• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really not sure what to think regarding this announcement.

On one hand, Retro is FINALLY being creative with another mistreated IP, which I have been saying they should do since the original Metroid Prime launched. On the other hand we're still not entirely sure how much influence Miyamoto has had on the project.

Just curious: Are you saying Miyamoto's potential game design input on this project is an issue?

Killer751

Banned
May 10, 2018
Just curious: Are you saying Miyamoto's potential game design input on this project is an issue?

Yes. Miyamoto is gaming's George Lucas. There are countless examples of him meddling with projects for the worse.

Star Fox Zero, I think, is what happens when Miyamoto is given direct creative control on a project. You get a complete mess.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. Miyamoto is gaming's George Lucas. There are countless examples of him meddling with projects for the worse.

Star Fox Zero, I think, is what happens when Miyamoto is given direct creative control on a project. You get a complete mess.

Star Fox Zero was Miyamoto's attempt to justify the gamepad when a higher-up told him to do it. He made the prototype in the first place.

Plus, he doesn't really have much involvement in anything nowadays besides Pikmin. Ultimately, he wasn't the main responsible for Paper Mario's shift of direction.

There's also countless examples of him meddling for the best, like Metroid Prime for example.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox Zero was Miyamoto's attempt to justify the gamepad when a higher-up told him to do it.

Plus, he doesn't really have much involvement in anything nowadays besides Pikmin. Ultimately, he wasn't the main responsible for Paper Mario's shift of direction.

There's also countless examples of him meddling for the best, like Metroid Prime for example.

Iwata
Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?

Tanabe
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Iwata
Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?

Tanabe
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

That was a direct consequence of a survey they had made beforehand, where the people answered that they didn't care about the story.

So really, Miyamoto was doing nothing but echoing the survey.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That was a direct consequence of a survey they had made beforehand, where the people answered that they didn't care about the story.

That's the justification they gave afterward indeed, but in the end, it's still Miyamoto stepping in right at the begining of the project and claiming "No story. No original characters". And this is why Paper Mario sucks now.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

Still all of my friends who played Star Fox Zero loved it thanks to the learning curve.
I'm aware of how its considered, but I don't know if that is enough of an example.
They were trying to use the gamepad. I don't think they'd try to focus a racing game on HD rumble.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Can you blame him for trying to make a game that utilized Wii U core features which was exactly the goal for that project?

The problem with Star Fox Zero was the Wii U, not Miyamoto.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
That's the justification they gave afterward indeed, but in the end, it's still Miyamoto stepping in right at the begining of the project and claiming "No story. No original characters". And this is why Paper Mario sucks now.

Keep in mind that Miyamoto didn't really ask for the Sticker gameplay either. That was all Tanabe.

If they couldn't make a interesting game with the already large cast of Mario, that's incompetence from the developers.

Wasn't there a recent story about how Nintendo doesn't let fans dictate their design of games?

To be fair, that was Intelligent Systems, who definitely use feedback for their Fire Emblem games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a recent story about how Nintendo doesn't let fans dictate their design of games?
I think they said something about not giving the fans everything they want because they're still creators and have their own ideas.

Anyways Paper Mario's downfall does come down to the survey (Nintendo mentioned it) and multiple people including Tanabe. The director of Paper Mario also changed.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

Yeaaaah sure. A lot of mess, like SMB 1 & 3, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Super Mario Galaxy...
George Lucas sure has this kind of pedigree, suuure...
"But he killed my Paper Mario :'( And Star Fox 0 was ALL HIS FAULT JUST HIM EVEN IF HE WASNT THE DIRECTOR". No one gives a shit about classic Paper Mario at Intelligent Systems jesus christ, and Color Splash is a good game. No one wants to do a Paper Mario RPG like TTYD.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I think they said something about not giving the fans everything they want because they're still creators and have their own ideas.

Anyways Paper Mario's downfall does come down to the survey (Nintendo mentioned it) and multiple people including Tanabe. The director of Paper Mario also changed.

Do you remember the thread/source of the article? I can't find it

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Are there any remixes of the original, superior Star Fox soundtrack in Zero?

Yes they are, even though most are reminiscences to the main theme. As I said some pages ago, you have for instance one great homage to it in the map screen of Zero (around 0:39 in):

And another one in the new Corneria theme (around 0:46)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With the retro arwing in plays that on the first level, but it's not really remixed
That's kinda neat.

Yes they are, even though most are reminiscences to the main theme. As I said some pages ago, you have for instance one great homage to it in the map screen of Zero (around 0:39 in):

And another one in the new Corneria theme (around 0:46)

That's sadly too subtle.

Funny how I can hear Kobayashi's mitts all over the second one. Sounds like an Ace Combat outtake.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
The survey ruined Paper Mario :(
The problem is that I suspect it was a Club Nintendo survey, and I seriously doubt anyone took the time to fill it in properly. That's why you get wonky results like no one particularly liking the story in SPM despite the story being almost universally accepted (in gaming circles at least) as one of the best parts about that game

Oct 27, 2017

Lol what survey? And why since when did Nintendo develop games based on what people in surveys said and not what the devs thought was best? Come on now

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Year is 2018, people are still salty about Paper Mario: Sticker Star, why is it popular to hate on Miyamoto again? He has like a 1:10 ratio of bad games to good games. Not to mention Super Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Metroid Prime being largely credited to him.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. They had no issues arranging entire SF64 tracks on several games, but when it comes to the music from the SNES version, it goes largely ignored.
I don't want to feed into made-up conspiracy theories, but I wonder if Nintendo holds a grudge against Hirasawa for quitting immediately after being done with SF. :P To be honest it just annoys me greatly as don't care at all for Kondo's SF64 music.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Iwata

Tanabe

Reading this still pisses me off, god damn.

Sticker Star is still Nintendo's greatest mistake software wise, and I don't even hate the game.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that I suspect it was a Club Nintendo survey, and I seriously doubt anyone took the time to fill it in properly. That's why you get wonky results like no one particularly liking the story in SPM despite the story being almost universally accepted (in gaming circles at least) as one of the best parts about that game

Eh, playing that game again, I can see why the complaints about story were validated and why Miyamoto would have wanted them to pull back on story. The game kind of just...stops...at places to give exposition. It's very word heavy to the point where it just gets in the way, even if the story is good. Granted, going 100% in the other direction was just as stupid but Color Splash does have good stories even if the broad story across all the chapters is generic.

But, since we're talking about Zero here are my favorite levels from the game:

Sector Alpha
Sector Beta
Fortuna
Sector Omega
Venom

Sector Beta and Fortuna are perhaps my favorite levels. Sector Beta because it's big, bombastic, and features nearly every main Star Fox character. Fortuna because it's a fun level that's not in 64 and has a cool idea. Also brings back King Dordarch.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Reading this still pisses me off, god damn.

Sticker Star is still Nintendo's greatest mistake software wise, and I don't even hate the game.
Sticker Star was infuriatingly disappointing. It's not the most disappointed I've been with a game, but it's the angriest I've ever been at a disappointing game. If that makes sense.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sticker Star was infuriatingly disappointing. It's not the most disappointed I've been with a game, but it's the angriest I've ever been at a disappointing game. If that makes sense.

Still doesn't justify all the hate Miyamoto gets, especially since they started righting the ship with Color Splash

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it makes complete sense. That's how I feel. If the actual game itself wasn't Paper Mario I probably would've had a good outlook on it. Not great or masterpiece, but a fun little game with flaws.

But god damn, it's like they went out of their way to just go against everything the series is known for.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moving back towards Star Fox, I really like the Space Opera story of Star Fox Assault. Especially that intro, it's a very good way to start a new game in the series:

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The intro of Assault is amazing but I really disliked the story. The idea is awesome (and the association of having bug-like invasors in an animal universe) and while it's a breath of fresh air, the plot take itself far too seriously and the tone and dialogues are awfully flat and boring.

However, I do really like the false set up of the game in the first mission, with Andrew Oikonny taking the remains of Andross army and organizing a rebellion agains Corneria, and how it is trivialized the moment the aparoids appear.

Last edited:

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
You know looking back on some of this stuff, I'm always surprised they didn't make Star Fox more like Ace Combat. Seems like the most obvious thing they could've done with the franchise

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Assault takes itself more serious than any other game in the series, it just has less quotable one liners.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The intro of Assault is amazing but I really disliked the story. The idea is awesome (and the association of having bug-like invasors in an animal universe) and it's a breath of fresh air, the plot take itself far too seriously and the tone and dialogues are awfully flat and boring.

However, I do really like the false set up of the game in the first mission, with Andrew Oikonny taking the remains of Andross army and organizing a rebellion agains Corneria, and how it is trivialized in the moment the aparoids appear.

As a sci-fi pulpy thing in the vein of "Starship Troopers", I thought the basic idea of what Assault was going for was fine. Hell, considering StarFox's inspirations that trace back to the likes of Star Trek and Star Wars, it was interesting to draw parallels between the Aparoids and the Borg + Yuuzhan Vong, in those respective series. And likewise, just set the stage so that former enemies and rivals had to band together for the sake of mutual survival.

My main issue was that the script just didn't go HAM enough, to go along with the (cheesy) melodrama. I was expecting more moments that would have Wolf and Fox watching each other's backs while trash-talking each other, to go along with the moments that conveyed despair like Peppy's sacrifice and what-not. Even Fox wasn't as snarky as he was in Dinosaur Planet.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Fighter_maneuvering_-_tactical_egg.PNG

damn

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Not that it needed anymore sources, but Michael Damiani from Easy Allies confirmed that he has heard the game is real from his source as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.