• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
A2tRws8.png

Do you guys think they're keeping the Zero designs or are we expecting Fox to get yet another redesign?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The characters being redesigned every game seems to be a running gag in the Star Fox franchise so I'd expect this to follow suit lol

As long as we don't go back to that lameass Command/Brawl/Smash 4 design, I'm good.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Man I remember that Twisted Metal Black killer stuff! My head is filling with all these ideas about what a Star Fox racer could mean and now I'm getting worried that it won't live up to my expectations.

Like I want Star Fox to become the next Splatoon. Another shooter for Nintendo but with all these crazy vehicles blasting each other out of orbit. It's what I've wanted since Star Fox 64 as my mind was always fixated on how multiplayer could expand in the future.

I love the on rails and story segments, especially for leader boards and getting all those high scores but multiplayer battles with 8+ people flying around has been my dream since I was in the 6th grade.

With Star Fox Assault and Star Fox 64 3D I always look at those massive arenas and only think what could have been with online and more players. Some of those places are huge and chasing around a few people is so fun but not nearly as fun as it could be with a good dozen or so people all over the place shooting form all angles.

Some games that I dreamed about that were actually realized almost exactly as I envisioned them(or even greater) were Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Breath of the Wild, Sonic Mania and Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga. There are a few more grand concepts in my head and the one that seems closest at the moment is multiplayer focused Star Fox. And building it in a racing genre may be exactly what I didn't know it needed.

My dream in my head might be too much but Retro has completely surpassed my expectations time and time again so I'll just happily wait and see.

I thought they ran Killer7 dude out of town?

I've felt similarly about multiplayer for this series for a while. Assault had an excellent template for good multi with longevity (a bunch of varied stages, myriad weapons, jet packs, characters) but it was relegated to only four players at a time and had no online. The on-foot and tank controls were wonky even at the time, but it barely mattered against other humans. That was the best the multiplayer was in the series for me, and it still felt like it couldn't fully shine.

I enjoy online racing games, so if this is how SF gets a compelling multiplayer, then I'm all for it. Now that Nintendo has some experience with actually significant online multiplayer (Splatoon), there's more hope.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we come out of E3 still not knowing what Retro is working on I'm going to lose my shit.

I need to know whether this is real NOW.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
A2tRws8.png

Do you guys think they're keeping the Zero designs or are we expecting Fox to get yet another redesign?

The characters being redesigned every game seems to be a running gag in the Star Fox franchise so I'd expect this to follow suit lol

As long as we don't go back to that lameass Command/Brawl/Smash 4 design, I'm good.
Its not like these are drastic redesigns.. at first glance they are all very similar with only minor cosmetic changes (apart from perhaps the SNES version being pretty different). Unless I am missing something.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Weird to think of the 3 star fox timelines the latest one to get updated was the original, plus 100 percent of its games are good, as opposed to 0 percent, and maybe 50 percent good, depending on if you really like assault, maybe more if you also like adventure's.
I like Assualt, the actual Star fox parts are all solid it's a little short is all. And adventure is solid as a spinoff(and my first Zelda game)... so 75%. I also liked zero, soooo

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we see Miyu and Fay get re-canonized now that Star Fox 2 is an officially released game.

Pretty much every character has to be playable now. Watch us get rob64 in the character select

rob_64_wallpaper_by_jecbrush-d5o3zxo.jpg

And of course Kursed would be in there as a Krystal alt

Its not like these are drastic redesigns.. at first glance they are all very similar with only minor cosmetic changes (apart from perhaps the SNES version being pretty different). Unless I am missing something.

They're different enough to be able to have a preference though, right?

Last edited:

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
If we're getting both this and Wave Race at E3, I'm already satisfied, this is already on top of Smash, Pokemon and Prime 4. This E3 could truly be one of the greats.

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this game the more excited I get for the concept. But also the more worried I get that the specific idea in my head (that's rad as hell) isn't going to be what the game is so it probably won't live up to it.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this game the more excited I get for the concept. But also the more worried I get that the specific idea in my head (that's rad as hell) isn't going to be what the game is so it probably won't live up to it.

My thoughts are more "They really wouldn't pursue something this weird unless they really knew what they were doing"

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Retro has a perfect track record and has a history of resurrecting troubled franchises. Star Fox is near and dear to my heart and I trust they'll make another special game if this turns out to be true.

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts are more "They really wouldn't pursue something this weird unless they really knew what they were doing"

Oh I think the game will be great. Probably the best Star Fox game. Retro's never done wrong by me. But will it be the absurdly crazy cinematic action racer I'm envisioning... Some aspects, yes probably will be. But others I wonder if they'll go far enough to match the vision in my head. Hope so!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Retro has a perfect track record and has a history of resurrecting troubled franchises. Star Fox is near and dear to my heart and I trust they'll make another special game if this turns out to be true.

Not to mention they could set the stage for more traditional levels/games in the future

With this game, hope for the series is restored, so that we might see something like this, in this game or in followups

star_fox_concept_screenshot_by_jecbrush-d6k0y1x.jpg

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
If we come out of E3 still not knowing what Retro is working on I'm going to lose my shit.

I need to know whether this is real NOW.

I wouldn't count on it being at E3. All rumors point to this being a 2019 title and Nintendo's PR for E3 specifically said that 2019 software will be announced at a later date.

I am hoping this leak will cause Nintendo to change their mind and push the reveal up.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I wouldn't count on it being at E3. All rumors point to this being a 2019 title and Nintendo's PR for E3 specifically said that 2019 software will be announced at a later date.

I am hoping this leak will cause Nintendo to change their mind and push the reveal up.

Don't know why people put stock into that, they will lie so they can surprise you, especially for E3.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Don't know why people put stock into that, they will lie so they can surprise you, especially for E3.
To be fair, Nintendo said "focus on [insert year here]" previously. Now Nintendo went as far as to say that 2019 titles will be featured at a later date. Due to that, I can understand where Skies is coming from.

Oct 25, 2017
If people are expecting it at e3 and it doesn't show up then it may lead to people forgetting about it potentially having more of an impact in August or September

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
but real gamers rejected it for being outdated and lame.

I'm a real gamer and I enjoyed SF0 even though the controls weren't exactly intuitive. Game would be way better had the controls been like the first two games or something more digestible.

I don't feel the need to shit on the game at every given moment though.

People are really annoying about this game. Makes me roll my eyes into my fucking skull.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with it as long as there's some kind of fully 3D dog fighting mode in multiplayer. It's kind of an on rails racer anyway so racing with enemies coming at you too might work? I didn't think Retro could pull off Prime as an FPS back in the day so I might be pleasantly surprised.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Oh I think the game will be great. Probably the best Star Fox game. Retro's never done wrong by me. But will it be the absurdly crazy cinematic action racer I'm envisioning... Some aspects, yes probably will be. But others I wonder if they'll go far enough to match the vision in my head. Hope so!
Oh, you have envisioned Redline in game form, haven't you? But with Starships, huh?

Nov 18, 2017
I don't feel the need to shit on the game at every moment though.

People are really annoying about this game. Makes me roll my eyes into my fucking skull.

Well, that's because the game's entire existence was basically obnoxious pig-headedness from Miyamoto. They proceeded despite early and repeated feedback that the interface wasn't working for players. And it cost the franchise another entry.

A racing game would be a good way to recapture the earlier game mechanics in an accessible multiplayer mode with decent visuals. So it's a good thing.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
To be fair, Nintendo said "focus on [insert year here]" previously. Now Nintendo went as far as to say that 2019 titles will be featured at a later date. Due to that, I can understand where Skies is coming from.
Even there, though, "featured" is language that does leave a bit of a possibility, in my eyes.

Now, stuff like Smash 4 and Splatoon 2's expansion? These are examples of games that are clearly going to be the primary focus of Nintendo's E3 this year. We're going to see a LOT of coverage for them and others that Nintendo is going to promote heavily. But, at least to me, it doesn't at all preclude the notion that they'll do more Prime 4 style teases and quick drops for some of these games that may be "2019" (or later), just to make sure that there's plenty of stuff to have on people's minds well after E3 is over.

So, that's why I could see why some (including myself at this point) are hoping for a bit more. Not expecting it, but it definitely would be appreciated.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
SF0 killed my hands after like 10 minutes I recently tried to play it again and I literally couldn't play it, that being said I love 643D and would have loved a new game done just like it.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if "spinoff" is just assumed by insiders just because of the change in genre, and not the official stance of Nintendo and Retro. The Star Fox IP seemed dead in the water as an on-rails shooter in our current gaming climate, and space racing would be a natural progression for the IP without sacrificing the core gameplay of the franchise like Star Fox Adventures did.

A recent example of a Nintendo game changing genres is Kid Icarus: Uprising, which certainly is not considered a spinoff by Nintendo or consumers. But if you had heard rumblings of a new Kid Icarus being an on-rails shooter without actually seeing the game, you might have thought otherwise.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm wondering if "spinoff" is just assumed by insiders just because of the change in genre, and not the official stance of Nintendo and Retro. The Star Fox IP seemed dead in the water as an on-rails shooter in our current gaming climate, and space racing would be a natural progression for the IP without sacrificing the core gameplay of the franchise like Star Fox Adventures did.

A recent example of a Nintendo game changing genres is Kid Icarus: Uprising, which certainly is not considered a spinoff by Nintendo or consumers. But if you had heard rumblings of a new Kid Icarus being an on-rails shooter without actually seeing the game, you might have thought otherwise.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Stealth and some others' words on this. It's only assumed a spin-off because it's something different, even though all signs point to that this Retro's vision for the brand going forward.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Stealth and some others' words on this. It's only assumed a spin-off because it's something different, even though all signs point to that this Retro's vision for the brand going forward.

Oh I wasn't aware that Stealth was also saying this wasn't a spinoff.

I'm starting to become really hyped for this. We might finally be getting a modern take on the Star Fox series, by fucking Retro Studios!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on board with Stealth too. He said this is considered not as a spinoff, but as what Star Fox should be.

I think these sources/media call it a "spinoff" because it's racing.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely the next main series entry, and probably an evolution of the gameplay. I didn't even think that was up for debate....

Thread title should definitely be changed.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
This is definitely the next main series entry, and probably an evolution of the gameplay. I didn't even think that was up for debate....

Thread title should definitely be changed.
I dont see why the title should be changed tbh. The only info we have from reliable sources is that the game is a racing spin-off somewhere in between DKCR and F-Zero. Anything beyond that is certainly still up for debate and mostly the result of wandering imaginations...

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Because that's what Zero was and everyone hated Zero.

People "hate" SF Zero because of the controls, NOT because it's on rails -_-

*edit*
Oh you're that Harman Smith guy. No wonder most posts of yours have a lot of drivel. And I'm only reading from the last page.

Status
Not open for further replies.