• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Lords of the Fallen 2 appears to be back on the ropes again.

No sooner had the game attached a new developer, Defiant Studios in New York, than we now hear the partnership has ended and the Polish company in charge, CI Games, has decided to finish the game in-house with outsourcing help.

The break doesn't sound amicable. Here's how CI Games announced it in a Polish press release on Wednesday, 15th May (translated for Eurogamer by Daniel Kłosiński - thank you).

"The termination of the agreement was submitted due to inadequate execution by Defiant [of] a key work stage (milestone no. 11), a so-called vertical slice. The quality of the work was lower than expected by the company, as precisely described in the agreement, despite three calls to improve the quality of this stage of work.
"

Defiant Studios, however, doesn't agree, and was less than thrilled by the portrayal.

"We categorically disagree with the portrayal of Defiant Studios made by CI Games," founder and managing director David Grijns told me.

"The team that was working on CI Games' project was comprised of exceedingly talented developers whose work we fully stand behind. Our team knows how to build quality games as is evident by their key roles in Just Cause 3, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 5, Devil May Cry (DmC) and many other top tier projects."

However, he added: "As we intend to abide by our contractual confidentiality obligations, at this time we cannot expand further on this matter."

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-...its-the-ropes-again?__twitter_impression=true

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Were Deck13 (makers of the first one) involved at any point with the sequel? They must be quite happy to be far from this mess.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Were Deck13 (makers of the first one) involved at any point with the sequel? They must be quite happy to be far from this mess.
I don't think they have been, they went on to make The Surge which though a little rough due to budget was a huge improvement on LotF and I have high hopes for the sequel.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it sounds like the studio got sub contracted to make the game, they did a poor job, they lose the contract, they move onto the next thing. Nothing in the OP suggests they're losing their jobs. They're just losing THIS job.

True. Though it is a blow to a firm that obviously relies on contracted work, so it depends on whether they are able to bounce back from being dropped from the project and find alternate work. So in the end, it could indirectly result in job loses.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first was one for a few hours - which, coincidentally, is what my opinion on Dark Souls is. I don't think I would have played the sequel unless it was on Game Pass or something. Hopefully nobody loses their job over this contract terminating.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I've played quite a few Souls clones. Lords of the Fallen was definitely one of the worst. Hated how no matter how you built the character, he'd still have the maneuverability of a freight train... while most of the tougher enemies were different varieties of dudes in armor with shields the size of barn doors so you were pretty much required to maneuver around them.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I like the first one. Deck13 did a good job but I genuinely didn't know there was a successor in the making. Still have to finish the first one though.