that, I hope everyone lands on their feet. Doubly worse, this is another great racing studio has been busted up.

Personally I never warmed to OnRush, it's just not what I'm looking for in a racing game (similar feelings to Motorstorm). I think they would've been better served by making a spiritual successor to Driveclub. Yeah it had a bad launch, but really gained a solid reputation and is one of the best racers of the generation.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
It's a shame, people just won't support experiments by even well loved developers. I had my doubts at first but bought it partly because I want to support Evolution in whatever they're doing. They're a great team and the enjoyment I've had out of their games over the years mean I'm willing to give their new project a chance.

And I've loved it, played it frequently since it's launch. I thought this was Codemasters letting them build a new engine from scratch, while building a smaller game. So it could be used with future titles. Seems a shame they just cut and run like this.
We don't have the money to support experiments. I just wanted Driveclub 2 or the spiritual one.

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't OnRush review well too? Thats really unforuntate, hopefully everyone falls on their feet

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Didn't OnRush review well too?

onrushaccolades.jpg

+Easy Allies 9/10. so yeah, it did well review wise

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
OnRush looked rough..

Never good to hear about people losing their jobs. Hopefully they'll all land on their feet soon.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
To expand on my earlier point, I really find it hard to believe the developers didn't have a single media consultant tell them to change to F2P model. They would have been able to find bridge financing for the transition over from RRP to free, and would absolutely make a killing from the cosmetics and increased exposure, and wouldn't have the inevitable backlash they're going to get from full price purchasers when the game does that anyway in the coming months.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks. I didn't even know OnRush was out when it came out until I saw it was on sale for $35 on the PS Store. At that point I thought about buying it but tbh I game mostly on my Switch these days, so yea :/.

It looks like Sony made the right decision to close the studio the first time.

Eh, the studio is very talented. They make fun and gorgeous games. It's a shame Sony couldn't get them to work on/find a game with more widestream appeal.

Kinda like what Microsoft did with Forza. Horizon shares many assets with Motorsport, which allows faster development time but both games are unique in what they offer gameplay wise.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Onrush should be a Games With Gold or PSN Free game to boost the online user base
They tried free weekends, but it didn't lead to an uptick in sales. At some point people just need to accept that maybe it's just not a game people are interested in playing. Especially not at 60 dollars, and apparently not at a reduced price of 39.99.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
We don't have the money to support experiments. I just wanted Driveclub 2 or the spiritual one.

They weren't going to build DriveClub 2 from scratch in two years, just not realistic. I would have loved that too, but obviously not what Codemasters bought them for. That would have required Sony to keep them and let them build on what they'd accomplished.

But all this tech they've built up from scratch could have let them build it next and then that two years seems reasonable.

Deleted member 19996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They tried free weekends, but it didn't lead to an uptick in sales. At some point people just need to accept that maybe it's just not a game people are interested in playing. Especially not at 60 dollars, and apparently not at a reduced price of 39.99.

They should have dropped digital price as well (unless I missed it), it's $39.99 on Amazon, but $59.99 on Xbox Store. I don't buy physical, so if digital isn't matching, it's getting a pass.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should have dropped digital price as well (unless I missed it), it's $39.99 on Amazon, but $59.99 on Xbox Store. I don't buy physical, so if digital isn't matching, it's getting a pass.
I don't think the digital price ever dropped. We're headed towards a Destiny 2 $5.99 price point I'm guessing.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
I think I've owned every game they made since Motorstorm 1, their crowning achievement was Pacific Rift by far IMO.

Driveclub was an absolute snooze fest with overrated visuals and dull as hell gameplay, I have no idea why it was so universally praised. That said I bought OnRush and think it's a very fun game..that probably should have been priced at $39.99 from the get go.
I agree with the Motorstorm part, i really like Motorstorm, i freaking Love Pacific Rift, i like Apocalypse. DriveClub wasnt a bad game by any means but this Onrush game needed to come out with a $39.99 price tag from the get go.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I didn't see that coming. I'm a arcade racer fan and Onrush didn't appeal to me at all.

I feel bad for the team though. I hope they can bring some key staff together and make some other arcade racer with actual focus on racing.

Sonic Team Racing having a Single Player mode is like dodge a bullet lol