• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I feel that this ruling only makes leaving the EU more difficult for other member states. What's the point in the EU even negotiating a withdrawal agreement if the notification can be withdrawn unilaterally?

If A50 is non binding from one side it just becomes meaningless right?
Quoting somebody else, this is what happens when laws are written by diplomats instead of lawyers.

This is also why the EU is being rah-rah-rah about laws and regulations and why it'll only become much more stringent about them. The EU is a creature of laws, so bad stuff happens whenever it forgets about that.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
So all May has to say to parliament is "If you want to well and truly wipe Remain off the map, vote for my deal."
Not as simple as that as Brexiteers believe May's deal is worse than remaining as we could end up more of a rule-taker than before (the opposite of what they wanted from Brexit), and the DUP will never vote for the backstop as described in the withdrawal deal.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, EU is giving the UK a get out of jail free card.

Question is, will UK accept it or will they continue being hardheaded?

I don't see May accepting it annoyingly though she may gruelingly accept a peoples vote for a No deal or Remain if her deal is voted down (which I don't see how it will pass atm).

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe the EU will extend this nonsense. The UK should leave after 2 years of wasting our time and money.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see May accepting it annoyingly though she may gruelingly accept a peoples vote for a No deal or Remain if her deal is voted down (which I don't see how it will pass atm).
No one in their right mind should be letting No Deal anywhere near a ballot paper, it's unconscionable. The British public are probably stupid enough to pick it too.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it is toothless now, situation could change where a threat of using A50 could draw favorable concessions. Why would countries like France and Italy agree to limit their options?
No I'm saying that if A50 is unilaterally withdrawable then it no longer functions as much of a threat. Why would the EU take it seriously?

Oct 26, 2017
Not as simple as that as Brexiteers believe May's deal is worse than remaining as we could end up more of a rule-taker than before (the opposite of what they wanted from Brexit), and the DUP will never vote for the backstop as described in the withdrawal deal.
That's what will happen regardless. Exiting the EU will cut the UK out of any and all decision making of the bloc.
Deal or no deal. Once they're out, they lose their seat at the table. That was obvious from the start. The moronic part from the get go, was that Brexiters actually fooled people into believing otherwise. High on nostalgic empire fumes people actually believed that exiting the EU would allow the UK to enforce its own will on the EU. I mean in that regard the first Brexiters referendum was more about exposing the amount of absolute gullible idiots in the UK. (Mind you I think that percentage holds true for humankind as a whole)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have the suspicion that every Brexit proponent who was going to vote against the current Brexit deal in parliament might now rather vote in favor for the deal to have Brexit at any rate than having no Brexit at all. A reversal of Brexit becoming easier and more likely must surely scare them.

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it is toothless now, situation could change where a threat of using A50 could draw favorable concessions. Why would countries like France and Italy agree to limit their options?
Because unlike empty internet gossip they actually know that the other EU states would call their bluff the instant, and it's not worth jeopardising their future standing in negotiations to make some assclowns at home happy.
Brexit has exposed what happens when one of the most influential members wants to leave, and states like Italy despite all the hollow macho rethoric, know they'd be fucked if they even tried the same. So we get a lot of impotent sabre rattling and hollow threats, that everyone and their dog can see for the toothless ramblings they are.

Oct 25, 2017
I have the suspicion that every Brexit proponent who was going to vote against the current Brexit deal in parliament might now rather vote in favor for the deal to have Brexit at any rate than having no Brexit at all. A reverse of Brexit becoming easier and more likely must surely scare them.
I don't think so, most simply don't want May's Brexit and would rather remain. Hell a lot of their careers are built on moaning about the EU, they'll be relieved to remain.

In any case it shouldn't be enough to get close to a win for May. The Remain Tories and the DUP would still be on the other side.

nomango

Oct 28, 2017
No I'm saying that if A50 is unilaterally withdrawable then it no longer functions as much of a threat. Why would the EU take it seriously?
Because people are shortsighted. For instance, what if the yellow vest movement in France grew larger and started asking for budgetary concessions from EU? Why wouldn't the yellow vests not want a threat of a retractable leave as an option?

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
That's what will happen regardless. Exiting the EU will cut the UK out of any and all decision making of the bloc.
Deal or no deal. Once they're out, they lose their seat at the table. That was obvious from the start. The moronic part from the get go, was that Brexiters actually fooled people into believing otherwise. High on nostalgic empire fumes people actually believed that exiting the EU would allow the UK to enforce its own will on the EU. I mean in that regard the first Brexiters referendum was more about exposing the amount of absolute gullible idiots in the UK. (Mind you I think that percentage holds true for humankind as a whole)
The Brexiteers don't believe that will happen regardless. They see May's deal as a threat to their Brexit dream.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

So it's okay to use bigoted/racist slurs on Era now?

Outright hatred and lack of common decency in this thread is disturbing.
Yeah, the Brits are at the receiving end of demonisation, endless scape goating and " lack of decency ".

Look at your own country, your government and the way it conducted itself while talking to and with the EU and your MEPs and tell me the problem is an unfair resentment of the UK.

" Beg for mercy" is overdoing it ( significantly so), but the general sentiment is true. The way the UK interacts with and sees itself in the EU need to change.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so, most simply don't want May's Brexit and would rather remain. Hell a lot of their careers are built on moaning about the EU, they'll be relieved to remain.

In any case it shouldn't be enough to get close to a win for May. The Remain Tories and the DUP would still be on the other side.

Farage and other such cretins are probably desperate to stay in the EU because they can fool some ignorant hateful fools into giving them another MEP job. I also think the papers are hoping for similar because they won't have much to talk about without the EU. There is of course ones who will make a fortune out of leaving the EU and desperate types like Liam Fox, Hunt etc. for their American buddies.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the Brits are at the receiving end of demonisation, endless scape goating and " lack of decency ".

Look at your own country, your government and the way it conducted itself while talking to and with the EU and your MEPs and tell me the problem is an unfair resentment of the UK.

" Beg for mercy" is overdoing it ( significantly so), but the general sentiment is true. The way the UK interacts with and sees itself in the EU need to change.

Wishing the results of a no deal Brexit on the large majority of the country who didn't vote for this shit - which I'd expect to include almost everyone from the UK who posts here - is ridiculous.

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Wishing the results of a no deal Brexit on the large majority of the country who didn't vote for this shit - which I'd expect to include almost everyone from the UK who posts here - is ridiculous.

Even on top of that I struggle to think what precisely the UK has done as an EU member is so damaging. It votes for the vast majority of EU directives and laws. It has an opt out on the Euro (not unique and entirely vindicated in the financial crash) and Schengen, which aren't even unique amongst EU members?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Torn on this.

On one side they treated us like enemies for 2 1/2 years without basic decency and pure arrogance. Just letting everything as it is is not a desirable outcome. UK should atleast acknowledge it will not trigger article 50 for another 50 years. On the other side it would benefit my wife and her family.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Somebody get a line and ask the fine lads at The Times and The Telegraph how they are taking this news.

Please, find Ja Rule Bruno Waterfield, get ahold of this motherfucker so I can make sense of all this.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even on top of that I struggle to think what precisely the UK has done as an EU member is so damaging. It votes for the vast majority of EU directives and laws. It has an opt out on the Euro (not unique and entirely vindicated in the financial crash) and Schengen, which aren't even unique amongst EU members?

Kinda recent one I remember is steel tariffs on cheap imported steel from somewhere like China who were dumping it on the market. UK steel industry and others suffering, closures. Who black balls increased tariffs.....the UK. Yet you won't hear a peep about that in the press.

Didn't the UK also side with Hungary and Orban which was rather pathetic.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The United Kingdom always wants to be the exception, that is the problem. Like Schengen, where it is the only one with Ireland with the opt-out. And Ireland is only due to the United Kingdom. It doesn't want to be a positive contributor. Like it wants Turkey to become a member (as the only current member state) and then uses that as a scare against the EU. The EU is such an important project for the health of Europe, and you have this huge bad actor in there.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The only sensible judgement, the law was vague and written to keep eurosceptics happy. I don't think it's going to cause problems for the EU, the brits got bugger all out of using it.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
All ministers have been rushed to a conference call with PM

Either a delay on vote inc, a resignation or a telling off to stay on point about message after some of her cabinet publicly said to go back and renegotiate

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017

tell me the problem is an unfair resentment of the UK.

See this very thread for plenty of examples, see how British tourists are often unfairly labelled given the vast majority travel without any problems, see the rhetoric coming out from certain European quarters, see Australia and similar for a slur that's in common parlance and let's not pretend it's all harmless jokes especially when coupled with a strong anti-British sentiment (friend of mine was physically attacked at a bar in Perth for being a "pom"), another for emmigrating to there received "bloody immigrants, go home pom" speech from a yokel, even America has it's own problems with limeys and bad teeth... but sure, let's bring all that crap into quite a serious topic which is already having a huge detrimental impact on the lives of millions because it's okay as they're British. And the resentment is totally fair. And deserved.

?

Majority of people in the UK didn't even vote for Brexit (and many who did were sold on lies) so try again with that politician bullshit.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Whoa there. This is like blaming France as a whole for their far right elements. Or blaming Eastern Europe as a whole for their racist elements within their societies.

I don't want Brexit. Most MPs don't want it either. If you are tarring everyone with the same brush then it is a very slippery slope.