• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these games would you be happy to play next?

• Imperator: Rome

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Crusader Kings 2

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Europa Universalis 4

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Hearts of Iron 4

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Stellaris

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Other (Please specify in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
GAME BEGINS
SUNDAY 3RD NOVEMBER 20:00 HOURS GMT

It's been a hella long time.

We want players for multiplayer sessions of the finest map painter around, Europa Universalis IV. These were great fun back over on the old place, and it's about time we restarted them I think. Please post in this thread if you would like to take part, and once we have a list of players, we can start selecting nations to play, then get to playing! The base game is currently 75% off, and you would only need that if you wanted to play multiplayer, as you get to use whatever DLC the host has. But I'd only suggest joining in if you've played some grand strategy before!

Proposed Play Times: Wednesday 20:30 - 22:00 GMT, Sunday 20:00 - 22:00 GMT

Proposed Rules (taken from the old place, might need updating):

Technical:
1. If you consistently cause the game to drop below speed 2, you will be kicked for the duration of the session.

2. One rejoin per session, if you crash out multiple times, wait for someone else to drop out and then you can of course also rejoin.

Gameplay:
3. Pausing only allowed when DoW happens to you. Then during the war it isn't acceptable. Players can pause once to make peace deals, but only for the allotted 25 seconds or so before others can unpause. PvP wars are not exempted.

4. Players may not guarantee, ally, or be guaranteed by more than 1 other player nation prior to 1500, 2 other prior to 1600, or 3 others prior to 1750. A coalition may not have more than 3 player nations prior to 1500, 4 player nations prior to 1600, or 5 player nations prior to 1750. This rule does not count for any player controlled subjects a player might have. No enforce peace in wars involving human players on either side. Indirect involvement in wars (for instance threatening someone with an attack unless they don't engage in a war against human players) counts as an alliance for the player being helped and thus is only allowed if the player being helped does not exceed its human ally limit in this fashion.

5. Player nations are open to attack once they miss three straight sessions, you can attack during that third session. If the AI attacks another player in his absence, they can demand up to 50% war score, but no more. If an AI playing for a human nation joins a war against a human player as a third party, up to 25% war score may be demanded from that country.

6. Maximizing the ticking war score means that the losing side must automatically meet the demands of the winning side. Achieving an overall war score of 80% also means the losing side must automatically meet the demands of the winning side. Peace demands can not exceed 100% war score. People can't be forced to peace out separately in a PvP war, to avoid peace demands from being truly excessive. Similarly, don't circumvent the war score cap by declaring multiple wars as a single alliance. If you do this, the total demands can't be more than 100%. If non-aligned human players both attack another human player, this obviously does not apply.

7. A general anti-exploit rule. Basically, if it looks like an exploit, then don't do it. Don't try to circumvent rules through trickery. If you're unsure if something violates this rule, ask.

Country Selection:
8. There will be a list of banned countries unavailable for player selection, basically the great powers at the start of the game. The exact list is tbd, though it should be obvious which countries will be on that list.

9. Don't pick someone else's vassal/personal union partner.

10. No more nation switching after the first five sessions.

Current player list:
  1. KiraFA37: Mamluks
  2. fanboi: Portugal
  3. CloudWolf: Wallachia
  4. KingSnake: Scotland
  5. Geido: Sirhind
  6. Javetus: Denmark
  7. Merkunt: Kilwa
  8. Morfeo: Brandenburg
  9. John Dunbar: Venice
  10. brokenswiftie: Vijayanagar
  11. Jegriva: Florence
  12. Radishhead: Hosokawa
  13. Lausebub: Khmer
  14. Uzzy:

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Oh man that sounds fun, but I haven't played it in forever and I am not sure how my current laptop would handle it.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds pretty fun but I'm still nowhere near the level for this. But you should stream it. I'd definitely check it out.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I am a bit behind with the DLCs, but I would like to play sometimes, if the timezone is compatible with my work days :)

And Crusader Kings II, too!

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have like 900 hours in euiv but i have never played a multiplayer game, so sign me up.

i will be totally lost without constant pausing and ledger spying tho (i assume ledger is disabled?)

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Same time as WoW raids, sadness.

I played one epic game in MP, but there were no real PvP wars. It detracted a lot.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to participate but unfortunately won't be able to because i'm on work trips the next month or so :(

Anyway have fun guys.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I am unfortunately a total noob. I have HOI4 down pretty well and am learning Victoria 2. Once I get around to EU4 I can join in.

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
I havent played EU4 in a while but I always wanted to try a MP game, if you still need some I'm in.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Right, as I understand it here's the list of participants.

Uzzy
fanboi
brokenswiftie
John Dunbar
KingSnake
KiraFA37
Jegriva
Morfeo
Javetus

Please confirm by Wednesday evening (20:00 hours BST) if you would like to participate. At which time, I'll close sign ups and we can move to country selection. I'll randomise the order of players to choose, leaving myself to last, and hopefully that can proceed quickly enough to start on this Sunday, or next Wednesday by the latest.

This is the list of banned nations that I have in mind. Feedback is welcome!

Ottomans, Ming, Austria, Castile, England, France, Poland, Lithuania, Muscovy, Burgundy, Timurids, Vijayanagar, Bahmanis and Bengal.

Last edited:

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
Yea I'm still in, just downloaded EU4 again but they broke custom resolutions since I last played :( .

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
The BST timezone is killing me or else I would join :(

Someone pick Malacca or Vijayanagar for me! And make sure you ban Ashikaga :D

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in! Old place MP-crew unite!

EDIT: Wednesdays might be difficult for me though, as I can't do the following three (whoops) Wednesdays. Next week I'm working at a festival, the week after is the post-festival team drinks and the week after that I'm at another festival.

But otherwise, I'm totally for bringing the MP back.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I only have Europa Universalis II & III. ;__; Not that I should participate anyway, I'm such a n00b at these games that I'd probably crash & burn early.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Right, rules!

Here is the list of banned nations. They are unavailable to any player, due to their raw strength or potential inherent game breaking abilities.

Ottomans, Castile, France, Ming, Timurids and Ashikaga.

Here is the list of restricted nations. They're quite powerful, so available to newish players only. No real hard or fast rule here, but if you've more than, lets say, 75 hours in EU4, I'll give you the side eye if you pick em.

Aragon, Austria, England, Poland, Lithuania, Muscovy, Burgundy, Vijayanagar, Bahmanis, Bengal and Oirat.

The list for selecting nations is as follows. When your turn is up you'll have 24 hours to pick your nation, by posting the name of the nation in here. Tag the next person on the list when you do, and they'll have 24 hours from your post to pick the nation. If they don't, it moves on to the next person on the list.
  1. KiraFA37
  2. fanboi
  3. CloudWolf
  4. KingSnake
  5. Geido
  6. Javetus
  7. Morfeo
  8. John Dunbar
  9. brokenswiftie
  10. Jegriva
  11. Uzzy
KiraFA37 please pick your nation in the next 24 hours! You're new so you've access to the restricted nations list.

cptodin

Oct 27, 2017
I loved following this thread on the old place. Glad it's back
Is there a chance the games will be streamed, or will we get a summary at least at the end of a session?
If I wouldn't completely suck at this game I would join, maybe some day ;)

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I loved following this thread on the old place. Glad it's back
Is there a chance the games will be streamed, or will we get a summary at least at the end of a session?
If I wouldn't completely suck at this game I would join, maybe some day ;)

I'll be posting a summary as best I can yeah.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
We'll probably have also some personal summaries here, the tales of war and (Morfeo's) treason.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
My participation is still a bit TBC, considering the next three Wednesdays don't work for me, but I hope it'll work out. Missed the EU4 multiplayer crew.

I would advise to also make Lithuania a banned country by the way, their missions set is insane.

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
Oh fuck I am first, did not want that.... I'll uh.... take a head start in painting and take the Mamluks. I can also stream it if there is demand.

fanboi you're next!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Late addition of Merkunt, apologies as I thought they were already on the list. My random number generator has placed them seventh! New list looks like this.
  1. KiraFA37
  2. fanboi
  3. CloudWolf
  4. KingSnake
  5. Geido
  6. Javetus
  7. Merkunt
  8. Morfeo
  9. John Dunbar
  10. brokenswiftie
  11. Jegriva
  12. Uzzy
People can still join if they want, you'll just get to choose before me. Applications are still open until the start of the first session!