• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suw4rbox

Alt-Account.
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er-sampling-tested-big-boosts-for-1080p-users

The new super-sampling option is a very welcome addition for Pro users, ensuring that any and all high resolution support previously locked to ultra HD screens now translates into SSAA downscaling on the Pro's 1080p output. It serves to address a genuine grievance users of Sony's supercharged PS4 have had for some time - the notion that they're not getting full access to the complete capabilities of their machine.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So happy that they've added this feature. Having universal supersampling was the big reason I picked up an Xbox One X over a Pro (as a 1080p user) and this will make it much more likely that I'll grab a Pro in the future when they're a bit cheaper.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's about time they added it but i think i will just stick with my PS4 if it's gonna drop framerates. I will take a solid 30fps at 1080p over 24fps with a better image quality.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The comparison images in the article suggest however that none of the now forced supersampling looks as crisp and clear as games that supersample by default (especially visible in the The Last Guardian, Call of Duty and Metal Gear Solid images).
From my own experience supersampled games normaly have crisper textures and more detail. In these comparison pics all supersampled images look blurrier, textures have less detail. Is this system wide supersampling solution not as effective as in games supersampling on their own?

Last edited:

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what should I set Monster Hunter to? Framerate and or Graphics, and still get 4k downsample?
resolution

The comparison images in the article suggest however that none of the now forced supersampling looks as crisp and clear as games that supersample by default. From my own experience supersampled games normaly have crisper textures and more detail. In these comparion pics all supersampled images look blurrier, textures have less detail. Is this system wide solution not as effective as with games supersampling on their own?
Correct me if im wrong but downsampling is effectively an AA method, which sometimes makes the game blurrier, and not something thatll give you 4k sharpness on a 1080p screen.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Usually games look crisper as well, especially textures and texture filtering. Where's the Titanfall comparison pic that shows so well what downsampling on the Pro does when needed, lol?

Edit: Found it:
aBn9Vl.png

The recent Shadow of the Colossus for example too looks much crisper and less blurry in 1440p downsampled than the 1080p base PS4 version or the 1080p PS4 Pro performance version.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
But it seems some hiccups occur like missing graphical featires (disabling AO in Rocket League) and the best way to play PS4 Pro games is still by having a 4K HDR TV.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope this feacture move on to the next generations too.
I guess little has left to ask from feedback except 'change PSN'.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
But it seems some hiccups occur like missing graphical featires (disabling AO in Rocket League) and the best way to play PS4 Pro games is still by having a 4K HDR TV.
It would be missing AO on a 4K screen too. The software is behaving exactly as if it's outputting to a 4K screen, so there are no graphical or performance differences.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a quick grab of the comparison pics of the article:

39267214535_43b2bb7670_o.png

Yeah, jaggies are mostly gone, but apart from that the image quality looks worse in each supersampled image. What is going on there?
From my own experience games that downsample on their own do usually look crisper and clearer than they do in 1080p resolution. Like Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Colossus...

Arxisz

Nov 1, 2017
This is pretty disappointing if you look at the screenshots, most games turn into a blurry mess when you turn the option on, the desired effect you want ( crisp, clear) is completely lost.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Screenshots or youtube videos won't do it enough justice. It should be a lot more apparent in motion as shimmering is noticeably gone.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The only game where it not really works is FF XIV. You can literally see that it was never meant to get downsampled, the whole HUD is downsampled too which means its very small on a 1080p screen and it doesn't improves the screen that much, it also runs like crap in that mode, even in housing areas it goes down from smooth 50-60 frames to under 30, don't want to know how it is in a huge fight on 4K.

An explanation would be wonderful unless you mean downsampling makes games jaggier and upscales them.

What I mean is what I said, it's the complete opposite, it makes games look razor sharp and clean as a whistle, it does gives you 4K greatness on a 1080p screen. In most occasions, it let your games look like a painting because of the perfect anti aliasing and way improved screen clearness.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Here's a quick grab of the comparison pics of the article:

39267214535_43b2bb7670_o.png

Yeah, jaggies are mostly gone, but apart from that the image quality looks worse in each supersampled image. What is going on there?
From my own experience games that downsample on their own do usually look crisper and clearer than they do in 1080p resolution. Like Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Colossus...
Sounds like a result from checkerboarding losing some pixel detail on the textures. That doesn't happen on non checkerboard games looking at the comparison tool.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A picture speaks more than a thousand words. ;) Here's an image of how a downsampled image usually looks in comparison to just 1080p:

aBn9Vl.png
titanfall 2 base dropped to 720p, while pro was mostly locked 1440p. So this comparison is might be affected by that.

What I mean is what I said, it's the complete opposite, it makes games look razor sharp and clean as a whistle, it does gives you 4K greatness on a 1080p screen. In most occasions, it let your games look like a painting because of the perfect anti aliasing and way improved screen clearness.

so what you're saying is display resolution only acts as a detriment to the image?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the higher pixel count also results in a higher quality depth of field, which could explain some of the blurriness. But looking specifically at the last MGS V screenshot, it's almost as if there is an AF-pass missing. I guess that might also be something stemming from the resolution being 1440p (or any other non-native/non-multiplicative for other games).

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Very welcome news, I bought a Pro a while ago but have not even been mildy tempted to buy a 4k tv

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Well, it's true that it doesn't give you '4k sharpness on a 1080p screen'.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Sony for listening to their users and implementing this feature. I use it whenever possible on my 1080p monitor.

Hope this feacture move on to the next generations too.
I guess little has left to

Name change, gifting, and store refunds are what I'm hoping for still.

Oct 25, 2017
Wish we had some Kingdom Hearts comparison shots.

Indeed you are wrong. Not all AA methods blur the image. Supersampling is the best (alas, more power hungry) AA method for IQ and it doesn't blur the image.
Depends on the scaling method. DSR for example relies on the Gaussian filter in the form of a Blur percentage slider. The only way for you to get a clear image downsampling with DSR is to set Blur to 0% and downsample from 4X the resolution, so native 4K to 1080p, for example.

Using driver downsampling, the oldest OGSSAA method, I never got good results downsampling from 1440p, it always looked blurry to me and worse than native, so not unlike some of these shots. Driver downsampling was only worth it to me starting from 2880x1620, but really noticeable from 3200x1800 and higher.

Then there's bicubic and lanczos, that you get through GeDoSaTo, in my experience they're always the best options and give you the best image quality from any resolution, but I doubt the PS4 is using one of them.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow, so Bloodborne on a Pro renders at 1080p right even on 4K TV? So it will make the game look even better on Pro?

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
The option to force SSAA is a positive move overall and further caveats to this approach are minor: one small issue is that text and HUD overlays also get scaled down in the process - where the game deploys its 4K assets on the assumption an appropriate display is connected. The resulting scale to 1080p operates at a system level, adding a touch of blur to these elements, something you don't typically see with native 1080p HUDs.

So it's how I thought it'd be: the Pro is tricked into believing it's connected to a 4K display.

This means the final composited 4K output is down scaled to 1080p, and this includes UI elements.

So in the case of GT Sport, the flow is:
- 1800cb upscale to 4K, add 4K UI, downscale all to 1080p, output

Whereas the optimum would be:
- 1800cb, downscale to 1080p, add 1080p UI, output

This is pretty disappointing.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Awesome! This is a fantastic feature for 1080p PRO owners (like me)! It really should've been there from the start tho.
it's about time they added it but i think i will just stick with my PS4 if it's gonna drop framerates. I will take a solid 30fps at 1080p over 24fps with a better image quality.
I think you've been misinformed. PS4 games on Pro generally run better/smoother than the do on the base model. In fact, I can't think of any games, even in high res modes, that actually run worse on Pro. Boost Mode also provides ample benefits to the generates of unpatched games.
Oh wow, so Bloodborne on a Pro renders at 1080p right even on 4K TV? So it will make the game look even better on Pro?
No, I don't think you understand how supersampling works. It only affects games running at a resolution higher than 1080p. It effectively takes that higher resolution, and squishes it down to 1080p, resulting in greatly improved image quality. It won't affect BloodBorne, because that game only runs at 1080p.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Awesome! This is a fantastic feature for 1080p PRO owners (like me)! It really should've been there from the start tho.

I think you've been misinformed. PS4 games on Pro generally run better/smoother than the do on the base model. In fact, I can't think of any games, even in high res modes, that actually run worse on Pro. Boost Mode also provides ample benefits to the generates of unpatched games.
No, I don't think you understand how supersampling works. It only affects games running at a resolution higher than 1080p. It effectively takes that higher resolution, and squishes it down to 1080p, resulting in greatly improved image quality. It won't affect BloodBorne, because that game only runs at
1080p.
Pro patched games generally run better than games running on a regular PS4. There is maybe a handfull that run worse, Skyrim is the only one that comes to mind. But yeah supersampling by itself wouldn't make a game run worse.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017

No, I don't think you understand how supersampling works. It only affects games running at a resolution higher than 1080p. It effectively takes that higher resolution, and squishes it down to 1080p, resulting in greatly improved image quality. It won't affect BloodBorne, because that game only runs at 1080p.

Ah ok yeah I didnt understand that. Man sucks so bad, Bloodborne is one of my top games of all time and it already looks good on Pro even with no official support (boost mode seems to improve it a little). Imagines at 4K on PS4 or 1440p/60 fps on my PC...