• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these games would you be happy to play next?

• Imperator: Rome

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Crusader Kings 2

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Europa Universalis 4

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Hearts of Iron 4

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Stellaris

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Other (Please specify in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, had to reinstall and it switched the language back to german. It's a bit confusing with some countrys and provicnes, Kilwa=Swahili.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
The more I think about, the more I feel we should spend the last 100 years of the game making the entire world 50 shades of green.

Cloudwolf forms Russia
Kingsnake forms Ireland
Kira can release, feed, integrate and play as Tripoli

I don't know what Jegriva can do easily, but we'll find him something. Release and play as Canada?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Romania - A new year for a new Great Power!

Stealing Uzzy's idea, I'm gonna give this a soundtrack:

This session was a spectacular victory for all who calls themselves Romanian! As you know, the last game ended with an amazing Turning of the Tables, the vassalization of Romania's ancient overlords, the Poles. With this new power backing them, the Romanians became increasingly bold and decided the northern neighbours weren't long for this world. Those crazy Lubeck traders had been rampaging in Prussian and Polish lands for far too long. With the power of our hyperefficient administrators and some absolutists in the government, the armies of the Romanians struck down the German traders and in one swift war the Romanian army annexed almost all of Lübeck in a single go.

After cleaning up some of the other little City States around the old country of Poland, the eyes of the warmongering Romanians went to the East. Say, those Russians are getting kinda bold, aren't they? With another swift strike while the entire Russian army was apparently vacationing in Siberia, the Romanians landed and took over that most precious of Russian land: Moscow and Novgorod. Not quite happy yet, the Romanians finished off Lübeck and took the ancient trading city for themselves while also creating a lovely new vassal state called Hesse.

Meanwhile, the Poles finally decided they belonged to me and they were integrated peacefully. With all those lands we could finally become a proper Empire and also, a great power! And not just a Great Power, the 6th greatest power! The Romanians were ecstatic! To celebrate, they drank all the booze they could find, finishing with a big ole Vodka party in Moscow, now proper Romanian land. Also, they proclaimed it was a Golden Age, which it surely is. However, being a Great Power and systematically murdering the Lübeckians, the Romanian Car (yes, an Emperor is called a Car and now the soundtrack makes sense) was notified we needed a new Rival. So sorry Egypt old friend, but we hate you now. Nothing personal, it's just the name of the game.

AI Egypt, apparently pretty annoyed with this change of situation, allied our other Rival Russia, something the Romanians completely failed to notice when declaring a new war on Russia, so now we're at war with Egypt. Oops, sorry KiraFA37.

And a pretty picture of the current situation:

x4bo8rV.jpg

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I won't be able to join tonight guys :( Feeling a bit rough, so I'm turning in early!

I hope my AI self will be gentle.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Netherlands, aka I Rule The North

The session with the AI left me with a shitloads of boats, a sensible management of traders, some wars won against Revolutionary France, and a current war against Hamburg, that I am winning hard.

And 8 generals.

Winning the war against Hamburg was just a matter of occupying territories and maximise the victory points. Done that, I cut myself a nice piece of Jutland, and now I have a big name too!
It was difficult, I got a big-ass name.
Also, I released Saxony, just for old time's sake, and I find majorly funny that Hamburg is now basically Norway, while Norway is now Iceland.

Later I put some effort in conquering some native american land to help my poor colony Heineken, and I discovered that I have a congolese province that I don't want. I need to check how to release it.

After that, I finally plan my conquest of Normandie. I wiped out the english navy, and now I am ravaging Great Britain, while the big part of english army is locked in Ireland without a navy. Kilwa saw that and declared war against England too, I hope we won't step on each other toes. I want to release Canada.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Everybody seems to be reluctant to post, so here I go :D

Things finally happened. I got immediately rivaled by the Mugahls. So i spent around 100k manpower on building up more troops and I noticed, since I didn't focus much on military the last few sessions, I only had two military idea groups finished and only one useful military policy.

Kira was so nice to offer me an alliance against the Mugahls, which I accepted, but 10 seconds later I got called into a war against Uzzy and Merkunt. I accepted, mainly because I wanted to do something and get some experience in late game multiplayer war, which as it turned out I desperately needed. The Persian campaign went fine at best, but I lost to many battles I should have won.

Also a month after I white peaced out, I got the siege bonus from offensive Ideas and the +3 age bonus, so I should have just waited for that.

At this point the Mugahls also started claiming provinces and after building some more mercenaries and missclicking twice in the parliament I need some time to get back up my army professionalism.

Also this message popped up, right before we ended.

zwGxyxP.jpg

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man, AI Geido done fucked up.

Sorry everyone, I'll fix everything sunday!

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
It's fine, I just had to delay my conquest of the new world. Luckily AI Mughals were fighting a war against England the whole time and I think they lost it.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I heard from Cloudwolf as well. Idiots! We have no boats, why would you attack England with an imperialism CB?

Hopefully we didn't lose to much.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I heard from Cloudwolf as well. Idiots! We have no boats, why would you attack England with an imperialism CB?

Hopefully we didn't lose to much.
Because the AI!

I've seen AI countries go wild with wars they can easily win, but don't for some dumb reason. Like France's endless imperialism wars against tiny African states while they are too lazy to put people in boats.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
If Italy needs to form the Roman Empire, I will momentarily sell him the required provinces he needs.

(I may need a couple of provinces from Italy for the Reclaim The Lowlands dutch mission)

Last edited:
Persian Programme Part 13 - 1735 - 1744
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Uzzy needs to give Kira some provinces then, so he can form Arabia

So about that.

OFFICIAL THEME

So at the start of the session, Egypt's diplomatic game looked considerably shakey, with England not willing to join any defensive wars, and Russia on the verge of not joining either. However, things changed while waiting for Russia to finally gain enough war exhaustion from the Romanian conquests to stop defending them. Firstly, the Mughals turned on me, breaking the alliance, then rivalling me. Secondly, Egypt got Khmer onside. It was here that mistakes started being made. Firstly, I underestimated Khmer's commitment to the war, I did not expect them to land 200k troops and prevent me sieging down the lands north of the Strait of Hormuz. Secondly, I didn't coordinate with my existing ally, Kilwa, as I firstly figured I'd do it myself, and secondly didn't wait for them to be in position, calling them in late. Thirdly, while I could have picked a better CB (one where I could easily control the war goal), the real mistake was not focusing my forces on one goal. I allowed my armies to be locally outnumbered by both the Egyptians in Syria and the Khmerese in Hormozgan. Of course both players controlled their armies very well, but I could have made it easier for myself!

Lessons learnt, generals executed, truce up in 5 years time.

Provinces Lost: Basra, Diyabakir, Ar-Raqqah.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Italy needs to form the Roman Empire, I will momentarily sell him the required provinces he needs.

(I may need a couple of provinces from Italy for the Reclaim The Lowlands dutch mission)
I doubt there's any realistic path to forming Rome at this point, to my great disappointment, but I can probably sell you the stuff you need anyway. No need we all must live with failure.

Anyway, here's the Italian Empire at the end of 1744. We have eaten most of France and and a big chunk of Iberia, and are the rightful number one Great Power. Time to eat rest of Spain and what's left of Portugal.

XY6kqh9.png

I took a picture of the whole world. Green is already the winner. Yellow has done well as well, and there's a decent blob of blue right in the middle of things.

V0V39YX.png

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This round consisted of me trying to carve everything I can out of the AI (England, Spain, Hamburg). And mistakenly accepting a war against Romania, thinking it was with Romania.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This round consisted of me trying to carve everything I can out of the AI (England, Spain, Hamburg). And mistakenly accepting a war against Romania, thinking it was with Romania.
Yeah, I was surprised you took that CtA. I was like 'You really want to fight over freaking Saxony?'

Even gave you an out by fighting Saxony while we were allied in a war, so you wouldn't take a prestige & dip rep hit. But then you white peaced out of the French war and joined the Saxon war the second I fully sieged them lol.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Yeah, I was surprised you took that CtA. I was like 'You really want to fight over freaking Saxony?'

Even gave you an out by fighting Saxony while we were allied in a war, so you wouldn't take a prestige & dip rep hit. But then you white peaced out of the French war and joined the Saxon war the second I fully sieged them lol.
Yeah, I was badly multitasking fighting in three continents, and I got no time to read XD

I don't think there are many conflict zones in Europe, as we stand right now.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Not much to say about last session, spent most of the time getting the internal economy in order. I also finally got enlightenment and I'm back at the top of the great power list again. Although I don't know how long that is going to last with Italy blobbing like crazy (and still having room to expand).

Started eating Manchu, after which I'll probably try to get some of Siberia.

Also, the AI fucking up all my rivals is annoying. I can deal with 8 generals and them creating a 150 ship navy when there was none, but that's just annoying. Also I had 15000k ducats last time I played and we started with 2 loans. Get your act together AI.

Persian Programme Part 14 - 1744 - 1769
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
OFFICIAL THEME

A Second (Technically Fourth) War with Egypt was inevitable really. But I was determined to be smarter about when I declared, and over what, so I spent the time until the truce was over rebuilding my military might. My economy had performed admirably in the last war and was in a more than healthy state even after the loss of Basra and some trade income, but my military wasn't up to fighting two great powers at once. So I built up stacks, drilled relentlessly, started conscripting every able bodied man in Persia and waited for an opportunity. But none seemed to come. I even sent a half stack up to conquer what was left of Oirat, just to pass the time. My Commandant got an event giving me +10% discipline for 6 years, and with my military power capped out, I finally declared on Egypt, seeking to liberate my Persian brothers, and prepared to fight two superpowers.

Except only one came. Not sure why Khmer didn't join in this time, but it certainly helped! My armies managed to retake Basra, as well as a number of forts in the Hormozgan region. There were a few diversionary thrusts into the Arabian Peninsula, allowing for a consolidation of the line in the Hormozgan, where a series of battles took place that really decided the war, my Persians managing to gain the upper hand. Just. It was bloody, but in the end we hammered out a peace treaty. Basra would be returned, and the Island of Hormuz, and everything north, would be handed over to Persia. This allowed me to complete a few missions, and really marks the end of Persian interest in Egyptian affairs.

Recovering from the war now, I finally finished integrating Astrakhan, and noticing that Egypt had taken out the Ottoman rump state that had been so cruelly torn from Persian protection, I turned over the province of Malatya to the remnants of the Ottomans. Fun times all round.

Also, with the Italians having some fun with revolutionaries, I noticed that Trebizond had somehow broken free from their grasp, up in the Crimea. They appreciated their two months of independence, I'm sure.

AIZ9uJZ.jpg

Vassals Integrated: Astrakhan
Vassals Gained: Ottomans
Provinces Gained: Altay, Kobdo, Uliastai, Bam, Bandar Langeh, Darab, Hormuz, Jask, Kazerun, Mogostan, Siraf, Malatya
Provinces Gained for Georgia: Matrega

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This month's development diary for EU4 was really quite extensive, but lacked any release date for the new patch/expansion. The next dev diary isn't due till 4th Feb, so we're probably not going to get any release date until at least then. Meaning, that when we finish this campaign (possibly Sunday?), we almost certainly won't know when the next big patch is out, meaning we can likely fit in another game of EU4. Or something else if people are interested.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be up for another EU4 adventure!

Other than EU4 I'm only somewhat good at Stellaris. I have CK2, but that never really clicked.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
The new patch sounds really interesting. Maybe we start a ne campaign and just play until the new patch is out?

If we want to play some other paradox games, I can somewhat play hoi4, ck2 and stellaris.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion: the next patch is probably gonna take at least 2 extra months while this is probably the last session of the game, given the nature of these games, it is always best to have a repeated continuous schedule so people are able to make time for it easily / have a normal cadence. So lets look at the other Paradox games, in history chronology:
Imperator: newest game, still quite green. Could be interesting to play but probably most people dont own it. It is in Gamepass. It should be shorter than EU4.
CK2: probably the deepest game. The combination of RPG makes it the most interesting but it can be quite treaky to play in MP. It should be a bit longer than EU4.
EU4: you already have the experience on it and can better balance the game next time with spawn areas.
Victoria 2: te game should be finished in 3 weeks. Very complex and would require more coordination for diplomacy, with crisis and with colonization.
HoI4: the shortest, should take 2 days tops. Would require 2 teams led by some people that know the game and talk between you. The game is not that complicated if not fully optimized and played for laughs with mods / alternative history. HoI4 is gonna get a major expansion soon, but games being short shouldnt dramatically affect.
Stellaris: everyone starts more or less on a similar position. The early to mid game is quite interesting but then it gets bogged down. Stellaris is gonna get a major expansion soon that revamps diplo so it might not be a good time to start the game.

Basically I would say the best option would be continuing with EU4 or moving to HoI4.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This month's development diary for EU4 was really quite extensive, but lacked any release date for the new patch/expansion. The next dev diary isn't due till 4th Feb, so we're probably not going to get any release date until at least then. Meaning, that when we finish this campaign (possibly Sunday?), we almost certainly won't know when the next big patch is out, meaning we can likely fit in another game of EU4. Or something else if people are interested.
I'd rather a game of CK2, which is even free-to-play. I could even host.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I am a bit burned out by EU4, but I could start a new game outside Euope for a change. Or Byzantium.

CK2 is my main, so I prefer that :) if we start around 1200AD the length of the game should be similar. I could make a list of Tier1 kingdom to not start playing as. And it could be converted in an EU4 game afterward.

I own Stellaris but played very little, owned Vic2 but haven't play in many years (basically forgot everything), don't own HoI2.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If we do CK2, I would suggest everyone start as a count-level ruler (or a merchant prince) and work their way up. That's probably more interesting than if people just started as a king and went wild. The standard 1066 starting date (or later) would be my preference, if we go earlier everybody would end up playing OP Pagan religions and while fun, that would lead to a way more chaotic game where certain players would easily rule the game.

Could do EU4 again as well of course. Though the idea of playing CK2 and then converting to EU4 to continue playing sounds incredibly interesting as well.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
If we do CK2, I would suggest everyone start as a count-level ruler (or a merchant prince) and work their way up. That's probably more interesting than if people just started as a king and went wild. The standard 1066 starting date (or later) would be my preference, if we go earlier everybody would end up playing OP Pagan religions and while fun, that would lead to a way more chaotic game where certain players would easily rule the game.

Could do EU4 again as well of course. Though the idea of playing CK2 and then converting to EU4 to continue playing sounds incredibly interesting as well.
CK2 multi need a tweak on the default game rules about diseases, plots, etc... Speed 3 should be good.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I am a bit burned out by EU4, but I could start a new game outside Euope for a change. Or Byzantium.

Haha I was just going to suggest that everybody would start in Europe for a new EU4 game so we'd have a bit more interaction in stead of just blobbing the entire campaign.

I could be down for CK2, but I'm going to be absolutely rubbish at it. Might still be fun though.

In other news, not going to make it tonight due to a very early start tomorrow. So RIP Mughals :(

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Haha I was just going to suggest that everybody would start in Europe for a new EU4 game so we'd have a bit more interaction in stead of just blobbing the entire campaign.
Not a bad idea. With those early departures, me failing in Florence, and Scotland brexiting out, we Big 3 have each carved peacefully a nice piece to Europe.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up for anything, but the idea to play as counts in ck2 is very enticing even though I'm not as well versed in it as in EU.