• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maturra

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm pretty sure either Reggie or Bill confirmed this pretty explicitly the other day. They wanted to assure fans that Metroid wouldn't just be on the 3DS, but the Switch too.
Gotcha. Must have missed that. I've been tuning in and out of the E3 coverage over the past few days from the office, so I've definitely passed over segments.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E3 seems less and less like the place for big game reveals. Companies are revealing/announcing games randomly throughout the year to get as much press to themselves, and then use E3 to demo those games.

This. Been tryin to say it. Everyone is moving away from treating it as the Holy Grail of announcements (except "gamers", those damn mongrels that get stuck in their ways and everything new is met with wrath).

I have to wonder if their hand was forced on Prime 4, though, as the backlash to Federation Force was so virulent. The game tanked (rightfully or not, I'm not judging here), and pretty much every outlet was proudly proclaiming Metroid as "dead" after that point. The one-two confirmation of Prime 4 along with Samus Returns assured fans that the franchise was alive and healthy, even if it meant that they were showing off a surprise a bit earlier than expected.

I think that this is one of the main reasons. They knew how fucking stupid people can be and they went to damage control mode with the 4 reveal.

Seriously, "gamers" have ruined the whole thing. Fucking cry babies whining all the time. Just go out and eat a carrot. Games are not that serious.

Optimator

May 5, 2018
Alabama
The main reason would be cause it's not coming until second half of 2019 and they only showed 2018 and early 2019 games, I suppose.

I think many of us just had unreasonable expectations that consolidating portable and handheld development, having "figured out" HD game development would mean a steadier stream of big first party games. That just hasn't panned out and it's clear their still needing to stretch out releases and announcements to have a game every month or so and a lot of those games will be things like Labo, Kirby etc. that don't appeal to some of us rather than bigger games like Mario, Zelda, Smash, Metroid etc. I (and others) should have known this, and I've come to terms with Switch just being another Nintendo console I'll just play a few games a year on.

I think this is particularly troublesome as I don't think that is the ideal result of consolidation. It certainly must be acknowledged that handheld development costs were rising as well, but I don't think that the move to Switch should end the market for 3DS-quality games. Pokemon Let's Go is an example of such a game coming into HD -- please put aside production value complaints. I really really want a Samus Returns HD and a Isometric-style Zelda (like ALBW) for Switch. There are a lot of DS and 3DS games that could use a little love and polish that would be perfect on Switch.

But if all they've done is shift teams towards AAA development with maybe a 25% boost to production, that's going to be really sad...

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Liam, disregarding the fact of getting the Swirch reveal completely wrong, just like LKD, he's also such a nice guy and not full of himself.

It's easy to say "oops sorry" after you've been discrediting actual true info for days with the worst attitude. Same with LKD, she was an ass about her leaks for days and even went as far as threatening Nintendo for not inviting her at an event, then it turned out 90% of what she said was completely made up.

I much prefer Emily, Zhuge and Nate here on ERA, because they can actually keep shut until they're really sure about something, which is usually days before an event or after someone else already broke the story, instead of blabbing nonsense for "clicks" or to feel self-important.

Just to give you an example, Liam could've said "that leak may be true but isn't in line with what I know", yet he was so sure it was fake and publicly posted to "disregard it"

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But if all they've done is shift teams towards AAA development with maybe a 25% boost to production, that's going to be really sad...

I think that's mostly what they're are doing. People bitch too much about $60 price tags on lower production value games. Mobile games will be their portable level games for the most part once 3DS support is completely killed off IMO.

There will be some exceptions like Pokémon Let's Go and maybe a 2D Zelda etc. but I bet those will be few and far between.

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
f9f.gif

The gaming community really does get more and more bitter and salty each year. He gets something right, it's sarcastic applause, he gets something wrong, it's hatred and death threats.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's time to move on from E3. Maybe if there's a strong enough outcry Nintendo will reveal Star Fox GP earlier (probably not).

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I still remember that one time a friend of Liam Robertson name searched him on twitter and bumped a month old tweet of mine and then @ him on me and he confronted me because I was saying there was no reason to think Shovel Knight was in Smash...

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder if their hand was forced on Prime 4, though, as the backlash to Federation Force was so virulent. The game tanked (rightfully or not, I'm not judging here), and pretty much every outlet was proudly proclaiming Metroid as "dead" after that point. The one-two confirmation of Prime 4 along with Samus Returns assured fans that the franchise was alive and healthy, even if it meant that they were showing off a surprise a bit earlier than expected.

I actually think it was Seamus Returns that forced their hand, not Federation force. Can you imagine the outrage if they only announced Seamus Returns? People would have been so furious that Metroid wasn't coming to Switch and would have taken it out on poor SR. so I think that was pre-emotive damage control. But I can't explain Pokemon's announcement. Unless you think they were hinting at Let's go. (which I definitely do not)

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Do they not understand videogames are serious business? Posting gifs of beans at 2am is totally unacceptable.

Their ability to develop videogames is slipping away, like bean juice down the drain. Wasting their talent with bbq binging and beans? Miyamota needs to get down there and flip some tables, eat the beans and bbq and whip them into shape
This is a quality post. Gets right to the heart of the issue.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Damiani said on the latest EZA podcast he knew about the game, but it was never meant to be announced at E3, but at a later date. Insiders who told him about Starfox Grand Prix were apparently astounded that everyone automatically assumed it would be there, but given the timing it shouldn't be that surprising...

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damiani said on the latest EZA podcast that he knew about the game, but it was never meant to be announced at E3, but at a later date. Insiders who told him about the game were apparently astounded that everyone automatically assumed it would be there, but given the timing it's not that surprising at all.
Lol. Everyone automatically assumes it'll be at every upcoming Direct because it's been so fucking long since we've heard what Retro is doing. It's reached a point now where if their game isn't a masterpiece, people will be grabbing their pitchforks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damiani said on the latest EZA podcast he knew about the game, but it was never meant to be announced at E3, but at a later date. Insiders who told him about Starfox Grand Prix were apparently astounded that everyone automatically assumed it would be there, but given the timing it shouldn't be that surprising...
None of the insiders said it would be there. They all pretty much said it was a 2019 game. The fans thought maybe because it was leaked earlier this year, then it might Nintendo was close to revealing at this E3.

Idk why people always act like they know so much more or think they're smarter than other people. I can't stand that in this community.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
None of the insiders said it would be there. They all pretty much said it was a 2019 game. The fans thought maybe because it was leaked earlier this year, then it might Nintendo was close to revealing at this E3.

Idk why people always act like they know so much more or think they're smarter than other people. I can't stand that in this community.

Yeah I remember trying to warn people all the time in this thread and in the pre-E3 threads that it's very likely this game wouldn't be there, but no one wanted to listen to that. No idea why.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This opinion should be a bannable offense. Star Fox Adventures is fantastic.

Have you played it recently?

It's garbage.

Every quest is a horrible fetch quest.
The combat never evolves and is repetitive as hell.
Then the game randomly ends before you feel it really got started.
Also, traversal is terrible. Dead ends in maps, etc.

It's not a good game at all. It's just pretty.

Oct 31, 2017
I think after FF if they announced Samus Returns for 3DS and had ZERO Switch Metroid news the fans would have exploded. Hand was definitely forced.

Oct 25, 2017
I think after FF if they announced Samus Returns for 3DS and had ZERO Switch Metroid news the fans would have exploded. Hand was definitely forced.

Could be, but think about FF compared to Samus Returns. FF used the prime name but didn't feature the main protagonist, was multiplayer focused, and looked radically different from other games in the series. SR is a remake of a traditional 2D Metroid. I think the reaction would have been just as same as it ended up being. There was more of a stink surrounding it being the reason AM2R was D&Cd, rather than the game itself.

I don't think they thought they had to tease it early, but it could certainly seem like the safe bet.

And didn't we already have word that there were console and handheld games in development beforehand? Could be they just wanted to reveal them together all along.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo already said they were gonna show 2019 games at a later date, dont know why people didnt listen, Metroid Prime 4 and Star Fox will be shown at that later date, only reason Fire Emblem was shown was due to them saying it was coming this year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo already said they were gonna show 2019 games at a later date, dont know why people didnt listen, Metroid Prime 4 and Star Fox will be shown at that later date, only reason Fire Emblem was shown was due to them saying it was coming this year.
Daemon x Machina was also shown, but given that the UI and subtitles were already in english, I'm guess that's a Q1 2019 game

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem and Dameon X Machina were shown. They never really go by what they literally say. That thing is more of a "Temper your expectations" "Be realistic" kind of thing.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
My guess is Star Fox Grand Prix is being re-tooled into a more traditional Starfox game? It'll still have racing of course, but I suspect it's getting some traditional Starfox levels?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if the Starlink announcement was the cause of the leak. Like someone in the know heard that Starfox was going to make an appearance at E3, and assumed it was Grand Prix. The timing was rather odd.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It'll still have racing of course, but I suspect it's getting some traditional Starfox levels?

That's what the rumor states. It is not like F-Zero, it's traditional star fox with shooting, but there are other players trying to reach the end of the level before you do.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There is. People want a regular (good) Starfox and you can see this by the hype Fox got appearing in that Ubisoft game.

Maybe we can have something like 10 regular on-rails Arwing levels along with the racing.

So as I said, there is no reason to believe that. You're just pulling stuff out of thin air.

They did not decide to retool the game out of nowhere because of Starlink at E3.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Do you really think Retro taking 5 years to make a Starfox racing spinoff is the best in Nintendo's interests? Starfox itself has never been a huge seller, and this is a spinoff of a franchise whose last few games sold poorly.

Like it's no surprise Retro will be in serious shit if this game bombs. Nintendo may either sell them to Microsoft or shut them down.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
No, there is literally zero reason besides pointless speculation and wishful(?) thinking.

I think it's because of Starlink

This is even more reason to think it WON'T be a traditional Star Fox game. Neither Nintendo nor Ubisoft would want there to be that specific a tie in that close to separate games releasing. But if Nintendo is lending the character for a more traditional experience, while making a spin off themselves that won't directly compete it makes a lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.