• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
As it stands, at major milestone alpha 3.0, Star Citizen does not convince as a game. But as a picture-postcard-maker - as a demonstration of technology - it's virtually peerless. Standing on top of a canyon on a dusty, windswept planet, looking up at the suns and moons in the sky and knowing you can fly up to them is hair-raisingly cool.
But once you've seen the eye-popping sights, once you've flown down from space onto a planet and then back up again - once you've seen the beautiful Blade Runner hubs with their rebellious posters on murky walls and flickering neon lights - there's little to do. You can buy fancy-looking guns, you can even buy a great big railgun, which charges up and then very satisfyingly unloads, but there's nothing to kill.
There are a handful of missions to run, but they're tepid and boring. One, for instance, is an off-the-books private investigation which, admirably, can go either way depending on the evidence you find. You are to search an eerily quiet, abandoned comms station to get to the truth. It sounds OK, doesn't it? But there's no excitement, just a few computer terminals and panels to interact with. No threat, no danger, just a mission to solve an insurance claim of all things. Then it bugged and I couldn't complete it as intended. It was all so typically Star Citizen.
Star Citizen remains a tantalising prospect, and a controversial one. Perhaps the solutions I am after are right around the corner, mere moments away. Perhaps the core is inches from completion and content will soon be piped in willy-nilly and with joyous abandon, and the dream realised. Or perhaps we will be here a year from now, still stewing over the same issues. I, like many others, was led to believe alpha 3.0 would be the turning point, but what I see is an ever-growing mountain to climb, and my hope wanes.

Much more here

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
How many games or "modules" even is it at this point? The odds of one of them, let alone all living up to expectations seem pretty slim.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't sound good. Release is this year?

Deleted member 11002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds exactly like No Man's Sky.

When is this expected (if ever) to release? They can't possibly make the same mistake as NMS and give you nothing to do, right? Right?

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is going to be a great book about this when it finally all goes down in flames.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
I feel sorry for all the bankers when this first got announced. This game is just never going to reach the expectations it presented. I hope I'll be wrong on that some day but this game looks like another game which will be 1km wide but 1cm deep.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
not finished game is not finished, news on 11.

Just ask any Alpha tester on any MMO just 3 or 4 years into development. It is an Alpha, it is not finished how can it convince as a game while in mid-development?

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to hear more about how it's constantly evolving and how developers are communicating with their investors, I mean intended audience - the gamers, and that is somehow indicative of how great it will be as a videogame... in 2077.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't care about the MMO stuff, but the last Squadron 42 presentation was everything I expected from a Wing Commander spiritual successor. I can't wait to see more.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This sounds exactly like No Man's Sky.

When is this expected (if ever) to release? They can't possibly make the same mistake as NMS and give you nothing to do, right? Right?

Honestly this sounds even emptier and more nebulous than NMS. At least that had the central progression of repairing then upgrading your ship, translating the alien languages, trading for better stuff and progressing towards an ultimate goal of reaching the centre of the Galaxy.

This just seems to be owning a potentially very real world expensive space ship, but with nothing to actually do with it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's truly a visual and technological spectacle that will inspire other creators with their insane attention to detail (kind of reminds me of Crysis 1). That said, it's still far from done given the amount of "jank" I witnessed in their last hour long vertical slice video. Furthermore, I have to agree that as a game it's more a walking simulator in space than anything else from what I've seen. The simple fact is that the original project was to be closer to Elite Dangerous and since the huge initial influx of capital their vision for the scope of the game increased dramatically to the point where I think they may have overreached. It feels like an amalgamation of genres where the creator lack experience in some of those genres and it's all too obvious.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do thay keep releasing all these demos and alphas in the first place? I thought this kind of stuff took a lot of resources and time away from the actual development of the game. It must be super taxing on the team to manage all the public builds while still trying to produce a full game. Couldn't they just lay low for a while, let it cook and wait until they have something more solid to show?

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not finished game is not finished, news on 11.

Just ask any Alpha tester on any MMO just 3 or 4 years into development. It is an Alpha, it is not finished how can it convince as a game while in mid-development?

An MMO that's 3-4 years into development has a lot more game to it than empty vistas and a barebones detective quest.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did this even get so much money?

There is a huge audience for games like Elite, Freelancer, Wing Commander, X, X Wing vs Tie Fighter, Freespace, EVE, Darkstar One, Tachyon: the Fringe and many many more, that publishers decided weren't popular / profitable enough to make games in that genre any more.

So the maker of one of those titles decided to kickstart a spiritual sequel.

Turns out that genres still super-fucking-popular with many Pc gamers.

Oct 29, 2017
This is why you should do iterative game design, not gdd / waterfall approach.

Start with the gameplay and then add the scope. Instead of starting with the scope and then adding in gameplay. The first approach eventually leads to a fun game, the second, you can be busy with forever.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Peter Molyneux was crucified for half the shit this game pulled but so far Chris Roberts still has a tepid fanbase for some reason.

Vankash

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This doesn't sound good. Release is this year?
No. Not a single mention about a release actually.

They're probably short on money. Kickstarter didn't go that well and all that.
I doubt that.
If yes then they are burning money

I think it is a little premature to judge Star Citizen as a product right now.
At first I was totally sceptic towards but I want to believe they're going to pull it off.
The FPS Module at first was not playable at all.
Last week i played it and it was actually in a playable state.
This gives me hope.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
They are only starting to add things to do. So obviously, there isn't much yet. There's cargo hauling right now but mining, repair and stuff aren't.

And the AI isn't ready yet either, wich means no real npcs to interact with. Only ones available now either walk around, stand behind a counter to sell stuff or shoot at you from a spaceship (but not very well) . Obviously without real working npcs, you can't do much in matter of combat encounters and whatnot. And why bother trying to integrate quests without them when your goal is to have plenty of procedural ones using thoses npcs ?

So yeah, there isn't much to do yet in this alpha. No shit Sherlock.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I have been trying to lessen my pessimism when it comes to star citizen now that 3.0 is there and that they should be doing quarterly updates.
Depending on how much is actually patched this year I will ultimately decide to get a refund ( then forget about it until 2025 ) or not. At some point the people saying "now that tools are ready things will be done faster" ( for the past 2-3 years now ) should be right, if 2018 is not that year, then I simply give up.

I really don't think it's a scam but I would sure love to hear the "grunt" devs and what they thought about every date CR ever gave, and how realistic they actually were for people in the inside.

cyress8

Avenger
giphy.gif

Oct 29, 2017
Why do thay keep releasing all these demos and alphas in the first place? I thought this kind of stuff took a lot of resources and time away from the actual development of the game. It must be super taxing on the team to manage all the public builds while still trying to produce a full game. Couldn't they just lay low for a while, let it cook and wait until they have something more solid to show?
Can't sell ships while you lay low.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes me a little sad to imagine how many awesome smaller games could have been made with all that money.....

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
There are only starting to add things to do. So obviously, there isn't much yet. There's cargo hauling right now but mining, repair and stuff aren't.

And the AI isn't ready yet, wich means no real npcs to interact with. Only ones available now either walk around, stand behind a counter to sell stuff or shoot at you from a spaceship (but not very well) . Obviously without real working npcs, you can't do much in matter of combat encounters and whatnot. And why bother trying to integrate quests without them when your goal is to have plenty of procedural ones using thoses npcs ?

So yeah, there isn't much to do yet in this alpha. No shit Sherlock.
But how long exactly has this game been in development for and correct me if i am wrong but was there not a few delays already?

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And eurogamer doesn't convince as a gaming magazine. Yeah lets write impressions based on an uncomplete version of the game.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like another Spore, which is a shame. It sucks when ambitious projectes fail, because they lack a solid core.
There is a huge audience for games like Elite, Freelancer, Wing Commander, X, X Wing vs Tie Fighter, Freespace, EVE, Darkstar One, Tachyon: the Fringe and many many more, that publishers decided weren't popular / profitable enough to make games in that genre any more.

So the maker of one of those titles decided to kickstart a spiritual sequel.

Turns out that genres still super-fucking-popular with many Pc gamers.
I don't think that the market is that huge( but certainly not small either), it's just that it has many very dedicated fans.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I don't think is intended to work as a game right now. It seems to me they are still building all these systems and game play mechanics, so obviously is not much than a tech demo or a prototype.

Looking at how rough, but promising, the SP game looked, this is still have a long way to become a full fledged game.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
This was pretty much my experience with Alpha 3.0. First couple of times you fly to a moon are like nothing else, but there's nothing more to do.