Eurogamer: Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate

Jan 10, 2018
lol Nice catch!

Yes, how could he literally check the tweets under that hashtag and say he saw a bunch of people talking about their favorite games? I find that very unlikely. That part about his favorite TV shows just reeks of "Hey, gays, look how inclusive I am!".
He tried to do the "I can't be bigoted towards X, I have X friends. but couldn't even get that far!

Dec 9, 2017
I'm actually glad that GOG blocked his apology. It was obviously a lie to try to save his job after messing up three times.

That being said their follow up tweet was a garbage fire in its own way so they still didn't come out of this in a positive light.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I even found an E3 2015 article written by Halliday about Anita Sarkeesian and Jonathan McIntosh, two critics repeatedly attacked by GamerGate. And in the article Halliday seemed to be doing a similar thing.
See? He does not support GG, just attacks the same GG targets using the same GG talking points. Total coincidence! Case closed! /s

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm actually glad that GOG blocked his apology. It was obviously a lie to try to save his job after messing up three times.
Two times: the Cyberpunk one apparently wasn't him. Still, lying that you messed up and apologizing is better than lying that you messed up and not apologizing.

Gotta wonder what the logic is here, though. "We're not going to apologize for this, we don't think it was such a big mistake. By the way, you're fired.".

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Glad I stuck to my convictions and never bought TW3 now. Not buying Cyberpunk 2077 either, no matter how good it may turn out to be.

Going to delete my GOG account too, just download all the installers and go. Fuck this company man.

Oct 26, 2017
This Halliday dude is a liar, I don't believe that tweet he wanted to post is a true story.

I think he's the one to blame, really

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Good to see Eurogamer cover this. Yet it didn't change anything for me though. I'm still hugely disappointed how CD Projekt has handled the mess they created. I really hope CD Projekt Red has something to say with Cyberpunk 2077. We'll see in due time.

Nov 2, 2017
Two times: the Cyberpunk one apparently wasn't him. Still, lying that you messed up and apologizing is better than lying that you messed up and not apologizing.

Gotta wonder what the logic is here, though. "We're not going to apologize for this, we don't think it was such a big mistake. By the way, you're fired.".
My guess is that his apology he supposedly wanted to post is invented bullshit. Instead, he probably wrote and/or approved the awful apology that amplified the problem and that was the point when GOG decided to fire him. After they did, GOG didn't want to touch the story any more, and he's invented this to try to save his reputation so he might be able to find a new social media gig somewhere.

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My guess is that his apology he supposedly wanted to post is invented bullshit. Instead, he probably wrote and/or approved the awful apology that amplified the problem and that was the point when GOG decided to fire him. After they did, GOG didn't want to touch the story any more, and he's invented this to try to save his reputation so he might be able to find a new social media gig somewhere.
That seems like a fast track to being blacklisted everywhere, especially if GOG contradicts him (have they?). Not that I would put it past him, given his prior decision making track record...

Nov 2, 2017
That seems like a fast track to being blacklisted everywhere, especially if GOG contradicts him (have they?). Not that I would put it past him, given his prior decision making track record...
The gamble is entirely around whether GOG would try to come out and publicly contradict him. GOG was contacted for this story and flatly declined to comment, so he might be betting that they don't want to revive the issue and will just let him say this rather than revive the issue of how they're an awful company.

Vela

Apr 16, 2018
I now see why publishers with regional accounts is a thing.
His transphobic, bigoted tweets apply just as well to 'European' contexts, if that's what you were saying. It's not like his disdain for women and minorities are exclusive to the US.

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
He is full of shit.
  • I don't like politics.
  • I have no clue what Gamer Gate is, I guess it's something about ethics in gaming journalism or something?
  • Don't get me started on Anita Sarkeesian though.
  • I am not a transphobe, because RuPaul's Drag Race and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy are my favourite TV shows.
  • I am not a racist, because one of my best mates is an Iranian immigrant.
  • I am actually the victim you guys, I lost my dream job and my girlfriend AND the day I got fired it was raining.
  • BOTH SIDES THOUGH!
He straight up sounds like a burner account on ERA.

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I read through that Eurogamer interview, and there was a distinct whiff of bullshit permeating the whole thing. I can't believe a word this guy says about his parents receiving abuse and the like, his whole tactic here is Sob Story 101 to try to deflect from the obvious shit he did wrong, and the obvious political opinions he has. He's pulling a Boogie on that score, pretending to be centrist while clearly scrabbling to defend the right while getting digs in at their victims.
He mentions Kim Justice's YouTube content as a kind of "I'm not racist, I have black friends and listen to rap" type defence against the anti-trans sentiment that wasn't even directly tweeted by him. He's covering all bases, and it comes off as cynical rather than genuine.
His defence of the use of WeWontBeErased is just nonsensical. If he thought it was just people using the tweet to defend preservation of films, why that declarative and defiant statement of "Yeah, hows that for some use of hashtags"? It doesn't ring true, it's very much an excuse dreamed up after the fact as being plausible enough to believe. Especially in light of his claims to ignorance of GamerGate, yet somehow ending up rattling off all their dumbass talking points.
Instead of fully owning it and stating he was tasked with reinvigorating their social media engagement, so decided to use controversy to do it and went too far, he comes up with this mealy-mouthed claptrap wrapped up in a bunch of "poor me" sob story nonsense.

Oct 22, 2018
He likes RuPaul's Drag Race? Clearly can't be transphobic, because of how much effort the show takes to explicitly support trains people. Wait, did I say trains people?

Oct 30, 2017
I am still going to back off of GOG for a year or so. If they and CDPR can somehow maintain a presence without incident till 2020, I can see myself at least feeling like they saw a financial imperative to control their statements. That seems to be the best that you can expect from a company these days, as low as that bar ends up being.

Oct 27, 2017
That both sides bullshit is all I need: these people are veiled supporters of GG and the alt-right. There is no both sides or nuance to be had when one side is clearly wrong. I guess I have to skip buying GOG and CDPR stuff now, which is kinda sad since they were on the forefront of bringing old classics back in a playable way and Cyberpunk looks good.

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki
Oct 25, 2017
I've just read through his new "employers" latest tweets and LOL. Most incel sounding and hateful shit you'd expect from this type of person if they were 12 years old and scared of anything that isn't a straight white male. Says everything you need to know that the fired dude now "works" for him.

Oct 25, 2017
If random people can find this guy's old articles about GG, then I'm certain CDPR could (and did) as well. And that means that they hired a known GG'er for their social media presence and the results should have been expected. I loved Witcher 3 and was waiting to see how the new game turned out but I think I'm officially done with this company.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Not a bigot, but landed a job with an alt-right personality after being fired for bigotry. I'm sure he is just not aware of his employer's political views. After all, "insulting [people] and all that, no I'm not a supporter of that in any shape or form."