• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
"If it is perceived as simple money-making, I would like to make a decision not to proceed."​

Sega has abandoned plans to embrace NFTs following "negative reactions" from gamers.

In an interview with Tweak Town, Sega CEO Haruki Satomi acknowledged the publisher would like to "try out various [NFT] experiments", but was quick to say "nothing is decided at this point" and the company would have to "carefully assess" "what will be accepted and what will not be by the users".

"In terms of NFT, we would like to try out various experiments and we have already started many different studies and considerations but nothing is decided at this point regarding P2E," Satomi said (thanks, VGC).

"There have been many announcements about this already including at overseas but there are users who show negative reactions at this point.

"We need to carefully assess many things such as how we can mitigate the negative elements, how much we can introduce this within the Japanese regulation, what will be accepted and what will not be by the users.

"Then, we will consider this further if this leads to our mission 'Constantly Creating, Forever Captivating', but if it is perceived as simple money-making, I would like to make a decision not to proceed."

Satomi's comments come less than a year after Sega indicated in April 2021 that it would "start selling NFT digital contents that utilise blockchain technology" last year. They follow a raft of NFT announcements from other publishers, including Ubisoft - which seemingly sold 15 NFTs in the first month they launched - and Konami, which confirmed Castlevania artwork, video clips and music tracks will be hawked as NFTs on the OpenSea auction site next week using the controversial Ethereum currency.

Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda also recently published a letter in which he expresses hope that NFTs and blockchain technology will become a "major trend" in gaming.

In a New Year's letter, Matsuda expressed what he believes will be major areas of growth for the industry in 2022, including cloud gaming, AI, and blockchain games. The latter "are built upon the premise of a token economy and therefore hold the potential to enable self-sustaining game growth," said Matsuda.

www.eurogamer.net

Sega stalls NFT plans following "negative reactions" from players

Sega has abandoned plans to embrace NFTs following "negative reactions" from gamers.In an interview with Tweak Town, Se…

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix next

jessie-jessie-ffvii.gif

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It is always correct to bully corporations and anybody who is involved in NFTs.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For reference, Derek from TT didn't have a direct interview with Satomi, his comments came from the same strategy management meeting listed here:

And referenced in the Sonic Frontiers quip about delaying by a year thread:
www.resetera.com

Sonic Frontiers was supposed to come out in 2021, but was delayed to further brush up the quality of the game News - Sega

Hopefully they made the most of the extra time, & I'm glad SEGA & Sonic Team didn't rush to get Frontiers out for the 30th Anniversary. Source: SEGA Sammy Holdings

On the other hand, in seperate questions, Satomi may work with partners on NFT, and are thinking about dabbling with the metaverse:
Q: As for the concept about the additional growth investment of 100.0 billion yen, it seems this is an additional investment in addition to the base, but in the first place, how much is your base annual investments? Can you also share the area you are planning to invest (e.g. expansion of existing IPs, creation of new IPs, creation of Super Game, etc.) and the scale of investment in each area?

A: The image of base R&D expenses is about 50.0 billion yen per year at the moment. In future phase, R&D expenses are expected to increase as we are proceeding aggressive recruitment in domestic and overseas for the further enhancement of R&D resources. We are also expecting the reinforce of R&D resource by M&A, etc. within this additional investment of 100.0 billion yen. We'd also like to invest in maintenance of office environment in addition to aggressive recruitment, as the working environment, especially for overseas studios, is highly regarded and partially this leads to the creation of hit titles. Other expected area for investment are acquisition of IPs and supplementation of value chains. We think our value chains are still weak in order to compete in global and online game market. As the expertise is being acquired through the roll-out of "PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2", we'd like to invest to enhance this. Also, about acquisition of IPs, we would like to consider if there are good studios, regardless of whether it is domestic or overseas. Although we would like to consider various possibilities, since M&A is subject to the circumstances of the other party, and at the same time, it is important that the acquisition price is reasonable, we will proceed with careful consideration. I also think that it would be better to work with partners on new technologies and domains, including NFT, rather than dealing with them in-house, and I would like to consider investing in such fields.

Q: I guess this is related to NFT and P2E, but "Metaverse" is becoming a buzz word in recent year. Please tell us how SEGA defines this word and how you see the business opportunities, etc., with this.

A: As for the definition of Metaverse, I perceive it as a place where the people gather and communities are generated. For example, I think the reason why "Fortnite" and "Animal Grossing" is called Metaverse, is that many people gather there, and the community is generated there. Therefore, I think it is important that the IP itself is well established and welcomed by many users. For example, I don't think a Metaverse can be established in a game with only 10,000 players. Conversely, the presence of Metaverse-like elements does not always gather people to a game. We are often said that "PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2" has already embodied the Metaverse as it held the event like music live, etc. in the game and I think it is the strength of SEGA that we have been developing the sandbox type scalable game. If we don't incorporate such new elements in the future, I think the games of today will be outdated in three to five years' time, so we are very conscious of creating games towards the world of five years or so from now. However, I believe that the goal is not to create a Metaverse, but the most important thing is to create a high-quality game. We want to make Super Game as a game that support global and multi-platform with having a network and a community. If such game has a competitive element called PvP, it could turn into an e-sport. Furthermore, it could become a Metaverse if it has tens of millions of downloads worldwide and a certain number of active users. We are holding live performances within the game in Project Sekai, and they have been very well received. Although it is not a virtual world, we are challenging on the things to generate Metaverse. Although we don't call it a Metaverse as we think it is quite possible that the definition of the Metaverse will be changed from the current concept in five years, we think that a game with similar concept will be our Super Game.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've seen one positive reaction to "videogame company implements nfts!" announcements, don't know what they expected.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Are people not reading the part about them exploring different NFT projects with different studios?

This reads more like "we are gonna do NFTs but we'll let others take the heat and normalize it first".

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least one company whose landmark game/series that touches on industry's negative effect on the environment has decided not to pursue NFTs...for now.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Are people not reading the part about them exploring different NFT projects with different studios?

This reads more like "we are gonna do NFTs but we'll let others take the heat and normalize it first".
The fight against NFTs is not over, but we can still appreciate individual victories. Making corporations nervous to do anything is a good thing.

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is very much just a delay but he says 'what will be accepted and what will not be by the users.' - How they will assess such a thing is up in the air. Just Japanese game players or worldwide? A certain polling that only extends to so many people?

"Then, we will consider this further if this leads to our mission 'Constantly Creating, Forever Captivating', but if it is perceived as simple money-making, I would like to make a decision not to proceed." - This has to go through various channels before they can proceed but ultimately if people keep making noise about it, then there's more of a chance of them hearing about it. Sadly, there's so many other companies so enthusiastic about it, that it's an uphill battle.

The more pressure these companies feel about doing it, the better.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how they are allowed in gaming at all. If the games is supposedly for kids and if its a Sonic NFT's, they are selling a purely speculative assets that could be worth thousands to children. That's gambling or tax issues I don't know it seems legally questionable to me.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So they're waiting until NFTs are normalized before they get in on that

We just have to keep telling these corporations to fuck off with this shit, and hopefully they'll eventually stop. Could be wishful thinking, but we have to try.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
All these companies are just waiting for the proverbial pickle jar to be opened successfuly by whoever "gets it right" and then they'll be all in again.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
You are never going to get a positive reaction from players because players don't want it. There hasn't been one advantage to NFT's to the consumer that isn't already met by our current model of DLC.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
LOL! Like who in the gamer sphere is even wanting NFTs anyway!? It seems to be the one thing we all can agree is a resounding no but they still want to do it anyway.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think the solution is to come up with something WORSE than NFTs and let that proliferate. It's like Delta replacing Alpha.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
So are pngs of anime characters in gacha games and yet here we are

I think gacha games are somehow less exploitive than trying to shove NFTs into games. At least when I buy a PNG of an anime character I've no expectation that it's an "investment" I could one day resell to someone else (and thus the entire design of a game is compromised to accommodate this profit focused mindset, ala Diablo 3 Auction House)

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
LOL! Like who in the gamer sphere is even wanting NFTs anyway!? It seems to be the one thing we all can agree is a resounding no but they still want to do it anyway.
I have seen some content creators really pushing "Play to Earn" gaming which use NFTs you gain during gameplay to earn money.

It's quite putrid really.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I see NFTs working for SEGA is having Kiryu Kazuma falling for a NFT scam in a Yakuza sub story.

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have seen some content creators really pushing "Play to Earn" gaming which use NFTs you gain during gameplay to earn money.

It's quite putrid really.

It's something that's been percolating for what seems like a long while but this really seems to have really erupted very recently out of nowhere in the gaming sphere, as if forced upon us all with no rhyme or reason. Really do wonder whatever else they will latch on to next the way all these companies are going headfirst into it like they seemingly are.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I would be totally fine with play to earn if a single developer could communicate even a single benefit to the play for fun gamer. There's only negatives.

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that there is such a huge backlash against NFTs in general. Though I genuinely wonder how many people have some actual understanding of why NFTs are bad and how many are just blindly following the general consensus.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
With such ultra fast backpedaling of these companies I'm starting to ask myself how this got greenlit in the first place. 🤦‍♂️
It's fantastic that it happens, but Jesus Christ, if these companies need someone to tell them how awful their ideas are before they invest tens of thousands of dollars, just f'n hire me. 🙄

Well, they deserve it. 😅

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I'm glad that there is such a huge backlash against NFTs in general. Though I genuinely wonder how many people have some actual understanding of why NFTs are bad and how many are just blindly following the general consensus.
Let's be real, you don't need a working knowledge of blockchain technology and the like to know a ponzi scheme when you see one.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I think gacha games are somehow less exploitive than trying to shove NFTs into games. At least when I buy a PNG of an anime character I've no expectation that it's an "investment" I could one day resell to someone else (and thus the entire design of a game is compromised to accommodate this profit focused mindset, ala Diablo 3 Auction House)

There's a whole market centered around selling accounts in gacha games, though I do agree with your point regardless.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Yay, always glad to see another win like this. I hope more realize the quick cash-grab into thoughtless NFTs isn't worth it

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good.

Don't do it, SEGA.

Tons of goodwill towards the company currently and so much potential in the immediate future. Hopefully it won't be squandered with some abhorrent grift schemes like NFTs.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Gaming NFTs just aren't going to go anywhere. SEGA noting this now means that it'll likely give enough time before the whole affair to die off. Outside of a few morons, no one gives a shit about this, and people/companies will realize this.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Make your voices heard (respectfully), folks.