• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, after the really rather interesting Eurogamer Staff Choice Game of the Year list (check it out here, and check out the ResetEra thread here), the readers of Eurogamer have taken matters into their own hands and delivered a Reader's Top 50. You can see the list below, and check out their full write ups here (which I encourage you to):

50. The Sexy Brutale
49. Middle-earth: Shadow of War
48. Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy
47. Little Nightmares
46. Call of Duty: WW2
45. Pyre
44. Gravity Rush 2
43. injustice 2
42. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
41. The Evil Within 2
40. Wipeout Omega Collection
39. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim VR
38. Hollow Knight
37. Night in the Woods
36. Thimbleweed Park
35. Total War: Warhammer 2
34. Ghost Recon Wildlands
33. Nex Machina
32. Fortnite
31. Stardew Valley
30. Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider
29. Mass Effect Andromeda
28. ARMS
27. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
26. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
25. Forza Motorsport 7
24. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
23. What Remains of Edith Finch
22. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
21. Gran Turismo Sport
20. Splatoon 2
19. Destiny 2
18. Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
17. Nioh
16. Sonic Mania
15. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
14. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
13. Yakuza 0
12. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
11. Cuphead
10. Prey
09. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
08. Divinity: Original Sin 2
07. Assassin's Creed Origins
06. Resident Evil VII
05. NieR Automata
04. Persona 5
03. Horizon: Zero Dawn
02. Super Mario Odyssey
01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

For my taste, this is a far better list than the staff one was (although I continue to remain baffled at the placement of Mass Effect); that said, the flip side is it is definitely a more boring and safe list than the staff one was, which was gloriously unpredictable and exciting.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if this what Era's list ends up looking like. As you said OP, this is very much a safe, predictable list (especially the top 5) with only a handful of outliers. Games like Divinity aren't going to perform as well here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
06. Resident Evil VII
05. NieR Automata
04. Persona 5
03. Horizon: Zero Dawn
02. Super Mario Odyssey
01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2017 was definitely insane.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This list makes sense though somehow there will still be meltdowns.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
Just seeing all these games and knowing they came out all in one year is amazing. The list is full of classics that will be regarded as some of the best games ever made. 2017 really was a great year in gaming.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd swap Mario and Horizon (I haven't played Mario Odyssey), and place Mario+Rabbids in fourth. But otherwise, this is a solid list and order.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least they had the good sense to put most of the better games above mass effect. That alone makes it a better list than eurogamer's staff list.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
This top makes way more sense than their editors' one tbh.
Hard to find many issues with that list really, most games worth something were nominated, unlike the weird PES/FIFA mentions last time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you are literally stating the reason why in your comment, what is confusing?
I'm not actually sure what you are taking issue with lol; I dislike Andromeda, and don't think it deserves a placement that high. I am expressing my confusion that it got that high. Just like people who like the game are allowed to express their opinion on it by placing it that high, I am allowed to express my disagreement at their opinion.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised (but pleased) to see Prey so high up considering it did not sell very well.

Also thought Middle Earth would rank a lot higher in a people's choice.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not actually sure what you are taking issue with lol; I dislike Andromeda, and don't think it deserves a placement that high. I am expressing my confusion that it got that high. Just like people who like the game are allowed to express their opinion on it by placing it that high, I am allowed to express my disagreement at their opinion.
I'm not talking about disagreeing or agreeing. I'm talking about thinking that because you didnt like it, it's confusing that other people did. You're basically assuming your perspective is some kind of default, thus that other like it that highly is cause for confusion.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm baffled at why Mass Effect keeps placing lol
It's a popular game, more people have played it. There's definitely an element of popularity contests to these reader's choice lists.

In fact, I'm surprised less popular indies like What Remains and Hellblade beat ME. Hell, I'm surprised ARMS edged it out

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This top makes way more sense than their editors' one tbh.
Hard to find many issues with that list really, most games worth something were nominated, unlike the weird PES/FIFA mentions last time.
Do you think the people who make up the PES/FIFA audience write on gaming boards?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about disagreeing or agreeing. I'm talking about thinking that because you didnt like it, it's confusing that other people did. You're basically assuming your perspective is some kind of default, thus that other like it that highly is cause for confusion.
No? I never said that anyone is wrong for liking Andromeda. I never said that their opinion is inferior because they do. My exact statement was: I continue to remain confused at Andromeda's placement.

All that implies is that the dissonance with my own opinion here perplexes me. That's literally it. You're reading way too much into it. Like, I get that you want to try and argue for the validity of all opinions, but in that case I also think you should be arguing with people who summarily dismiss others' opinions, which my post categorically did not do.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a popular game, more people have played it. There's definitely an element of popularity contests to these reader's choice lists.

In fact, I'm surprised less popular indies like What Remains and Hellblade beat ME. Hell, I'm surprised ARMS edged it out
In my experience, anecdotal though it is, I don't know anyone who played it and liked it enough to place it among their top games, but hey, it's a big world out there.

Oct 29, 2017
I usually like unpredictable lists much more. But that's because I like reading about excellent games I never heard about before and that I then want to play next.

Eurogamer's staff list was just pretty much all known games but in a weird order. In that case I prefer this one.

MiguelBañón

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
My top 10 has ended up being:

1. Persona 5
2. NieR Autómata
3. Zelda BotW
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Horizon Zero Dawn
6. Resident Evil 7
7. Cuphead
8. Wolfenstein 2
9. Splatoon 2
10. Nioh

So I guess that readers' list represents a little bit better the overall consens?

PS: Skyrim VR's on the list what the fuck.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The Top 5 is in line with what we've seen so far ( back and forth between Odyssey snd Horizon ). What a year for Breath of the Wild, but again what a fantastic year for gaming.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
This is just about the most predictable list possible, but then again that's no surprise.

When I voted on it, you couldn't just write down any game you wanted, but had to select form a pre-approved list. Which isn't really a surprise given the number of votes they had to process, but their list was very lacking in more obscure titles (out of my top 5, 2 were missing). Not that I think those games would get enough votes to show up, but just the very way the voting was setup prevents any real surprise games popping up.

Still, at least Pyre made it and Original Sin 2 is in the top 10, so it's a good list. Would have liked to see Tekken over Injustice though, but I'm not really surprised about it.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Much better list compared to the staff list so nothing really to complain about here lol.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair list at last.
Much better list compared to the staff list so nothing really to complain about here lol.
Agree. And if you follow eurogamer on twitter is strange to take serious that 'staff list' tweet because its a joking tweet at the same time.

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see Horizon up there with Mario and Zelda as I really appreciated the effort that new IP put in. Probably my 3 top games of the year right there. Mario and Rabbids was also incredibly fun.

Great year on the whole. Whew!