• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
www.eurogamer.net

Xbox Series X/S is Microsoft's fastest-selling Xbox console generation, despite supply constraints

Microsoft's Xbox Series X and S are outpacing sales of previous Xbox console generations - despite the fact that supply…

In a wide-ranging New York Times interview, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said Microsoft had "at this point... sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes."

On the surface, this may not be too surprising - Microsoft has effectively doubled its chances this generation with two very different console models, each of which offers its own proposition. This was not the case with the launch of the original Xbox, Xbox 360, or Xbox One.

But Spencer went on to say that Xbox Series X/S had achieved this fastest-selling feat despite the much-reported supply shortages hitting chip manufacturers, production delays due to the Covid, and various global distribution bottlenecks.

"When you think about trying to go get an Xbox or a new PlayStation right now in the market, they're really hard to find," Spencer continued. "And it's not because supply is smaller than it's ever been. Supply is actually as big as it's ever been. It's that demand is exceeding the supply for all of us.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"When you think about trying to go get an Xbox or a new PlayStation right now in the market, they're really hard to find," Spencer continued. "And it's not because supply is smaller than it's ever been. Supply is actually as big as it's ever been. It's that demand is exceeding the supply for all of us."

I think this is important to remember sometimes. PS5 is the fastest selling console in US history and the fastest selling PlayStation in UK history. Series X/S is the fastest selling Xbox in history. We often hear that there are no consoles being supplied or that devs need to keep supporting last gen because so few people are able to get PS5s and Xbox Series X/S but it doesn't seem to be strictly true. They're selling tons. More than they ever did in previous generations. Millions of people have new consoles. There's just more people than ever that want them which means that it might be hard for you to get one.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Everyone doing well is good to see.

Nintendo coming from wii u to the switch and now MS is doing better than ever with xbox sales.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a good, healthy market. I'm guessing all the extra demand for gaming is from the pandemic changing people's lifestyles.

I do hope all the extra money coming in means more willingness to take risks and try new things. It seems like it will be with stuff like PSVR2 and Game Pass.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
With the popularity of Game Pass, the Series S turned out to be a very good idea, especially seeing as it's the model used for Xcloud [EDIT: or not!]. I don't have a Series S or X (and probably won't for a while), but I can always at least play on an S through cloud gaming, and the games look damn good on my tablet.

Microsoft last gen vs. this gen is like night and day. I really like where they're at now.

Last edited:

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
With the popularity of Game Pass, the Series S turned out to be a very good idea, especially seeing as it's the model used for Xcloud. I don't have a Series S or X (and probably won't for a while), but I can always at least play on an S through cloud gaming, and the games look damn good on my tablet.

Microsoft last gen vs. this gen is like night and day. I really like where they're at now.
Streaming hardware is actually based on Xbox Series X but I believe streams are limited to 1080p currently.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
"When you think about trying to go get an Xbox or a new PlayStation right now in the market, they're really hard to find," Spencer continued. "And it's not because supply is smaller than it's ever been. Supply is actually as big as it's ever been. It's that demand is exceeding the supply for all of us."

I think this is important to remember sometimes. PS5 is the fastest selling console in US history and the fastest selling PlayStation in UK history. Series X/S is the fastest selling Xbox in history. We often hear that there are no consoles being supplied or that devs need to keep supporting last gen because so few people are able to get PS5s and Xbox Series X/S but it doesn't seem to be strictly true. They're selling tons. More than they ever did in previous generations. Millions of people have new consoles. There's just more people than ever that want them which means that it might be hard for you to get one.
Everyone I know into gaming have either PS5s or Series X consoles. Some had to wait longer or use the various twitter accounts to check for stock and stuff but they all managed to get one in the end. It's not as dire as it seems, they're just really popular.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Just out of interest has the ample supple of Series S eaten into the manufacturing numbers of Series X?

In the UK at least the Series S has been readily available for over 6 months, but Series X has been harder to get (although in Dec there were plenty of opportunities). Therefore do you think Xbox will change their strategy to manufacture more Series X vs Series S over the coming months?

Just thinking out loud and wondering what people think

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Team Xbox.
I already had my Series S.
Last December, I finally saw some Series X in Mediamarkt (Rotterdam, Netherlands), but I did not buy because they only sold Series X bundles for nearly 600 EUR.
And I still did not see PS5 personally.
It is nice to see all 3 companies doing their own things well.
Hope no more console war talks.
And I hope this can make SE to re-consider make FF main titles skipping Xbox.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Glad Xbox is off to a solid start. Can't wait to see this new generation get into full swing, I think the success is going to churn out some really creative and excellent gaming experiences that will reach wide and receptive audiences and I'm hoping the variety of excellent types of experiences is robust.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love my XSX; it will get me nicely through this generation of games.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This likely means that Xbox Series has hit (or came very close to) the gold standard for a console launch of ten million units sold in the first 12 months. I'd say 80 million units lifetime is now very close to a lock for the Series, with the potential of being the first Xbox generation to crack the 100 million barrier.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Remember in 2012 when the industry thought consoles were dead and we'd all be playing phone games? Good times.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
It would be interesting to see how many units they could have shipped if the silicon for Xcloud was not required.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Is that still true for PS5? November sales were down significantly across the globe in comparison to PS4. Also for your data points one is shipped (XBS) and the other is actual sell through (PS5). PS5 is behind PS4 in shipments but was ahead in sales due to it continually selling out. That may have changed and it's likely behind in sales and shipments of PS4 now. It's not hard to obtain an XSS in any market while the XSX was a urban legend until December. The XBS seems to be ahead in shipments versus X1 but behind in sell through at least in the U.S. and UK. This all may have changed after December but it doesn't seem likely.

Frobary

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox 360
Q2 2006 - 1.5M
Q3 2006 - 1.7M
Q4 2006 - 1.8M
Q1 2007 - 1.0M
Q2 2007 - 4.4M

Xbox Series > 10.4M

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Well done to Microsoft, it's great to see all the console makers doing well! I plan to make the Series X my first ever Xbox console, it looks damn fine and I'm sure there'll be games I want to play on there. Just a matter of time and funds on my end.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having doubled countries where Series were available at launch compared to the One/360 surely helped.

The next quarterly report (this January) should show some good numbers with the release of Halo/Forza counted in it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Without being biased, I am super happy to see Xbox pushing well. They have the tech, they have the services and they have the quality 1st party teams. Good time to be a fan

Not just that but the whole industry is doing amazingly well. Keep the fun times rolling.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not loyal to any brand.. I owned the 360, afterwards the PS4 and now the XSX again. It's simply what brand offers the best experience for the money. Which is - for me right now - Xbox.
I was keen on getting the PS4, but the value proposition of Game Pass was simply too good. Also, most of my "gaming friends" are on Xbox.
Now Halo released, I'm even happier I went with Xbox. I might get the PS5 at some point though. It's a great time to be a gamer.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
That makes sense, they're great consoles. I totally skipped the Xbox One generation, but not only they got me back this gen, I also bought both X and S...

Way to go, MS.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Good for them. I was bummed how far they lagged last gen but its nice seeing a strong comeback between GP and the new systems. Now if only PC Gamepass app could be improved tenfold...

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
At least here in Germany and I think in other parts of Europe as well, there was never a supply constraint for the Series S. The S is being sold here for around 250-260 for months now, getting as low as 222 sometimes.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil and team reinvented Xbox, it's a must have eco system with all their first party stuff, regardless of console.

Success all round, so pleased for the team and for the future of Xbox.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Make well designed, fairly priced, capable hardware and good games. Its generally a safe method for success.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its enticing to pick one up. Same with PS5.
They are both in a great position with alot of support and games coming that you feel its worth the investment

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Great foundation for Xbox to build on this gen, will be interesting to see how their recent titles (AoE IV, Forza, Halo) boosted revenue in the earnings report later in the month. Feel like they are building a solid userbase on Steam at the same time.

One series x blade can manage 4 series S like instances

Pretty sure Series X can run four One S instances, not Series S.

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
I own both a Series X and Series S. MS totally
Sold me back into their ecosystem with the game pass model. The hardware is amazing and Gamepass is just a total game changer. I travel a lot for work and the Series S is the perfect thing to bring with me for the hotel room. I'm very happy with what MS has done this generation and glad to see it paying off.

pandemonium

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news. I'm glad I was able to get one at launch. Sometimes I forget the XSX is there its so quiet. Gamepass is a really compelling reason as well.