• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

A round of internet leaks has suggested Nintendo's Retro Studios - developer of the Metroid Prime trilogy - is working on a Star Fox racing spin-off.

The leaks appeared online over the weekend on reddit and 4chan, and were then reported this morning on multiple gaming sites and blogs.

So, what do we believe? Well, as improbable as Retro making a Star Fox racing spin-off may sound, Eurogamer sources have heard similar.

Details posted to reddit by user DasVergeben, who has a patchy record, touted Rare's Star Fox project as a racing game "like Diddy Kong Racing mixed with F-Zero".

"It will have an adventure mode of some kind (think Diddy Kong Racing) and there will be some boss fights and a hub world like it too.

"It is called Star Fox Grand Prix."

While I hadn't heard the name - and don't know if that is accurate or final - other details line up with what I have heard. The Star Fox series is traditionally a space (and sometimes land) based vehicle shooter, although it has dabbled in various other genres before.

Shortly after the reddit post went live, a logo for Star Fox Grand Prix separately appeared on 4chan, that home of reliable video game leaks. Again, I've not heard that name specifically, but the rest of the details line up.

Edit:

Game Informer has published an article.

We have heard many of the same rumors, though cannot and do not confirm the veracity of the sources. Rumors of the game have been swirling for several months in light of talk from some sources that Retro Studios' title has been struggling, with many at both Retro and Nintendo growing frustrated with the state of the project. These sources did not confirm whether the project being worked on was this Star Fox title.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier published an article.

We've heard the same from a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo, and we've also heard from two other sources that the Austin, Texas-based Retro had a separate project that went through a rocky development cycle and may in fact be canceled. The person familiar with this Star Fox racing game confirmed many of the details that have been floating around the web today, on Reddit and 4chan and Eurogamer and many other places. Grand Prix is said to be a lot like Diddy Kong Racing in that, unlike Nintendo's other major racing series, Mario Kart, this game will have a story mode and boss battles.

Project that is struggling is not Star Fox

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering Star Fox Adventures is the best Star Fox game, I welcome Star Fox being taken into new and interesting genres.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
While I'd have preferred Diddy Kong Racing (or a real Star Fox game) I'd still be pretty excited about this.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Can't wait for the eventual backlash and moaning when this gets revealed, only for it to release, be a great game, but still be shat on because it's not what people wanted or expected.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will lose my god damn mind if this is real.

Diddy Kong Racing but with Star Fox sound so bizarre and amazing.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if they're deliberately leaking this in advance to avoid the bad reaction Mario X Rabbids first got.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All becuase of this fake image starting to spread around smh. At least try and put some effort in.
DdJzOG3W0AAnMwB.jpg:large

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly doubt Retro is working on anything Star Fox related. With how Nintendo has been porting Wii U games to the Switch, it seems much more likely that Nintendo and Platinum are going to salvage Star Fox Zero. Whether that's an upgraded port or sequel I'm not sure.

I could see Retro making a Donkey Kong racing game, though. I would much prefer that over a Star Fox racer.

touted Rare's Star Fox project as a racing game "like Diddy Kong Racing mixed with F-Zero".

lol

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound like the kind of game I would be interested in but I'll keep any open mind, I guess.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this is true. This would be my game of the century :D Will it be a Kart racer or mixed like Diddy Kong Racing? :D Or just flying?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Walmart Canada needs a better prediction algorithm.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
If it's true, this is some Federation Force level misreading the room by Nintendo.

Where's the "fucking Donkey Kong" guy? His monkey paw bullshit is to blame for this.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
So that was the canon ending to Star Fox Command.

Edit: Missed it by a moment ago...

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
All for Retro trying this out but not sure tying your name to the mediocre at best franchise that is Star Fox is the way to go. Should have revived the F-Zero name instead even if it was a different thing

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If this is legit, I'd honestly be down for it. This would probably be the closest we'd ever get to a Diddy Kong Racing sequel.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
They killed F-Zero for this. I don't know how I feel about this, if this is true. I need to see it first. Should have just kept F-Zero and made a classic Star Fox game (like Zero, but without the gamepad stuff).

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox Racing. The franchise doesn't seem big enough to support spin-offs. Also releasing a futuristic racer not named F-Zero will doom the game from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.