• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is the absolute worst if true. Seriously holy shit. This is what retro has been up to? I'd rather they just be working on Donkey Kong.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the games industry were to listen to the gamers, we would have nothing but ports, remakes and sequels to 10 franchises.

Gald something out of the box is being tried.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't mind and I'm sure I'll like it, but I think the majority of Retro Studio fans want and Epic adventure game from them.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely no interest if that's true. I wonder if the shitstorm would be worse than for Tropical Freeze and Federation Force though.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it even a proper Retro game if there isn't a huge fan backlash though?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I love seeing how the narrative of '' They have been forced to do that '' is reborn without foundation as when Retro chose to make Donkey Kong.
I mean don't get me wrong it'll probably be a great game, but it seems so bizarre to make a spinoff of a series that hasn't sold well the past few iterations that I feel like Miyamoto is involved somehow. No thing wrong with that though, I'll probably get it.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
I don't really buy this but I would love to see it happen because:

1. It would be awesome if Retro could somehow give us a spiritual successor to F-Zero GX but with flying races.

2. The manbaby meltdowns here would be hilarious.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I've no problem with it as an idea (I'd prefer it to Retro doing another 2D/side scrolling Donkey Kong).

I can see potential in races across a variety of alien worlds...as well as variety of land,sea,air and space vehicle types.
I've always liked the characters in Starfox more than most of the actual games ...so I've no problem with another genre switch.

Not saying it's real but..I don't see why it couldn't or shouldn't be.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Star Fox was so hated by Nintendo fans.

This game sounds great if it's true.

Because it's Nintendo's equivalent of Sonic and his shitty friends. The only reason it's still alive is because of Miyamoto. Oh how I await the day he leaves Nintendo. So many great opportunities were squandered because of him, and so much trash came out because of him.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Wait, does this mean we're not getting s 3D Donkey Kong game?
That sucks

Why is anyone complaining? At least it's not a Star Fox 64 re-skin yet again.

I trust Retro.

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if the game is great. It is just I have zero interest in Star Fox and I am not a big fan of racers. So adding these two together creates a game that I have negative interest in. I hope this is fake.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WkgJPNW.gif

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of, Internet: "UGH, why are they FORCING Retro to work on more Donkey Kong?"

Then, Retro: "We wanted to make more Donkey Kong."

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's real so we can continue the tradition of embarrassing first reactions to Retro's projects.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I have no idea what to think of this.

Plot twist: It's F-Zero X Star Fox. Mercenary by day, racer by night.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
This whole "you guys say you don't want this but you'll love it" thing is weird predictive backlash

Like I can simultaneously think "well, Retro makes great things so this will probably be great" and also "I wish Retro was using that great talent to make a different great thing"

Retro ain't gonna be Nintendo's Naughty Dog or cinematic game maker #854 in the industry if that's what you're thinking.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nooooo, no no no no. What an incredible waste of talents.

The creators of Metroid Prime and one of the best platformers in ages are making a spinoff racing game?! Has to be fake.. just has to.

This could actually be an amazing game if the hub world is big and open-worldy enough. Why is this a waste of talent? People felt Metroid shouldn't be in Retro's hands, then they felt like 2D Donkey Kong games were a waste too.

The game could very well be amazing if well executed. And there's no reason to think it won't be. Retro has shown time and again that they make good stuff.

It's just bizarre because of the mashup of genre/IP.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
if you think f-zero is more popular than starfox right now I've got bad news for you : hell no it's not
starfox is a much more known ip than f-zero at the moment, it makes sense

More popular overall? No.

But there's been people wanting a new F-Zero for over a decade. And that build up alone would have created an enormous amount of excitement for a new game. Sort of like how Kid Icarus Uprising was super hyped, despite being a relatively unknown franchise to most.

Oct 27, 2017
This will be weird if it turns out to be true. My first question would be why not just expand Mario Kart to include other Nintendo characters as part of the main cast - they already started this with MK8's DLC characters, and you can basically turn it into the karting equivalent of Smash Bros. My second question would be that if they're making a futuristic racer why not just use F-Zero? It's already established and has been on hiatus for a few generations, so now would be perfect for a comeback. And my final question would be that if they're doing a Diddy Kong-style adventure mode, why not bring back that series instead? Especially so given their experience with the DK series and the fact that Tropical Freeze has just received a Switch port.

But, of course, I'm sure if this is true they'll make a success of it, it'll play brilliantly and sell millions. Retro will no doubt deliver and it'll be a great game.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Erm I didn't say onrails shooter. Have you actually read my post, I even have examples shooter like Warhawk and Battlefront 2. Are those games on rails?
I'm sorry I misunderstood since the context is about Star Fox. You just randomly want it in another genre because it sells well. In that case I think it'd make more sense if they made a battle royale Star Fox game like Fortnite or PUBG.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Ouch
I mean this would hurt pretty bad since you've got f zero and captain falcon just waiting doing nothing.
What a wasted opportunity when their track was featured in a high selling game just last year and on the Wii U - Mario kart 8

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean don't get me wrong it'll probably be a great game, but it seems so bizarre to make a spinoff of a series that hasn't sold well the past few iterations that I feel like Miyamoto is involved somehow. No thing wrong with that though, I'll probably get it.

It seemed bizarre to transform Metroid into a first-person game.

It seemed bizarre that after doing that they went on to make a Donkey Kong 2D.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Y'all just gonna trust a man that has a questionable record? Wait till Nintendo or someone legit confirms this.

Oct 25, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing with Starfox bosses sounds amazing to me. If it ever happens though, I hope you actually race in space, not in standard tracks. Name is terrible.

But I don't think this is happening.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
And if true, the anger will be off the charts.

Lol, I'm down for this. Retro do what they want, and they usually deliver.

Don't forget, they CHOSE to work on DK.

Status
Not open for further replies.