• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these games would you be happy to play next?

• Imperator: Rome

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Crusader Kings 2

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Europa Universalis 4

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Hearts of Iron 4

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Stellaris

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Other (Please specify in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So, short summary of my (short) game:

- Joined the game, yay!
- Found out that Wallachia was pretty much fucked, no!
- Started playing Moldavia, found out they were being annexed, no!
- Poland annexed Mazovia, tanking their dip rep and pausing my annexation, yay!
- Got into heavy loans to get a dip rep advisor and get some independence support from Bohemia, yay!

Now kinda hoping some miracle happens and I can get independence support from either Hungary or Muscovy next game (am -8 away from Hungary, -21 from Muscovy) and then I'll just #yolo and fight the Polish assholes.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the great war against the Ottomans did not go exactly as hoped. Very early in the war the cowardly Austrians and Hungarians agreed to a shameful peace, which left Venice and the Mamluks to fight alone. The results of the war were mixed: the Balkan front collapsed entirely, with the Ottomans overrunning Bosnia, Serbia and all of Venice. The Anatolian theater saw much more success, with the Ottomans driven out and Edirne taken by the Mamluks. Ultimately there was some, uh, diplomatic confusion and the Ottomans were only forced to hand over their treasury rather than having to cede territory.

The good news is that the handsome war reparations paid by the Ottomans allowed Venice to rebuild their fleet and army with ease. With the Ottomans 2,500 ducats in debt and their manpower exhausted, with only 5 years left in the truce, a second campaign with Austria bolstering the Balkan front might be enough to end the Turkish threat, or at the very least to contain it.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Man, what a shitty session for me. Literally every AI neighbor declared me war, and I didn't even had an army...

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This session ended up a bit better for me. The event which gave me Orkney triggered, I managed to support another set of rebels in Man enough to start the rebellion but the support ended in time to not make me an ally so next session I can declare war on them.

Meanwhile England annexed 2 more vassals in Ireland and declared war against another country there which has a big enough army to hold them a bit so I offered them my army and I started wrecking havoc on England's main land while their armies are busy there. This war should end pretty badly for England if all goes as planned and with more rebels to support in the future I'm a bit more optimistic now.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
So I liked Uzzy's write-up last time, thought I'd do one as well.

At the start of the session we were at war with some minor nations after having won our indepence last game:

bgmktww.jpg

So the peace with Delhi was coming up and they were allied to Multan. I wanted to co-belligerent them for some of that sweet Multani clay as well, but they were allied to Jaunpur, my fateful ally. So I came up with the good old strategy of calling in Jaunpur for a war with Sirmur. We sat on that a while and when the truce timer with Delhi was up we declared.

Now the only DLC I don't have is Mare Nostrum. Trade Leagues annoy me. So when out of the blue (I might have ignored a pop-up) Mewar comes marching with a 13k stack and a pretty good general, I was a bit scared.

dnyXEcV.jpg

they started sieging down Lahore and not knowing what else to do I enabled a defensive edict and let them do their thing. Meanwhile I dealt with Multan and Delhi and before I know it, the Condotierri agreement ended without them even doing anything.

So in the end, the mighty nation of sirhind looks like this:

wQvPI2o.jpg

I'm also busy getting Jangladesh as a vassal

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
The Mamluks started the session with taking some territory for their vassals in the Arabian peninsula and securing more lands around the lower Nile. The following oppertunistic Ottoman-Mamluk war did not go as planned due to ferocious fort defenses of inner Anatolia, slowing down our advance and some minor harrasement from Tunis in Alexandria. After securing Anatolia a peace was arranged after our ally Venice was forced to cede lands to the Ottomans who were able to sweep the Balkans after a hasty peace and retreat of the Austrian-Hungarian armies. However the Ottomans were forced to pay dearly as their coffers were emptied for war reparations and a peasant uprising swept their lands, however, no Ottoman or Mamluk lands were exchanged in a diplomatic snafu that will go down in history. A significant chunk of the war reparations were diverted to Venice as a token of our continued cooperation and friendship in containing the Ottoman manice.

They are now boxed in between Austria-Hungry, Poland-Lithuania, the Mamluk-Karaman-Venice alliance and Georgia-Qara.

While a short peace exists the Mamluks look towards consolidating their position on the Arabian peninsula, however, we might be forced to look south as the mad King of Ethopia has thrown his nation and the region into chaos and a threat further down seeks to take advantage of that.

Qara Qoyunlu Qhronicles Part 2 - 1459 to 1471
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
OFFICIAL THEME

bqY4XYb.jpg

The expansion of the Black Sheep continues in the North, South and West. Only the East is terrifying, with the contact finally being made with the Timurids. Things are going to be difficult.

I started off by clearing Ajam off the face of the Earth and gained a bunch more Shia provinces, including one from their ally Biapas. This proved to be a pretty easy war, we're in the clean up phase of our early expansion, though the appearance of pretender rebels didn't make it too easy. After Ajam and their vassal Luristan were annexed, we turned on Musasha, taking their one remaining province, and adding another vital Shia province to our nation. Our religious unity's looking pretty good now! A whole 57%

The west proved rather more exciting, with Austria, Hungary, Venice and the Mamluks all attacking the Ottomans. Sadly, I didn't have a direct claim against them, as opportunistically joining in was somewhat tempting. But at least I managed to jump on the White Sheep, Aq Qoyunlu, as they weren't going to be defended by the Ottoman menace. I took the one direct province I had a claim on, and fed their last two Armenian, Coptic provinces to my Armenian, Coptic vassal Bitlis. Take that history.

Moving north, I fed Georgia three of their cores in Imeriti. I'd have taken all of them but I really couldn't be bothered hunting down the Imeriti and Theodorian army. A quick war with Shirvan followed, directly taking their last province. This province is in the European continent, which unlocked the 'Present on Two Continents' Age Objective. Just needed one more to have access to a Golden Age.

In between all these wars, I dev pushed the province of Baghdad until I spawned the Renaissance there. Just need the money to embrace it now, and loaning up for it is pretty tempting. But, we might be able to get the money another way. The Timurids finally pushed their way to my border, smashing the poor defenceless nation of Mazandaran, which was truly a crime (getting to them before I did). War with the Timurids seems inevitable, and it'll be a hell of a clash.

Provinces Gained: Kirmanshah, Korra's Biceps, Shushtar, Malamir, Astara, Mardin, Dagestan.
Provinces Gained for Bitlis: Erzurum, Mush
Provinces Gained for Georgia: Guria, Imeriti, Odishi.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Provinces Gained: Kirmanshah, Korra's Biceps, Shushtar, Malamir, Astara, Mardin, Dagestan.
Provinces Gained for Bitlis: Erzurum, Mush
Provinces Gained for Georgia: Guria, Imeriti, Odishi.
So in the end, the mighty nation of sirhind looks like this:

wQvPI2o.jpg

I'm also busy getting Jangladesh as a vassal

That's some impressive expansion. With the Mamluks, it looks like all the magic is happening outside Europe.

They are now boxed in between Austria-Hungry, Poland-Lithuania, the Mamluk-Karaman-Venice alliance and Georgia-Qara.

It is also worth noting that the Tunisian leader is "cruel" and they are deeply in debt, so they might not join the Ottomans if we launch an attack in 1476 when the truce ends. Not having the Tunisian navy harassing us and no second front near Alexandria might be the final nail in the Ottoman coffin.

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
It is also worth noting that the Tunisian leader is "cruel" and they are deeply in debt, so they might not join the Ottomans if we launch an attack in 1476 when the truce ends. Not having the Tunisian navy harassing us and no second front near Alexandria might be the final nail in the Ottoman coffin.

No idea what cruel means as that is too new for me, but I think they went to war with Castille as they asked for military access and after that Tunis it's army buggered off. But I have to keep that in mind so I can build up my manpower a bit and not waste too much in it in a thousand smaller wars so we can strike quickly again. Atleast now I have a claimon their territory so I can use the correct diplomatic actions.

Uzzy what mods are you using? I like the emblems you have on your armies.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea what cruel means as that is too new for me, but I think they went to war with Castille as they asked for military access and after that Tunis its army buggered off. But I have to keep that in mind so I can build up my manpower a bit so we can strike quickly again. Atleast I have a claim now on their territory so I can use the correct diplomatic channels.

For AI, "cruel" is a trait that basically means they are a dick. There is a -20 penalty for them accepting any diplomatic offers, including joining wars.

I think I'm going to spend the next 5 years improving my relations to Tunisia so they are less likely to join. I think it's also better if I declare the war this time: I have casus belli and I can bring Austria into the war. Without Austria they will just overrun me again.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
How do we get an invite to the discord?

The link expired after 6 hours. There's one available on the PC Gaming ERA thread. :)

No idea what cruel means as that is too new for me, but I think they went to war with Castille as they asked for military access and after that Tunis it's army buggered off. But I have to keep that in mind so I can build up my manpower a bit and not waste too much in it in a thousand smaller wars so we can strike quickly again. Atleast now I have a claimon their territory so I can use the correct diplomatic actions.

The anime emblems are from 'For The Glory Of Your Waifu', and the map mods are Theatrum Orbis Terrarum

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Ok, suggestion for a new nation to pick? I don't wanna pick something too far from the other players, so I am torn between Savoy or Genoa (keeping the game in Italy) or something completely different like Georgia/Imereti, maybe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Ok, suggestion for a new nation to pick? I don't wanna pick something too far from the other players, so I am torn between Savoy or Genoa (keeping the game in Italy) or something completely different like Georgia/Imereti, maybe.

Georgia is my vassal and Imereti is an OPM that'll die really soon.

Holland is a good pick.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah Holland wil work, also a more chill game where you can get great allies just because everyone hates your overlord! And afterwards you just colonize.

The HRE is also quite empty right? Brandenburg or Bohemia could also work.

And wow Uzzy 's waifu mod, that's awesome. very curious what Waifu I am.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Yeah Holland wil work, also a more chill game where you can get great allies just because everyone hates your overlord! And afterwards you just colonize.

The HRE is also quite empty right? Brandenburg or Bohemia could also work.

And wow Uzzy 's waifu mod, that's awesome. very curious what Waifu I am.

Georgia is my top pick for Crusader Kings since it was the smallest playable kingdom in the first game ;)

Colonization-focused games are always fun. Holland becomes my top pick outside of Italy.

Playing in Italy could make me reminisce too much about my awful Florence performance where I lost 40k men in just three wars in 4 hours.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I am unsure about anyone picking Holland right now unless you have a clear guideline on how people will act during the Netherlands revolution, as they are pretty hard coded and a pain in the ass in general.

I would say something in SEA would be interesting as Europe seems quite overpopulated.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Don't want to pressure you into anything, but there is still a lot of space in the east and it is getting a bit lonely over here.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
That sounds a bit menacing. I guess you are colonising near me, which I don't know how to feel about yet :)

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I am unsure about anyone picking Holland right now unless you have a clear guideline on how people will act during the Netherlands revolution, as they are pretty hard coded and a pain in the ass in general.

I would say something in SEA would be interesting as Europe seems quite overpopulated.

Wouldn't they have formed the Netherland themselves long before those events fire? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't they have formed the Netherland themselves long before those events fire? Or am I misunderstanding your post?
It depends on how the burgundian succession event ended up, but normally the HREmperor/Austria gets most of the required space and if he is trying to form it, it tends to involve war with them (or the event happening). He has 50 years before the timer starts (1550 I think?) and a mean time of 10 years.
At start, that area tends to have high AE (even more if part of the HRE) so blobbing quite fast can be annoying. But yes, revolution cannot happen to him, but can happen to the big guy and those rebel stacks are thicc.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Short summary of the adventures of Moldavia

By some insane miracle got Bohemia, Hungary and Muscovy to support my independence, Poland couldn't handle those powers, so I got my independence. Yay!

Sadly I made a crucial mistake in getting my independence. I decided 'Fuck this, I'm getting two provinces', which was dumb for two reasons:

1. It would've probably been smarter to destroy the vassalage with Danzig instead of getting two lousy provinces, and then get those provinces a war later.
2. Getting the provinces caused all my allies to go "WTF dude, where's our land gains?!?!' and distrust my ass, causing me to go from three (four with Uzzy) strong allies to zero strong allies.

Then I declared war on my new rival Theodoro for, what I thought, would be an easy humiliation war. I was fully banking on Lithuania giving mil access to Theodoro and that I could use that to beat them. Turns out Lithuania didn't want to do that. So I had to 'lose' that war >_>.

Anyway, I almost got my Bohemian and Russian allies back and maybe, maybe we can go to Poland again. That said, Poland is in a bit of rebel trouble now, so could be that next game there is no Poland anymore. There's also some trouble brewing south of me, so who knows, I could even snipe a Turkish province if I'm very, very lucky (lolno).

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Man oh man oh man, if only we could have played that last half hour, I was so close to getting my first major goal.

Not your fault though Fanboi, I understand RL issues take precedent.

But I'll wait with my write-up until wednesday, as my game was a war against Timmy with Uzzy (he'll probably shed some light on that) and then thoroughly breaking my country for reasons that probably won't surprise most people here but I'm going to keep a secret.

Uzzy let's keep our alliance for a bit longer (I really need it to scare off rivals for a while).

Qara Qoyunlu Qhronicles Part 3 - 1471 to 1489
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
OFFICIAL THEME

2ozAjN2.jpg

A good productive session! Started off with a quick, easy war against Haasa as the one fort they had in the Basra region was mothballed. Couldn't not take an opportunity like that, they were practically begging for it. I finally got a coastline in the process, and encouraged some of my cavalrymen onto the open water. They'll love it there I'm sure. I would have advanced further down the western side of the Persian Gulf but a certain other nation blocked me off. I see what you did there.

My attention was then pulled north with another opportunistic war. Crimea had taken the last Georgian core, and was involved in a conflict with Genoa. So another quick clean up operation gave my beloved Georgian vassal their last core. Not sure what the long term plan with them is going to be, as they're an excellent march and defender in the Caucasus. Anyway, between those wars, I integrated one of my other vassals, the OPM Kharabakh.

The main event was the war with the Timurids though. Allying with Sirhind and Transoxiana, we surrounded the Timmies and flooded them from all sides. It wasn't the decisive war it needed to be, and things were a little hairy at parts, especially when my manpower was entirely drained, but I still managed to take the fortress of Qazvin, as well as cleaning up the OPMs of Biapis and Ardalan.

I also finally got my first idea group unlocked, and instantly grabbed the first three Aristocratic ideas. +30% to my Cavalry Combat Ability now, huzzah. Sadly, my glorious king Jahan Shah died during the Timurid war, so I no longer have a +2 to Shock Pips, just a +1. But still, it's pretty nice. Just need to ban all hunting activities for my new heir now.

Provinces Gained: Basra, Shatt, Ahvaz, Hoveyzeh, Ardalan, Rasht, Hamadan, Qazvin, Soltanieh.
Provinces Gained for Georgia: Abkhazia
Vassals Integrated: Kharabakh

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Uzzy you should start worrying about the mameluks as they have basically forced you out of westwards expasion. Otherwise, you can try to have crimea as a second march because they are a pretty good attack wolf.
Otherwise, timmies looking mighty and worrysome. I gotta give kudos to the AI for that.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today's session was another edition of Venetian realpolitik in the Balkans.

The plan was simple, dare I say perfect: secure an alliance with Poland while waiting five years for the truce with the Ottomans to end, then declare war with Poland and Austria on the Turks, while the Mamluks would declare their own war from east and invade Anatolia. Ottomans, deeply in debt, would not be able to withstand such onslaught and the Turkish threat in the Mediterranean would be ended once and for all.

Alas, the plan was simply too good to become reality. Less than a year before the hostiles were to commence, the tiny country of Moldavia managed to drag most of eastern Christendom to fight for their independence against Poland. As a result the once mighty Poland is a spent force and of no use against the Ottomans.

Worse yet, Venetian greed compelled me to make the best of a bad situation, and I declared war on Bosnia, as I could summon Austria as an ally, thus bringing them to fight their own ally, Hungary. The war was brief and easy, Bosnia was taken and Hungary ceded Lika, thus connecting Venetian Balkans to Austria.

The consequences of this war were more severe than anticipated, however. Austria no longer was willing to join against the Ottomans, making any war against the Ottomans in the Balkans a suicide. Eliminating Bosnia also means there will be no easy way to drive a wedge between Austria and Hungary in the future: losing such an opportunity was not worth the two measly provinces I gained.

Rest of the session was spent on trying to get Austria and/or Castile to join against the Ottomans, to no avail. This allowed Ottomans to regain all their former strength, as well as to conquer Theodoro. Austria then decided to declare an imperial war against Savoy, who just happened to be allied with the Ottomans, and most of southern Europe is now on fire. The goal is to get out of the war with minimum effort while still gaining enough favours to call Austria against the Ottomans once the truce is complete. Unfortunately the Ottomans are already rolling into the Balkans, and we must pray the Austrians move fast.

GLJ3uQ4.png

Provinces gained: Lika and Bosnia

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, I'll do a short write-up as I don't have anything better to do.

I started out with a quick war against Baluchistan, full annexing them in the process. And what do you know, I became a great power:

287lCTb.jpg

Then it was time for the big one, attacking The Timmurids for the first time. QQ, Transoxiana and me, it seemed like we would have a pretty strong alliance against them. But I always underestimate the forces those OPMs bring to the table. We kicked Sindh out of the war, and occupied the wargoal (Roh) and their capital. Then I sorta lost control of the war when I forgot to peace out the OPMs Uzzy had already full occupied and Roh was taken by rebels. As Timmy was sieging down my capital I did get an 80% warscore from them, gave Uzzy some nice provinces and took most of what I wanted.

P56kwoB.jpg

Now I'm a bit of bind though as I'm breaking parts of my country, Jaunpur decided to break our alliance and rival me and I'm in a bit of debt.

Still, the progress isn't bad and I'm close to my first major goal!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Uzzy you should start worrying about the mameluks as they have basically forced you out of westwards expasion. Otherwise, you can try to have crimea as a second march because they are a pretty good attack wolf.
Otherwise, timmies looking mighty and worrysome. I gotta give kudos to the AI for that.
Crimea is allies with Ottomans though, might be a hard battle.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

On the bright side, it does mean that the Ottomans have to go through my Georgian Mountain Forts if they want to attack me.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would have loved to join in with you lot, but class is prohibiting me from staying up as late as these sessions go.
Maybe next time.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
My session went pretty average. I conquered Isle of Man, but the Ireland expansion went nowhere quickly as England conquered or made vassals out of everybody there except one country which was allied with Denmark. Luckily they decided they want also that one which sparked now a full war between England and Denmark (which were previously allied) and hopefully that will weaken England enough to give me another chance at going forward.

Also I need that Renaissance like now.

It's pretty nonsense that a country who freed themselves from England via rebels accepts to become vassals of them pretty soon after.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
First session with Holland, after Florence sank and it was annexed by Ferrara (man, those Estes!).

I joined the session, late, because I was playing RE2make and I was convinced it would begin at 21:30, instead of 21.

I started with Holland getting hit by a war against all of its neighbours, that I'm trying hard to remember the name, but I've never played in those regions. For sure it was Barbant, Cleves, Utrecht and Friesland. I peaced out losing a couple of provinces, but I got better afterward.

I got two allies in the region in Gelre and another country I'm not remembering. I'm trying to suck hard to France to get their benevolence.
Before the session abruptly ended I got my revenge on Brabant ad I was winning another war to win back Friesland.

Rioght now, to form Netherlands, I need just one more province, Gelre (which I may try to vassalize) and 10 Admin tech.

Right now I have a convincing 12k army, "just" 9 loans, and I already may be the biggest dog in the Low Countries region.
Not a bad start.

Would have loved to join in with you lot, but class is prohibiting me from staying up as late as these sessions go.
Maybe next time.
We may organize a CK2 play later on :)

My session went pretty average. I conquered Isle of Man, but the Ireland expansion went nowhere quickly as England conquered or made vassals out of everybody there except one country which was allied with Denmark. Luckily they decided they want also that one which sparked now a full war between England and Denmark (which were previously allied) and hopefully that will weaken England enough to give me another chance at going forward.

Also I need that Renaissance like now.

It's pretty nonsense that a country who freed themselves from England via rebels accepts to become vassals of them pretty soon after.
Just wait a century, you and I will fuck England up.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Here my short write-up, now even with some pretty pictures. After conquering all of Ayutthaya, I made my first mistake and started colonizing next to Brunei to get some claims on them, which isn't necessary. Instead I should have went further east. Shortly after that some missclicks happened and I gave the clergy money they didn't needed and I didn't had and I only got 100 adm points because I paniced and forgot to increase their influence.

I got Pegu as a vassal next and they are getting feed next session. During the war with my old ally some weird stuff happened. While I was siegen down a fort with some troops of my vassal attached, he just pulled his and my units back, Ithen was unable to move them for a month and since I missed about 10k of my troops I lost some battles.

I also got some new rivals in India, so Geido, I would be happy to help you with Jaunpur or Bahmanis. And Merkunt, I am thankful for your financial aid, but the Malacca trade node is going to be my main node, so I am protective of that area.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
If we can settle on some borders between us, I can think we can be great allies Lausebub

Basically I want all Eastern Aryan culture provinces, what do you think about that?

And yeah, what's up with the random money from Kilwa? I think I got some as well.