1. carlosrox

carlosrox

I'm a real gamer and I enjoyed SF0 even though the controls weren't exactly intuitive. Game would be way better had the controls been like the first two games or something more digestible.

I don't feel the need to shit on the game at every given moment though.

People are really annoying about this game. Makes me roll my eyes into my fucking skull.

2. MrMephistoX

MrMephistoX

I’d be okay with it as long as there’s some kind of fully 3D dog fighting mode in multiplayer. It’s kind of an on rails racer anyway so racing with enemies coming at you too might work? I didn’t think Retro could pull off Prime as an FPS back in the day so I might be pleasantly surprised.

3. Skies

Skies

Thanks.

That is exactly where I am coming from.

4. Sander VF

Sander VF

Oh, you have envisioned Redline in game form, haven’t you? But with Starships, huh?

5. Lulzwagon

Lulzwagon

I loved Star Fox 0 and all this negativity surrounding it makes me sad. I'm glad Nintendo hasn't given up on the franchise.

6. Well, that’s because the game’s entire existence was basically obnoxious pig-headedness from Miyamoto. They proceeded despite early and repeated feedback that the interface wasn’t working for players. And it cost the franchise another entry.

A racing game would be a good way to recapture the earlier game mechanics in an accessible multiplayer mode with decent visuals. So it’s a good thing.

7. tapedeck

tapedeck

I loved DKR and I love Star Fox.

That said, this sounds really dumb.

8. TreIII

TreIII

Even there, though, "featured" is language that does leave a bit of a possibility, in my eyes.

Now, stuff like Smash 4 and Splatoon 2's expansion? These are examples of games that are clearly going to be the primary focus of Nintendo's E3 this year. We're going to see a LOT of coverage for them and others that Nintendo is going to promote heavily. But, at least to me, it doesn't at all preclude the notion that they'll do more Prime 4 style teases and quick drops for some of these games that may be "2019" (or later), just to make sure that there's plenty of stuff to have on people's minds well after E3 is over.

So, that's why I could see why some (including myself at this point) are hoping for a bit more. Not expecting it, but it definitely would be appreciated.

9. night814

night814

SF0 killed my hands after like 10 minutes I recently tried to play it again and I literally couldn't play it, that being said I love 643D and would have loved a new game done just like it.

10. Skies

Skies

I'm wondering if "spinoff" is just assumed by insiders just because of the change in genre, and not the official stance of Nintendo and Retro. The Star Fox IP seemed dead in the water as an on-rails shooter in our current gaming climate, and space racing would be a natural progression for the IP without sacrificing the core gameplay of the franchise like Star Fox Adventures did.

A recent example of a Nintendo game changing genres is Kid Icarus: Uprising, which certainly is not considered a spinoff by Nintendo or consumers. But if you had heard rumblings of a new Kid Icarus being an on-rails shooter without actually seeing the game, you might have thought otherwise.

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Because we’re having a great discussion on how Retro will knock this out of the park

12. TreIII

TreIII

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Stealth and some others' words on this. It's only assumed a spin-off because it's something different, even though all signs point to that this Retro's vision for the brand going forward.

13. Datajoy

Datajoy

? ? ?

Because people are still discussing the game / rumor? What a strange post..

14. Skies

Skies

Oh I wasn't aware that Stealth was also saying this wasn't a spinoff.

I'm starting to become really hyped for this. We might finally be getting a modern take on the Star Fox series, by fucking Retro Studios!

15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

I’m on board with Stealth too. He said this is considered not as a spinoff, but as what Star Fox should be.

I think these sources/media call it a “spinoff” because it’s racing.

16. Phendrift

Phendrift

This is definitely the next main series entry, and probably an evolution of the gameplay. I didn’t even think that was up for debate....

Thread title should definitely be changed.

17. Datajoy

Datajoy

I dont see why the title should be changed tbh. The only info we have from reliable sources is that the game is a racing spin-off somewhere in between DKCR and F-Zero. Anything beyond that is certainly still up for debate and mostly the result of wandering imaginations...

18. ReyVGM

ReyVGM

People "hate" SF Zero because of the controls, NOT because it's on rails -_-

*edit*
    Oh you're that Harman Smith guy. No wonder most posts of yours have a lot of drivel. And I'm only reading from the last page.

19. MusclesAreGirly

MusclesAreGirly
    Banned Member

Why not just add Star Fox to Mario Kart?

20. Yoshi

Yoshi

But the controls are almost exactly like in Lylat Wars, you can just do small corrections of aiming via the gyroscope (which is mostly optional but leads to a greatly improved precision in aiming). What's different is the dual perspective, which, by the way, works really well if you learn the advantages and disadvantages of the two perspectives.

21. ReyVGM

ReyVGM

I never said the controls were bad, I said people "hated" the game because of the (different) controls.

22. karmitt

karmitt

It’s definitely a spin off - but spinoffs can eclipse originals (see WoW).

23. ZeldaGalaxy94

ZeldaGalaxy94

What if this could be Nintendo big multiplayer game launch for pay online in september?
    Then Smash would be later in the year, maybe around the same time as Super Mario Odyssey had (late oct-late nov)

24. Yoshi

Yoshi

I did not want to claim you said they were bad, I just said that the controls themselves were almost exactly the same, except for the small gyro aiming correction thing, the bigger difference is in the screen set up and in the game being stricter because of the added control.

25. bibs

bibs

Will the OT for this game be up soon?

26. lmao

27. NateSnacks

NateSnacks

Because its F-zero.

28. Mcjmetroid

Mcjmetroid

Is it possible at all that this is a franchise merge with F-Zero?

I mean this StarFox Racing game could just slot F-Zero characters in there with the StarFox characters, assuming the gameplay is similar of course.

29. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

I’m listening to Liam’s podcast. He’s talking about everything he’s heard about the game. He said he’s seen a different logo and was told “Star Fox Grand Prix” was a tentative title he was told.

He’s also talking about some gameplay and hub world stuff. I’m still listening. I’ll update.

30. Sander VF

Sander VF

Can't wait.

31. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus

I’m really not excited about this game. I hope the production value is through the roof. Because if it’s the line of Excitebots or Starfox Zero, I’m out.

But in Retro I trust...

32. Kane

Kane

If this is actually a franchise reboot, than I am all for it.

33. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

What Liam said on his podcast from what he’s heard

Take it all with a grain of salt! Anything is possible...

- The game is not like F-Zero
    - He’s seen a more complete version of the logo
    - The game is based on the arwing (which differentiates it from F-Zero)
    - He was told the title “Star Fox Grand Prix” was a tentative title
    - The game is a mixture between classic Star Fox and racing
    - You shoot enemies to propel forward and get combos; you can shoot other players too
    - Each Grand Prix is three tracks with a boss fight- where the boss comes onto the track
    - It has a big hub area where you can interact with the Star Fox characters
    - You pick up new missions at the hub and there’s story content to go through
    - The game looks really really good in motion
    - He also heard Retro was considering adding cameos like Donkey Kong

One more thing. He also heard it was a 2019 game, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a 2018 game.

Extra tidbits:
    - Fire Emblem is on pace to release this year.
    - Smash is releasing in October according to his sources

34. Shugga

Shugga

oh no
    what the fuck

35. Sander VF

Sander VF

Oh my it looks like my pipe dreams aren't too far from reality.

Hell yeah.

I think this should be added to the OP at the very least.
    Why the "oh no" ?

This sounds fucking awesome.

It being a race-ified classic Star Fox on speed is exactly what some of us were hoping for.

36. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Oh no what?

37. Sander VF

Sander VF

Does this warrant a new thread?

38. Bonejack

Bonejack

Imo not, it's not news, it's basically an expanded rumor by another source. But what do i know, i'm no mod. ^^

Maybe ask one of them via PM?

39. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon

I had a similar thought. F-Zero has anthropomorphic characters alongside humans, so why not just merge the two universes together? Little Wyvern and James McCloud are already there. If Captain Falcon isn't in this game then I'm gonna eat someone.

40. SuperSah

SuperSah
    Banned Member

probably fake

41. SuperBlank

SuperBlank

[​IMG]

Not mad at any of this.

42. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon

WRONG APE

Look at avatar for redemption.

43. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

I added a couple extra tidbits.

44. Fosko

Fosko

I don’t get the need to use Star Fox for what could’ve been. The glorious return of Fzero or a new ip, it’s not like Mario, that highly increases the potential sales of a tittle. No one cares about Star Fox.

45. Sander VF

Sander VF

I'm imagining Donkey Kong flying on a rocket barrel through space shooting down enemies.

That would look so brilliantly stupid.
    Read the supposed details above and you will realise why this is not F-Zero.

46. Sander VF

Sander VF

47. SuperBlank

SuperBlank

I mean it's probably going to be Star Fox mixed with racing, not just any given racer with a Star Fox coat of paint splashed on.

48. Shugga

Shugga

Nah don't waste f zero on a starfox game with circular levels

49. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon

If he is throwing bananas I will allow it.

50. Kaxi

Kaxi

I think it wasn't only the controls. The game looked really low-budget visually, as one thing. To the point that even today I can't tell if it was really supposed to imitate the original or just Nintendo didn't care for graphics. It couldn't be seen as a next-gen Star Fox, because it wasn't even trying to look impressive. And it IS important because Star Fox games in the old days were famous in part due to impressive visuals.
    Also, it was a space shooter released in 2015 that was lacking in terms of epicness, scale, and spectacular space fights. It was pretty timid - maybe not for a Star Fox game, but for a shooter game in 2015. It didn't even come close (in terms of intensity or loosely defined epicness) to Kid Icarus 3DS or Sin&Punishment Wii - two older games on a much weaker systems.
    It was a game with a gimmick that was pretty inaccessible.
    It starred characters that are pretty unappealing for people without nostalgia.
    And it opened / was demoed with a level that was reused throughout a series a couple of times and was one of the weakest visually. Basically it was seen as another remake after 64 3D.

So the controls wasn't the only problem. There were a number of them, smaller and larger, which together resulted in a game that satisfied few.