• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
www.eurogamer.net

PS5 is a surefire hit, but Sony's broken promises are eroding trust

As the PlayStation 5 showcase ended, with aggressive price points for both the PS5 and its Digital Edition, a staggered…

Eurogamer has just released a critical article regarding Sony's current strategy with PS5.

As the PlayStation 5 showcase ended, with aggressive price points for both the PS5 and its Digital Edition, a staggered release date (we get it a week later than the US, which is a shame but in the current circumstances I understand), and the announcement of Final Fantasy 16, the next God of War and, most exciting of all, a decent look at the wondrous Demon's Souls running on PS5, I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing. Pumped, even.

And then, almost as quickly as the show ended, reality bit. In just a few tweets Geoff Keighley became a better Sony spokesperson than anyone on the company's PR team, announcing that, actually, some of these fancy games we had thought were PS5 exclusives... weren't.

First up, the revelation that Spider-Man: Miles Morales, which looked great running on PS5 during the show, is also coming to PlayStation 4. Huh.

Then the biggest bombshell: Horizon: Forbidden West, Guerrilla's hotly anticipated PS5 showcase, is also coming to PS4. Huh!

Then a kerfuffle about Demon's Souls, which, the PS5 showcase event told us, was not available on "other consoles" for a limited time, and was also available on PC. Did that mean it was set for PS4?

Remarkably, Sony pulled its trailer from the PlayStation YouTube channel, re-uploading it to remove mention of PC. This was "human error", we were told.

Last night, there was a lot of human error flying around at Sony, wasn't there?

What happened to all Sony's guff about believing in generations? It was a load of old rubbish, it seems. Whether you believe in Microsoft's philosophy of launching its games across generations (I have concerns about the Xbox One holding games back, as I know some in the development community do), at least the company was honest about it.

Here's what Sony's Jim Ryan told our sister site GamesIndustry.biz in May:

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

The suggestion at the time was that Sony's announced PS5 exclusives were just that - PS5 exclusives. Sony, we were led to believe, was taking a different approach to its rival, Microsoft, which had for months taken flak for its cross-gen strategy. Today, Ryan's quote comes across as a misleading statement designed to score a cheap PR win in the war with Microsoft. If Halo Infinite is hobbled by Xbox One, shouldn't we now express concern that Horizon: Forbidden West is hampered by PS4?

In August, Sony confirmed the PS4 Dualshock won't work with PS5 games. Explaining its decision, Sony said it believed "PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we're bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller".

Well, if Spider-Man: Miles Morales is coming out on PS4, why can't you play it on a PS5 with a DualShock?

Is this all just a communication cock-up? I wouldn't put it past Sony, given its record down the years. Even the announcement of Final Fantasy 16 - an old-school megaton fit for an E3 stage - has not been without its controversy. Square Enix won't properly answer questions about the nature of the game's exclusivity, despite Sony signalling timed console exclusivity during its event. According to an analyst I've spoken to, Final Fantasy 16 is six months full exclusive on PS5, and 12 months console exclusive. That suggests it's coming out on PC six months after launching on PS5, and on Xbox Series X a year later. Why not be honest and just say that? Because video games, apparently.

But the worst thing about all this is Sony's broken promise about PS5 pre-orders. In August, Sony said it wouldn't surprise-reveal PS5 pre-orders. "I think it's safe to say, we'll let you know when pre-orders will happen," PlayStation worldwide marketing head, Eric Lempel said.

"It's not going to happen with a minute's notice. We're going to at some point let you know when you can pre-order a PS5 so please don't feel like you have to go run and line up anywhere until you receive official notice on how that will work."

Last night, shortly after Sony's PS5 showcase ended, pre-orders opened up at select retailers, and fans scrambled to put their money down. Pre-orders literally went live before Sony made an official announcement that they were going live. That doesn't sound like a minute's notice to me.

The events of last night soured what should have been an exciting, feel-good moment for video game fans and for PlayStation. Sony now looks disingenuous - devious, even. I don't for one minute think Sony's actions will materially harm the success of the PS5. Just look how pre-orders are flying off the virtual shelves! But I'm worried we're seeing a return to the "arrogant Sony" we saw as the company went into the release of the PlayStation 3.

I have absolute faith in all of Sony's wonderful developers who I'm sure will create fantastic PlayStation games I will be desperate to play on PS5. But I'm finding it increasingly difficult to trust a word that comes out of the executives' mouths. Is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart a PS5 exclusive? Is Gran Turismo 7? Despite Sony's insistence that it is a PS5 exclusive, will Demon's Souls also come to "other platforms"?

Sony, we can handle the truth - even if it hurts.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I read this earlier and it's all true. Their messaging has been completely off.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I said this in another topic, but broadly backtracking on PS4 and supporting it for longer should be seen as a consumer friendly concession... In any other software/hardware space I've ever seen, legacy support is valued, and companies don't do enough of it. There is far too much planned obsolescence. Look at Android phones for a prime example. How is this anything but a huge win for anyone already in the ps4 ecosystem, now you don't have to upgrade right away!

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I was under the impression retailers went ahead and put up pre-orders after the event.

Weren't Sony planning to go live today?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To the hardcore sure, but casuals don't give a shit. They'd be overjoyed at the prospect of the next gen games on the PS4.

As for the preorder fiasco? Forgotten by March next year.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Damn, that's all totally true

I would expect more from the market leader, but looks like they are afraid and can't keep their word

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The pre order quote from Sony looks so bad.

How could that showcase last night not even mention pre orders after the fiasco which happened shortly after.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That title is the absolute truth. I know I'm getting a PS5 down the line and I know they're gonna have the hottest exclusives, but the deception and obfuscation is really, really weak.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
inb4 locked

The messaging surrounding the PS5 been intentionally confusing, and its a shame that such a cool console had to get this kind of marketing. I get that DeS was an error, but the cross-gen announcements directly conflict with the messaging that they had earlier this year. I can't wrap my head around leading 100m+ PS4 owners into believing that Ghosts of Tsushima was going to be their last main PS4 game.

They did the complete opposite of "giving advance notice" for PS5 pre-orders. It was more important for them to quickly beat MS to the pre-orders than to effectively communicate with their 100m+ fans.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I was under the impression retailers went ahead and put up pre-orders after the event.

Weren't Sony planning to go live today?

Sony should have had more control over that regardless. Micorsoft is apparently being very firm about their release date, and also gave way more advanced notice (not just less than 24 hours). Retailers are partially to blame, yes, but it's obvious Sony did this very haphazardly on their end as well.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Yup terrible marketing, messaging from day one, hard to believe it's the same team that was there for the PS4 but they will be fine cause PlayStation is too damn strong

duck the raising in price too

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I said this in another topic, but broadly backtracking on PS4 and supporting it for longer should be seen as a consumer friendly concession... In any other software/hardware space I've ever seen, legacy support is valued, and companies don't do enough of it. There is far too much planned obsolescence. Look at Android phones for a prime example. How is this anything but a huge win for anyone already in the ps4 ecosystem, now you don't have to upgrade right away!

I don't think anybody is debating this, but you're missing the point I'm afraid.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a good thing to do.

Which is why they should have just been straight up about it rather than spreading FUD to win over the hardcore.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
They are right, add to that the price hike for first party games, no UI shown, Spider-Man remastered for PS5 seemingly only available if you buy Miles Morales Ultimate Edition the whole thing has a bit of a bad aftertaste to me.

Dualshock 4 not being compatible with PS5 is a big bummer sigh..

also this...to me it seems Sony is in full arrogant mode again now.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So Walmart broke the preorder start date... and thats Sony's fault

Sony has two cross-gen games... and now they lied about believing in generations

They've had some messaging fuck-ups, some of them highly preventable, but come on

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
People are really mad that PS4 owners will be able to play MM and the new Horizon huh.

It's not like it's the same company who released God of War II exclusive to PS2 one year after the PS3 was released. And released a whole bunch of first-party exclusives on PS3 on the releasing year of PS4... at least now some of it will be cross-gen.

The Demon's Souls error was bizarre for sure, can't have excuses for that.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add 'Devious Sony' to the list.

And even a mention of Arrogant Sony.

Yeah Sony are being brazen and odd. Why they didn't say Spidey or Demons were launch games during the show I do not know.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I say in order to win back my trust, they ought to just make Demon's Souls available on the PS4 so I don't have to get a PS5, ya?

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. Problem is they used the backlash at MS to score cheap pr points just to go back on it later.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've feel like they been unclear about almost everything regarding their next gen endeavors since the drip feed started.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, it's the worst messaging of this gen and it's intentional to make PS5 more appealing. They could just be upfront about it and no one would bat an eye but they went ahead with "we believe in generations" bs while hiding the fact that two of their big games are releasing on PS4 too.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives being cross gen is dead last on my list of complaints, right after bad PR comms.

The actual issues to me are the price of games, abysmal launch lineup, abysmal BC support, and the freaking size of the thing (sorry, but it actually matters to me). I'm sure it will be a great platform in 2 or 3 years.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Hard to argue with it.

But like they say, probably doesn't mean anything long term.
agreed, Fair critique to me but definitely quickly forgotten. but in the same instance with the PS4 news, this is almost in the same vein of them giving PC some PS4 games as well. It defintely would be nice for some transparency on this. But also when i see what games are coming to PS4 they are probably the easiest ones that probably wont have major impact to the PS5 Versions.
Definitely need confirmation about GOW and GT7. it seems R&C is next gen only. so i think def clarity on this would be good.

But overall i think this is super great for existing owners and after being loyal for 7 years to sony and being responsible for their success i think them giving these games as a gift to them is a good thing for sony to do. even if we hardcore folks do worry about how much this holds back the next gen.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So Walmart broke the preorder start date... and thats Sony's fault

Sony has two cross-gen games... and now they lied about believing in generations

They've had some messaging fuck-ups, some of them highly preventable, but come on
If Sony made promises they couldn't keep, it's not entirely their fault, but no one made them make those promises.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A huge number of people, from positions high and low, moved on from Sony in 2018 and 2019, its people like that could make the right decisions, and say the right things, that are missing now

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Eurogamer are on the money here. It was still a mostly good conference but Sony's messaging has been confusing as hell to follow throughout this entire next-gen reveal.

Nate and MVG's latest podcast episode was also focused around this issue, I'm glad people are highlighting the issue more eloquently than I ever could:

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I tend to believe the Demon's Souls "error" is bullshit. I think PR got skittish after seeing scores of people saying how relieved they were they didn't need to buy PS5 to play *the* premier PS5 launch title and it spooked them into backtracking on the messaging. I think we'll see DeS PC 6-12 months later.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing disappointing for me is all the only next gen I was excited is cross gen,so I will have to wait for what,another 4~5 years for the true next gen Horizon and God of War.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
At this point, it feels like it doesn't really matter. Sony is up there with Nintendo now where they can mess up a lot of things, but people will still pay for their stuff regardless.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
People are really mad that PS4 owners will be able to play MM and the new Horizon huh.

It's not like it's the same company who released God of War II exclusive to PS2 one year after the PS3 was released. And released a whole bunch of first-party exclusives on PS3 on the releasing year of PS4... at least now some of it will be cross-gen.

The article clearly explains the deviousness...It's even in the OP

They led fans to believe games would be built that only the PS5 could run at launch (Miles Morales, Horizon for example) and MS took a heaping of shit for saying they were backing cross gen.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to snag a preorder myself, but man was that horribly handled. How do you not at least give a heads up about preorders opening ? People that took them at their word were screwed this morning when all preorders were sold out

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

i didnt even know they did that.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I think this whole one Sony globalization has affected their messaging when it most likely was supposed to make it better. I think removing region specific leads has hurt communication.