• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Europe only for now. Will have to see if the US follows.

Nintendo's basic Switch model is now cheaper in the UK and mainland Europe by around £20.

That makes it £259.99/€299.99, down from £279.99/€329.99. For comparison, the upcoming Switch OLED is set to launch at £309.99, while the Switch Lite is £199.99.

Official pricing for the console has updated on Nintendo's own store, though is not yet reflected on other retailers, such as Amazon.

www.eurogamer.net

Nintendo lowers price of base Switch model in Europe

UPDATE 11.45am UK: Nintendo has explained today's original Switch model price change in Europe, and said it is a reflec…

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clickbait headline. It's Europe only and a minor price adjustment due to currency exchange rates.

EDIT: thread title has been changed

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
30€ is really minor, i was expecting €50 like the rumour from yesterday

30€ is not that minor. How does it feel when you leave out the country where this applies to? Because that is basically what ERA always does when it comes to US-only news.

You are replying to someone from UE (i think..?), and yes 30€ is minor.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30€ is not that minor. How does it feel when you leave out the country where this applies to? Because that is basically what ERA always does when it comes to US-only news.

It this is implying I'm US based, I'm from Europe lol. Just that I know people will come in expecting the price adjustment to be worldwide.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Only €30 lol was hoping for it to drop to like €250, but I guess that would make the OLED seem even more egregious.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This model is going to be discontinued after the OLED arrives, right? People should wait for Black Friday if they want a deal.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally just correcting the price for Europe vs US/Japan.

Not really a cut.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So is this now the small/medium/large popcorn at the cinema?

Don't want the small, so take a look at medium. Oh look, the large popcorn is only £50 more, might as well go for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty decent. Regardless of the reasons, every little helps at Christmas time. Another £20 in the pocket is another present on the pile, or maybe adds up to another game for a kid.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I got my first Switch from Amazon I ordered it on national video game day I think it was in September of 2017 and there was a 10% saving for doing so. So I paid slightly less then than what Nintendo will be selling now after this cut lol.

But seriously gotta wonder how this will impact things, esp with the new model next month.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
oh wow this is going to change... nothing.

Oh ho, and what a mistake these fools have made!

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about handheld video game console sales culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is for Sony where you can become successful by keeping your console at the £259/300 Euros recommended retail price point like they did with the PS4. If you screw someone over with keeping your dockable product at that price, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the European public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Nintendo switch in any configuration, whether lite, normal or OLED, nor will they purchase any of Nintendos games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendos has alienated an entire market with this move.
Nintendo , publicly apologize and cut the price to sub £100 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Espio

Nov 9, 2017
Confirmation and statement from Nintendo here:

Nintendo confirms a Switch price cut is now rolling out in Europe | VGC

"Nintendo of Europe is changing the European trade price of the Nintendo Switch console to retailers," it confirmed.

"More than four and a half years after its first release, Nintendo Switch continues to have strong sales momentum in Europe. After carefully weighing up a variety of factors, including currency exchange rates in Europe and the upcoming launch of Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, we decided that now was the appropriate time to change the European trade price of Nintendo Switch.

"The trade prices of Nintendo Switch Lite and the upcoming Nintendo Switch – OLED Model are not affected. The final price to consumers is determined by retailers. As a guide, we recommend that consumers check with local retailers to find out their prices."

It added: "We made the price change before the launch of Nintendo Switch – OLED Model so that the price differences between each model in Nintendo's own retail channel, My Nintendo Store, would be what Nintendo judges to be appropriate for its own store."

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
£20 cheaper is still £20 cheaper, but yeah, it's a negligible reduction at best.

I guess you can basically justify it as 40-50% off your first game purchase? 🤷🏻‍♂️

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
it's a price adjustment because the exchange rates are extremely out of whack here, that's also why it's EU only. it now costs what it should've cost at launch here (299)

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
Like I said in the other Thread this is to correct the distance between the Original and OLED. The Orginal was sold for 329€ (aka pricier than the 299$) while the new OLED Model will cost 349€ (aka 1:1 Dollar Price)

So they finally convert the Original Model to the 1:1 Dollar Price Point.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, a company actually adjusting prices in favor of European customers?? I'm so used to getting milked compared to North America in particular, I can barely believe this. Hell must be freezing over.

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Okay, not a big saving but you can take that saved money and get a nice indie with your new system. I recommend Hollow Knight.

Oct 26, 2017
I was right, too many people assumed in the other thread that this was Nintendo going to eliminate stock of the base model in favour of OLED but that made absolutely no sense.

As it turns out, it's Europe-specific and a price correction.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I was right, too many people assumed in the other thread that this was Nintendo going to eliminate stock of the base model in favour of OLED but that made absolutely no sense.

As it turns out, it's Europe-specific and a price correction.
Yeah I'm not really too sure why people thought Nintendo was going to try and clear stock of a device they are struggling to keep in stock tbh.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah £20 is of course better than nothing but as I said in the other thread I'll continue to do what I always do when someone I know wants a switch or switch lite. I'll pick it up for them when I do my yearly trip to visit my in laws in the usa. Can get a switch for a bit more than £217 or a switch lite for a bit more than £144 without any deals there and bring it back for them. So it's still quite a bit cheaper to do that and have them pick up a UK plug for it than buy one here.