• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Long piece by Eurogamer on Telltale's final year, with some more information about TWAU2: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-19-the-last-year-at-telltale-a-story-cut-short

The Wolf Among Us' second season was one such casualty of Telltale's closure. The sequel to the critically-acclaimed adaptation of Bill Willingham's Fables series, Wolf Among Us 2 barely got started, so small and lacking in budget was the team working on it. "[The budget was] shoe-string, even by Telltale standards," said an ex-staff member. "Everybody knew Wolf 1 was a critical success, but not a commercial hit. I think people came into it realising they were making a boutique product. At one point the season was going to be three episodes."

Proper development of The Wolf Among Us' second season started in the summer of 2017. An announcement trailer was released, featuring many key staff on the project recounting what made the first season special. Thanking the fans and declaring a 2018 release date, the team exuded a confident "Wolf is back" attitude in public, but even then there were doubts internally. "Even when the marketing team recorded the Wolf 2 announcement trailer, many people within the studio doubted it would ever see the light of day," said a source.

With these setbacks, The World Among Us' second season was cancelled before it could finish early development. According to an artist assigned to Wolf 2: "It was so early on that we didn't have much apart from some concept art and a bit of white boxing for gameplay prototyping." That's not to say the Wolf 2 development team had nothing to show for their hard work. According to sources familiar with the project, a season overview and even a good amount of the first episode script was completed. The game wasn't going to be a direct sequel. Rather, it would have followed the next adventures of Bigby and Snow some time after the events of the first season.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Sad. One of Telltale's best deserved far better than this, but maybe it's a good thing that it stands in its own.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Still wish Schreier or someone would tell the story of development on Wolf's first season which was supposedly an incredible mess.

Oct 25, 2017
*glass this info*

Maan, Wolf Among Us 2 was the only thing I wanted from Telltale. What a shame this all turned out so poorly.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody knew Wolf 1 was a critical success, but not a commercial hit. I think people came into it realising they were making a boutique product

How much do these games need to sell to be successful? Steamspy has TWAU at somewhere between 1 and 2 million copies sold on just pc. The sales alone on PC seem like it would turn a decent profit for a game like this. It just doesn't seem like a game that would require a lot of money to fund.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This is disappointing. The Wolf Among Us is the best Telltale game.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
TWAU was easily one of my favorite narrative-driven games this decade. The TellTale saga as a whole is just sad.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
The whole article's worth a read too. There's some info in there I didn't know about yet, like Telltale's deal with Mojang and Microsoft apparently didn't let them get much from Minecraft Story Mode's sales

KNTomg

May 18, 2018
Ohhhh, I was looking forward to the sequel. Glad it wasn't made after all, given how shittly managed TT was.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
How much do these games need to sell to be successful? Steamspy has TWAU at somewhere between 1 and 2 million copies sold on just pc. The sales alone on PC seem like it would turn a decent profit for a game like this. It just doesn't seem like a game that would require a lot of money to fund.

I imagine it might not be the case for Wolf Among us, but the vast majority of telltale games presumably cost alot due to IP licensing?

Like legit its crazy to think how much they though having a license would get ROI. Batman, Guardians, Walking Dead, Back To The Future, Game Of Thrones, Stranger Things, Minecraft. Non of those would have been cheap.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's utterly baffling just how much of an utter amateur-hour shitshow Telltale's management were.

Like... how can you have so much talent and access to so many exciting IPs and manage to blow it all away?

Redlogic

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
This one really hurts down in my soul. I adored the first and was so excited for a sequel. It was the only TT title I truly cared about.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it might not be the case for Wolf Among us, but the vast majority of telltale games presumably cost alot due to IP licensing?

Like legit its crazy to think how much they though having a license would get ROI. Batman, Guardians, Walking Dead, Back To The Future, Game Of Thrones, Stranger Things, Minecraft. Non of those would have been cheap.

You're right. I completely mislooked licensing costs. I wonder if, once they became a bit more of a household name, if it would have been better for them to try more for their own IPs.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only wonder how would fans react if they announced a 3 episode season right at the start. It would probably say a lot about Telltale's situation, more than removing one ep from TWD's final season.

The vast majority of the copies probably came from massive sales (which in Telltale's case often started before even finishing the season), humble bundles etc.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This was the only telltale thing I was ever interested in. I started the first episode then stopped to wait for them to put out more and it just never happened.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Come on, Skybound... please...
Skybound isn't going to throw money at a nascent video game project where they don't even own the IP. The only reason Skybound saved TWD is because The Walking Dead is Robert Kirkman's own IP. It belongs to him and he doesn't have to pay licensing fees to himself.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still so mad about this. Like, I don't care about most of the rest of Telltale's games, but I really wanted a sequel to TWAU. God damn it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
What a shame.

The first one was a fantastic title, despite the huge gaps it took between episode releases.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So could the leaked images have been real? Maybe Telltale tried to have some third party studio develop the game.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I don't understand how Telltale's management screwed up so badly. Sure, not every game was a cash cow like TWD, but if they were in so much trouble why not to cut on stuff that they knew isn't going to sell? Instead they kept churning out several games each year until the entire thing broke.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Telltale's management screwed up so badly. Sure, not every game was a cash cow like TWD, but if they were in so much trouble why not to cut on stuff that they knew isn't going to sell? Instead they kept churning out several games each year until the entire thing broke.

It sounds like they were relying on the cash infusions from the licensing deals just to stay solvent for a while.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If I was one of those few people who are worth like 20BN+ on this planet I'd fund all their current projects and have them finished. It's a shame that TWA2 will never see the light of day.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It sounds like they were relying on the cash infusions from the licensing deals just to stay solvent for a while.
Damn. Sounds like they were in dire need of relocating the office and most likely (as shitty as it sounds) laying off a good part of their employees if they were going to survive, seems like nobody had a heart to make hard decisions.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
You're right. I completely mislooked licensing costs. I wonder if, once they became a bit more of a household name, if it would have been better for them to try more for their own IPs.

Most certainly, but at that point they were still trying too chase the walking dead season 1 dragon. Top that with the fact they had multiple teams working on different projects which all pretty much flopped, there was pretty much no room in management for delays or failures, sadly all of that happened.

Honestly i think the market aswell is just not looking for episodic games as much, i know im not and i loved telltale.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Most certainly, but at that point they were still trying too chase the walking dead season 1 dragon. Top that with the fact they had multiple teams working on different projects which all pretty much flopped, there was pretty much no room in management for delays or failures, sadly all of that happened.

Honestly i think the market aswell is just not looking for episodic games as much, i know im not and i loved telltale.

Yeah. I stopped buying their games after Game of Thrones, myself. The only thing I wanted out of them was TWAU2 and they just kept doing everything but that.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Actually, I'm ok with this. Season one was a good enough self contained story, and I'm still lost on what that cliffhanger was. Better than going the walking dead direction.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we never got this one because the first one was a flop but they RAN to sign a deal for 2 Batman games and those are their biggest bombas.

a mess.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It seems really bad if Telltale considered Wolf 1 to not be a commercial hit. Isn't it their best selling non-Walking Dead game? If their standards for a hit were "perform as well as The Walking Dead", I feel like they were always kind of fucked. That was never going to be sustainable.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If the budget was really that low than why in the few screenshots we got did it look like they remade everything with different designs? Why not reuse the same assets from season 1?

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
It seems really bad if Telltale considered Wolf 1 to not be a commercial hit. Isn't it their best selling non-Walking Dead game? If their standards for a hit were "perform as well as The Walking Dead", I feel like they were always kind of fucked. That was never going to be sustainable.

I'm pretty sure Minecraft is their best selling non-Walking Dead game by quite long shot.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Minecraft is their best selling non-Walking Dead game by a quite long shot.
Minecraft was their only profitable game, other than TWD Season 1 and some of their earlier, pre-TWD projects. Everything else, The Wolf Among Us, Batman, Game of Thrones, all of those games that they pushed out to keep that TWD lightning-in-a-bottle contained, never accomplished the same.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Best telltale game by a country mile, but now I'm glad we didn't get this sequel.

I still don't get the economics of what happened to this company - so many successful releases, including of a GOTY
Minecraft was their only profitable game, other than TWD Season 1 and some of their earlier, pre-TWD projects. Everything else, The Wolf Among Us, Batman, Game of Thrones, all of those games that they pushed out to keep that TWD lightning-in-a-bottle contained, never accomplished the same.

So everything that followed literally lost money?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

TWAU is based on the DC Comics IP Fables, published under Vertigo. So even for TWAU they had to pay licensing, and weren't getting 100% of the profits I'd wager.