• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was probably worth a separate thread from the other.

This would be part of Odyssey's multiyear service and DLC plan.

It feels a little early to be talking about the series' future with Odyssey still to release. But with a fanbase kept happy with more Odyssey next year (whispers abound that the game will get an Atlantis-themed expansion down the line)
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-22-assassins-creed-will-take-a-year-off-in-2019

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
This sounds perfect to me. Great way to fill out an off year in my opinion, always wanted to explore an environment inspired by the Atlantis lore.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the sudden disappointment about the mythological/supernatural shift?

There's already footage of a Medusa fight in the main game.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I've always dreamt of a Uncharted with Atlantis, raise slightly my interest.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, why not just create a new IP?
Imagine watching Doctor Who and every time The Doctor goes to a new planet to solve some problem that's always inexplicably related to the Daleks or the Cybermen, someone pipes up and says, "Why isn't this a new IP?" It's not a new IP because it's Doctor Who. Because the entire reason this content exists in the first place is to flesh out the Whoverse.

They're likely gonna pull a Tomb Raider. Remember Natla? She used to run Altantis. Imagine if Atlantis were run by Isu. Probably not Juno, but someone... friendlier. Or maybe worse. Maybe Isu who survived the great collapse or something equally what-a-twist. Something that would explain why the city was never found. But ultimately something that helps flesh out the world building. That's one of the main reasons to do story DLC for singleplayer games -- world building.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The supernatural stuff in Origins is actually what brought me back into the series. I fell off pretty hard with Black Flag.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I swear I read earlier that there will be no new AC in 2019. If the expansion is a 2019 title that's sort of cheating ;'O

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Nice. The increase in mythological elements has made me interested in the series again. Probably gonna get Odyssey day 1.

How was the HDR in Origins on PC?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is this series even about anymore?
Using your time machine to go back in time and forcibly rewrite history so the Isu who created humans to be subservient slaves are never destroyed in the Great Collapse; hopefully creating a future where both species live in harmony, averting the upcoming destruction of the world that Desmond briefly delayed but did jack shit to actually fix because time self-corrects. Only you can "be the chaos that comes to be" in order to do some very drastic things to time and space that probably make you a bad guy in many people's eyes.

Like, that's the plan for the current story arc. After that arc completes the basic premise of the series will no longer exist. Dunno what they'll do then.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope there will be a few reference to the animated movie! Or even Stargate :O

Namaste

Oct 25, 2017
The supernatural stuff is my favorite part of the games I say bring it on. I find a lot of the other stories boring/dry.

Deleted member 30458

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So instead of bringing in another full-game in 2019 it'll be a big expansion ? Great. A new Rome game would have been interesting but could have been too similar to both Odyssey and Origins.

Oh man, now this series will no longer be realistic/grounded. Damn it.

It would be stupid to make games set in Ancient Egypt and Greece and not use the power of the myths from these civilisations. It's what makes them so intriguing and interesting to us more than 2000 years afterwards. It is well integrated in the overall game design, more RPG oriented and with more diversity than for example the black boxes of Unity.

Anyway the games ALWAYS (which means since the very first one) are based on science-fiction and superpowers through artifacts, then gods. So it never has been "realistic/grounded" at 100%.

The next games in 2020, depending on the context, will probably change the overall game design (less RPG, more focused on infiltration, I don't know) and may then have less superpowers (most notably in boss fights).

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
AC has always seemed boring to me but this has me interested finally. Will need to see a lot more though before I consider playing.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using your time machine to go back in time and forcibly rewrite history so the Isu who created humans to be subservient slaves are never destroyed in the Great Collapse; hopefully creating a future where both species live in harmony, averting the upcoming destruction of the world that Desmond briefly delayed but did jack shit to actually fix because time self-corrects. Only you can "be the chaos that comes to be" in order to do some very drastic things to time and space that probably make you a bad guy in many people's eyes.

Like, that's the plan for the current story arc. After that arc completes the basic premise of the series will no longer exist. Dunno what they'll do then.
Break the Code, Change the Nodes.

Maybe they'll put the series to bed and do something else?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DLC ideas are always infinitely more interesting than the main games. Should've made an Atlantis main game, you cowards.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it'll include a mission where you can jump over sharks
1507074236-0.jpg

Fonz skin please.

The supernatural stuff was always part of Assassin's Creed. I don't care if they want to have fun exploring locations that are not very realistic, as long as they do something interesting with them.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer, the blatantly supernatural stuff like this is so lame in the AC series.

Yup not a fan of it either. To me it shows that they don't take DLC seriously and use it for wacky spinoff ideas that wouldn't fly in the main game. They do this in Far Cry too.

I wish more companies would treat DLC like Blood and Wine or like a lot of the good stuff we got last gen from games like Deus Ex HR, Mass Effect 2& 3, Bioshock 2 etc. I guess some stand alone expansions from this gen would count too like Uncharted LL and dishonored death of the outsider.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
There's no Assassin's Creed next year, and Yves said the DLC will be more substantial for this game. I'm actually picturing a lot of crazy stuff like this. If last year managed to have two DLC packs then this one will likely have 4-5.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
If we get an Atlantis expansion and maybe a Rome Expansion around next Christmas it might curb the massive disappointment I am feeling about no Assassin's Creed next year.

I swear I read earlier that there will be no new AC in 2019. If the expansion is a 2019 title that's sort of cheating ;'O
He said no full fledged Assassins Creed. Extensive DLC is not a cheat.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Break the Code, Change the Nodes.

Maybe they'll put the series to bed and do something else?
Assassin's Creed has always struggled with the desire to tell a coherent story with a meaningful end vs riding this gravy train until it crashes. They really sabotaged themselves when they decided to start stringing the series along with new characters and new premise gimmicks. I think Origins/Odyssey/game after that are supposed to be a trilogy but what comes after that is unclear.

I do wish Ubisoft would send the series out on a high with some a final game that blows away series expectations, and with an ending that firmly closes the door, instead of making more and more games until they eventually don't sell well enough an then retiring them. That just becomes sad.

Even though they spun their wheels for a while, the AC series has continued to move towards a conclusion. But they have to reach it at some point. They can't drag it out FOREVER. That would be just insulting. If they don't end the series, they're gonna need to come along with a twist at the end of the trilogy that changes everything. Something crazy like becoming trapped in the past, or trapped in a nightmarish simulation of reality. Go full Alan Wake or some shit. Make a survival horror game starring Layla or something. There's nothing wrong with giving the market what it wants (more games like AC: Origins, basically) but you can't do it indefinitely.

Last edited:

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
This rumor was floating around a couple months ago when Odyssey first leaked, I think.

I've definitely heard it before anyway.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed has always struggled with the desire to tell a coherent story with a meaningful end vs riding this gravy train until it crashes. They really sabotaged themselves when they decided to start stringing the series along with new characters and new premise gimmicks. I think Origins/Odyssey/game after that are supposed to be a trilogy but what comes after that is unclear.

I do wish Ubisoft would send the series out on a high with some a final game that blows away series expectations, and with an ending that firmly closes the door, instead of making more and more games until they eventually don't sell well enough an then retiring them. That just becomes sad.

Even though they spun their wheels for a while, the AC series has continued to move towards a conclusion. But they have to reach it at some point. They can't drag it out FOREVER. That would be just insulting. If they don't end the series, they're gonna need to come along with a twist at the end of the trilogy that changes everything. Something crazy like becoming trapped in the past, or trapped in a nightmarish simulation of reality. Go full Alan Wake or some shit. Make a survival horror game starring Layla or something. There's nothing wrong with giving the market what it wants (more games like AC: Origins, basically) but you can't do it indefinitely.
A great way to end it would be to have a big portion of the last game take place in the Isu Era.