• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
A source at one major UK retailer said their company's stock allocation had been around 25 per cent Digital Edition versus 75 per cent regular PS5, though this might vary slightly from store to store.

Other sources claimed the ratio was even higher, with ratios around 20 per cent Digital Edition to 80 per cent regular PS5 suggested.

Over the weekend, Ars Technica polled GameStop stores in the US and found a similar situation over the pond. Stock allocation for nine GameStop outlets across the country ranged from as low as 13 per cent Digital Edition up to 33 per cent, with an overall average of 25 per cent Digital Edition stock altogether.

PlayStation has never cautioned customers that the Digital Edition might be harder to get hold of. It is simply presented as one of two equal PlayStation 5 options - and cheaper because it does not contain a disc drive.
www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation 5 Digital Edition stock far lower than standard PS5, sources say

Sony's £450 PlayStation 5 sold out fast when pre-orders opened last week. But pre-orders for the £360 PlayStation 5 Dig…

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
If I was in charge of stock at Sony this is the ratio I would have picked.

Better to have too many Disc ones than people being forced into digital and giving up a feature they want.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
At first this is expected but give it a few months after release and i don't think there will be any problems trying to get a hold of the digital version

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Said this in a couple of threads already but, yeah, my local Smyths (large retail park store) had ZERO allocation of Digital Editions. I had no issue walking in and getting a disc version.

Two of us queuing at opening time. Both wanted the digital edition, both just bought the disc edition because it's all they had available.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll just keep on waiting for the digital edition to restock.

Not about that dinosaur tech disc drive being in my living room :D

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
They were going to sell out this year regardless. Might as well sell more of the expensive one.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Figures - Amazon UK had the disc edition up for about 15 minutes worth of preordering, the DE barely lasted 5

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Kind of annoyed, they should be selling digital directly if the retailers are being a pain about it. Unless digital was some last second decision they made and are truly struggling to produce them.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
May be logical move.

1. Most early adopters will buy disc version;
2. Sony is loosing more money on Digital Edition;

May be the ratio will change every year, because Sony will need to face the low price of Series S. I wont be surprised if DE will become the dominant version after 4-5 years with around 75% of the produced PS5s.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I heard the same story from some friends in Italy, at both Gamestop and Media World. I don't think this is going to last up until launch, but it will be nice to hear Sony's response.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
things will stabilize and the months after the launch week, I'm sure

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
As I expected. The Majority of people who buy consoles At launch want the top spec'ed version even if they won't use the functionality so even people who plan to be digital only next gen will picked up the disc version so they have all options available.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If we look at ign recent poll from 110k voters 8% chose digital edition and 60% chose normal edition .

You have to keep in mind that Sony keeps demand also in mind at launch

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Sony knows most people still would rather have a disc version even with the $100 delta
Sony knows that early adopters will probably go for the most expensive and "traditional/conservative" option while also bleeding money on the DE for now. I guess in the future they'll increase DE production as the player base is converting to full digital.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
It's a nifty idea with Sony because they can market the PS5 at £359.99 for the digital edition which is a really strong price point and then due to "shortages" up sell the regular edition which has a lot more stock and folks won't feel all that hard done by when they attempt to order it since you can still do all the things on a Disc version compared to the digital edition.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Said this in a couple of threads already but, yeah, my local Smyths (large retail park store) had ZERO allocation of Digital Editions. I had no issue walking in and getting a disc version.

Two of us queuing at opening time. Both wanted the digital edition, both just bought the disc edition because it's all they had available.

I got a digital one in Smyths (Ireland).

Wonder if Smyths had anything to say about how many digital ones they got

Oct 27, 2017
As I expected. The Majority of people who buy consoles At launch want the top spec'ed version even if they won't use the functionality so even people who plan to be digital only next gen will picked up the disc version so they have all options available.
This could be true in general, but it's certainly not clear at these allocations.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty obvious move, marketing can say PS5 from $399 which is true but good luck getting one. Most people will just give up trying to get one and get the $499 version and Sony loses less money per console sold.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Expected as they probably take a bigger loss on it, I think this will change over time.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So it really was just to have a "starting at $399" price tag it seems.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah as expected. It pretty much exists so that they can reach that $399 point, but considering the loss they're no doubt taking they aren't going to push it hard.

I expect when manufacturing costs for the PS5 start to decrease, production of the DE will ramp up.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Makes sense to make more of the most expensive one when it's all gonna sell out anyways.
And the demand for the all digital version is probably a bit less certain.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty obvious move, marketing can say PS5 from $399 which is true but good luck getting one. Most people will just give up trying to get one and get the $499 version and Sony loses less money per console sold.
Yeah, I think it is this. Also, I'm willing to bet most people who were refreshing for pre-orders are the type of people that would rather have disc drive.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
Its a pretty logical move and is primarily financial. They accomplished two goals:

1.) Get PR accolades for having lower priced model
2.) Restrict supply of cheaper model knowing everything available will sell.

= Mitigated losses

I bought a disc model because there weren't any DE available, not because I wanted it. But I did want a PS5, so they get exactly what they wanted.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Not surprised at all.

1) Early adopters are typically your most ardent customer base, and consequently the least price sensitive. You want to funnel them into the more expensive box with smaller losses for you.

2) Restricting stock of the DE PS5, also means restricting the losses incurred from selling it, while you wait for manufacturing costs to drop. Meanwhile you get all of the ads and headlines around the value of a $399 console that most people can't actually buy yet. I won't be at all shocked if stock of the Series S is similarly limited for pre-orders, for the exact same reasons.

It only exists so they can put "$399" in ads instead of "$499".

Exactly.

3bada

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There were 0 DEs for preorder across the Middle East, only the standard edition

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Makes sense for launch for a few reasons. Would suck to need a disc version and not be able to get it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think it is this. Also, I'm willing to bet most people who were refreshing for pre-orders are the type of people that would rather have disc drive.

Anecdotally speaking, I wasn't. I wanted the digital edition. Ended up spending £90 more than I wanted to for a disc drive because it was all that was available.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
25:75 or 20:80 is honestly not a conspiracy theory range. It's pretty much in line with most of the polls and traditionally more people will be interested to get the disc compared to the digital. Sony will surely readjust the production once it's launched and they have more grasp on what the future demand would be.

I will get the disc version when I do get one because I have a lot of PS4 discs lol, although it's still not available for preorder here :x

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Do you think this is because DE editions were sold out (more popular because of the price), or because they didn't make enough? Or both?

Also, I know you wanted the DE, but I think it will be nice to have the disc - since you didn't have any choice, I guess, look at it positively :)

Raigor

May 14, 2020
399 is a big loss for Sony, no wonder they shipped more disk versions.

They are using digital as a good marketing tool and to lure people into the digital ecosystem if they can't afford the 499 console right now