• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
This will flop. Racers are not selling well as they used to. Especially futuristic games like WipeOut and F Zero just don't have a market to sell to these days.

They should really have made a Star Fox game that is a online shooter like Battlefront 2 or Warhawk. As the shooter market is more popular than ever.
You think on-rail shooters are more popular than racing games?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Oh yeaaahhh sounds freaky I like that shit. Freaking moist right now.

Hopefully this banishes the idea of another Mario Kart sequel within the next several years back to hell where it belongs.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
Let see first if it is real... Wait for the reveal and then judge the game. It is Retro people.

original.gif

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
It'll hurt if this is what gets made instead of a new F-Zero but I'm interested regardless.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, from all Nintendo IPs working on Starfox?
It may be nintendo's worst in both characters and gameplay. But this is consistente with emily tease (people disliking the IP or the genre).

Still curious since it could be a good racing game, but knowing it's Starfox definetly Lost a Lot of interest. (at least it isnt mass effect furry edition).

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario and Rabbids crossover???? Whyyyyyy! Who asked for this? There's no way that'll be good!

Oh wait.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't what I was looking for, I guess, but I could imagine this being REALLY cool.

No one ever made money underestimating Retro.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Star Fox: Landmaster Grand Prix.

I never knew I wanted this... until right now! Thanks E3 rumors!! All aboard the hype train.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay... the Eurogamer article now makes me less sure that this is fake.

That hub world better be mindblowing.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just trying to gauge the quality a 4 year in development retro starfox game would be, like how GOOD can this be to make up for the fact that its a racing spinoff from a company that shipped a mario kart last year on the same console

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This IP needs to be put out to pasture.

Is this really the best you can do with Retro's talents? Still trying to make StarFox happen?

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
What I don't get is why Star Fox?

They almost certainly could have had identical gameplay if they used the F-Zero IP, and would have had ENORMOUS hype from simply being "The Return of F-Zero"

But they go with Star Fox, a franchise as equally niche as F-Zero and hot off the heels of the mediocre Zero? Just...why?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people are upset about this? Diddy Kong Racing mixed with F-Zero sounds like a great game to me

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
Captain Falcon continues begging for scraps after just getting by on his smash brothers pay checks. It's kinda sad the captain has been in more smash games than F-zero games

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to feed into cliche gamer rage, but this seems specifically designed to mess me up:

1. Star Fox Spinoff (I guess Nintendo didn't get the memo from Federation Force that you shouldn't do spinoffs for series not in good standing)
2. A Sci-Fi Racer that isn't F-Zero (I imagine this would be more flying than driving though)
3. Retro studios working on either of the two

It's goddamn Retro Fucking Studios, so they'll probably kill it. But I can't help but realize this makes me feel the way the ultra-hardcore, close minded metroid fans felt about DKCR when it was announced.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Retro cycle

*announcement*
"This is TERRIBLE. What a waste of talent on this dumb, awful, stupid idea. Ridiculous. Now we have to wait ten more years for a REAL game. Nobody wants this."

*release*
"Retro has done it again, shaping one of the finest games in its genre. I can't believe how incredible this is. But I always had faith. Retro forever."
forreal lol

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This whole "you guys say you don't want this but you'll love it" thing is weird predictive backlash

Like I can simultaneously think "well, Retro makes great things so this will probably be great" and also "I wish Retro was using that great talent to make a different great thing"

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ewwwwwwwwwww. One of the worst franchises Nintendo ever had is now even worse. Imagine already having a futuristic racing franchise and not using it, while doing the same thing with fucking furries.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ah so it's that guy huh, hmmmm.

Honestly even if true I'm not sure if I'm against it or for it. I really can't wait to see what Retro is working on next and i have faith it will be great. That being said, Ninty has Mario Kart. I kinda think that's enough?
The guy's only claims to fame are leaking TMNT & Enchantress for Injustice 2 as well as Base Goku & Base Vegeta for DBFZ. He's been wrong more often than not. The only reason why we aren't disregarding him here is because of Eurogamer.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea Star Fox was so hated by Nintendo fans.

This game sounds great if it's true.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is why Star Fox?

They almost certainly could have had identical gameplay if they used the F-Zero IP, and would have had ENORMOUS hype from simply being "The Return of F-Zero"

But they go with Star Fox, a franchise as equally niche as F-Zero and hot off the heels of the mediocre Zero? Just...why?

if you think f-zero is more popular than starfox right now I've got bad news for you : hell no it's not
starfox is a much more known ip than f-zero at the moment, it makes sense

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I love seeing how the narrative of '' They have been forced to do that '' is reborn without foundation as when Retro chose to make Donkey Kong.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it is true or not, I could see a Star Fox Racing game working. You either fly with an Airwing or drive on the ground with the Landmaster. The game could be about shooting enemies or obstacles, flying through narrow paths and hitting oppoents. Getting hit or run into something slows you down, while hitting enemies gives you a boost. This would be different to Mario Kart or F-Zero.
Starfox is a rail shooter and a racing game is mostly about following a track ... So the mix makes sense. Also is there actually a racing rail-shooter? This could be a fresh idea.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I do wonder how they thought this will be a commercial success.

Any chance this is a smaller side project and Retro has another thing cooking?

AETOS

Nov 1, 2017
Retro is soooo damn good I have no doubt this game with be amazing. But damn..completely unexpected. :O

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this sounds pretty damn cool. Can't wait to see it if true. I could very easily imagine this concept coming close to how 64 worked anyway. Linear levels as race tracks where you can still shoot obstacles and fulfill side objectives.

A "race" doesn't have to be a circuit.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
The Retro cycle

*announcement*
"This is TERRIBLE. What a waste of talent on this dumb, awful, stupid idea. Ridiculous. Now we have to wait ten more years for a REAL game. Nobody wants this."

*release*
"Retro has done it again, shaping one of the finest games in its genre. I can't believe how incredible this is. But I always had faith. Retro forever."

This is 100% going to happen, but damn if I don't actually feed into the first thought this time. I preemptively know I'm a fool.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I hope it's true, I want another Nintendo racing on the Switch, I love MK8 but I've already played it on the WiiU a lot.
But why don't do a F-Zero if they want F-Zero style?
If the game is about Arwing races (flying vehicle racing) it's OK, but if it's emulating the F-Zero style sounds really dumb using Starfox instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.