• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
That's the sort of attitude that started this mess in the first place

No it didn't. That was started by 20+ years of blaming EU for everything bad and was escalated by "we don't want Eastern Europeans in our neighbourhood" combined with "we don't like brown people" + "the refugees will conquer us".

And no, the fact that there are some nuts on the other side doesn't excuse anything.

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This is bullshit
The UK need to crawl on their knees and beg for mercy

this is beyond stupid. "the UK" is not a bunch of idiotic and greedy politicians, it's also people. some are idiotic and greedy, some are just gullible, and a lot just wanted to stay in Europe. I'm pretty sure the latter should not "crawl on their knees and beg for mercy", and exactly no one in the UE will profit from it.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
No one in their right mind should be letting No Deal anywhere near a ballot paper, it's unconscionable. The British public are probably stupid enough to pick it too.

Yep I agree but with the way Brexit's being going I wouldn't be surprised if it is what happens some of the Tory members definitely want that outcome though.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
No it didn't. That was started by 20+ years of blaming EU for everything bad and was escalated by "we don't want Eastern Europeans in our neighbourhood" combined with "we don't like brown people" + "the refugees will conquer us".

And no, the fact that there are some nuts on the other side doesn't excuse anything.
Yeah, those comments actually do.

Let's not pretend the UK is unique in some sections blaming the EU for problems, real or imagined. Let's not pretend every other EU country doesn't have sections which complain about immigrants or asylum seekers. Let's not pretend the UK is really different to any of the other leading EU member states.

Brexit came about due to internal politics and power struggles which have backfired combined with opportunistic rabble rousing and it's all snowballing down the gutter, who pays the price? The people, who can least afford to.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those comments actually do.

Let's not pretend the UK is unique in some sections blaming the EU for problems, real or imagined. Let's not pretend every other EU country doesn't have sections which complain about immigrants or asylum seekers. Let's not pretend the UK is really different to any of the other leading EU member states.

Brexit came about due to internal politics and power struggles which have backfired combined with opportunistic rabble rousing and it's all snowballing down the gutter, who pays the price? The people, who can least afford to.

Nobody said that UK has the monopoly on xenophobia, but UK is the only EU country that acted so radically because of it so far.

And no, other people's xenophobia doesn't excuse one's own.

The EU will rewrite article 50 after this UK debacle is over to prevent exactly what you are describing.

Unless countries like Hungary, Poland and Italy opposed it. And UK if they decide they want back in.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what we have seen from Brexit, it is also mostly those people that voted for it. In England and Wales, it was highly educated, richer people that have voted Remain and the poorer people that have voted Leave. The people who can least afford to seemed to vote for it the most. People voted to hurt themselves, and to give more power to the idiots in charge instead of limiting it.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Someone who invokes Article 50, has their bluff called and goes jk it was a negotiating tactic but we actually didn't get anything is absolutely going to get burned, if not by the EU then by their own nation's voters.

It's fucking the Tories up and they are broadly sticking to Brexit and leaving, it's an insane tactic that could probably only happen in Italy where they don't seem to care who runs the country.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Based on what we have seen from Brexit, it is also mostly those people that voted for it. In England and Wales, it was highly educated, richer people that have voted Remain and the poorer people that have voted Leave. The people who can least afford to seemed to vote for it the most. People voted to hurt themselves, and to give more power to the idiots in charge instead of limiting it.

It's almost like voting habits are more closely aligned with demographic issues than individuals exercising critical thought to come to a conclusion on their own agency.

I.e. this is not an argument to say fuck those people.

Real people's lives are at stake here, in the UK and in the rest of the EU. An internet tough guy approach is not becoming.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

This, in a nutshell.

If this all ends up being undone, the biggest thing that this country needs to do is to actually educate those people on the benefits of being a member of the EU, and not thinking that all it brings to the table is hardship and candidly, "bad immigration" - which is what is - and I don't think i'm generalising much ere - one of the first things to come out of working class leave voters mouths when they are asked why they voted the way they did.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's as clear cut as that but I don't wholly disagree. Why do you think that happened? It wasn't honest from the start. Plaster shit like the NHS getting an additional £350million (or whatever it was) per week everywhere which within hours of the result being confrimed everyone is told the money won't be coming. Similar story with jobs and improving the country's standard of living.

PM of Netherlands had some balls on a referendum there not so long ago; told everyone "I don't think the result is in the country/people's best interest" and that was the end of that... simplified of course.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
This, in a nutshell.

If this all ends up being undone, the biggest thing that this country needs to do is to actually educate those people on the benefits of being a member of the EU, and not thinking that all it brings to the table is hardship and candidly, "bad immigration" - which is what is - and I don't think i'm generalising much ere - one of the first things to come out of working class leave voters mouths when they are asked why they voted the way they did.
The only way that's going to happen is with the press getting on board and not blaming the EU and immigrants for everything.

So never.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like voting habits are more closely aligned with demographic issues than individuals exercising critical thought to come to a conclusion on their own agency.

I.e. this is not an argument to say fuck those people.

Real people's lives are at stake here, in the UK and in the rest of the EU. An internet tough guy approach is not becoming.
Bingo.

Sad to see this stuff on Era, especially when mixed with the bigotry towards the UK.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's as clear cut as that but I don't wholly disagree. Why do you think that happened? It wasn't honest from the start. Plaster shit like the NHS getting an additional £350million (or whatever it was) per week everywhere which within hours of the result being confrimed everyone is told the money won't be coming. Similar story with jobs and improving the country's standard of living.
Let's be honest, it is media manipulation with a too weak political class to go against the lies of the Daily Mail-like media. But again, that is an issue generated by the English audience. People have to take responsibility themselves for their own decisions and for ignoring the experts. If they willfully ignore those experts; they should be called out on causing this for themselves.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
while I welcome the decision and the tiny glimmer of hope it provides, it does seem an odd one. The article was badly designed in the first place - I assume they never expected anyone to use it. But now you can enact it, waste millions for two years, then just go 'psych' and withdraw? Seems a potentially destabilising thing.

Having said that - it could allow the government to withdraw while they figure out the best way forward - you know, like they should have done before enacting the fucking thing in the first place. And that could take years/never.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

No - people need to be listened to. Education only works if you properly listen and understand why they voted leave. Telling them they were wrong won't help at all.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No - people need to be listened to. Education only works if you properly listen and understand why they voted leave. Telling them they were wrong won't help at all.

With respect, whilst I agree that just dismissing 17M people as barmpots and racists is absolutely wrong - many of those people have been fed so much incorrect information over decades and have formed their own view based on it - that I'm not sure what we listen to.

FoM is an inherently good thing that does disadvantage some particular communities. But for the overall good of the country and its economy it is a positive. The people who voted leave (mainly) aren't those directly impinged by FoM (some are but a lot aren't) but still mainly voted on that basis. How can we do anything about that whilst not leaving? Therefore I'm unconvinced by any argument to "listen" because you won't be able to action what you hear back.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

MTYs.gif

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

So, what the fuck is going to happen now? Is this going to be kicked along until after Christmas in the hope of... something?

Regardless of whether you agree with Brexit or not (and I certainly don't), it's shameful - but utterly British - to see how it's been handled in the run-up to, during and after the referendum. It's a shambles that pleases no-one, that is handled utterly ineptly, and that's doing huge reputational and real-world damage to the country, and again the country is being held hostage by Tory internal politicking. Fucking disgraceful.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Neither does assuming they want whatever deal the PM and Brexiters think up. The real problem is honesty and truth, if you had a statesman who laid out the facts and hard truths people would be more accepting of the realities but we just have liars, unicorns and people out for self interest. If someone took the lead and said we ignored the plight of many people in areas of the UK, this wasn't an EU or immigration problem, it was multiple UK Governments that were wrong and we will rectify that with this plan while taking advantage of the great benefits of being in the EU as a full member such as......

That's what needs to said.

Last edited:

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Anglophobia is a real thing that happens in some EU circles. There's no way to deny that.

At the same time, it's so rarely (if ever) projected outside internal borders, as it's mostly parochial politics mixed with local prejudices. And these days a fair bit of Twitter trash talk. It gets little if no cover space and it never seeps towards foreign ministries, barring some bizarre interludes regarding Gibraltar.

To claim that it played even the smallest of the significant parts in Brexit is bonkers, given that the UK is basically isolated from it *and* supports an entire industry of ralentless engines of defamation disguised as newspapers, in turn (or is it the other way around?) used to steer N10's policy in the EU. Which makes their positions fantastically visible outside of the UK's natural borders.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
the biggest thing that this country needs to do is to actually educate those people on the benefits of being a member of the EU
I would counter that what the country needs to do is properly address the structural inequalities resulting from 30 years of neoliberalism. The Brexit vote was a provoked lashing-out yes, but it wasn't born in a vacuum.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
while I welcome the decision and the tiny glimmer of hope it provides, it does seem an odd one. The article was badly designed in the first place - I assume they never expected anyone to use it. But now you can enact it, waste millions for two years, then just go 'psych' and withdraw? Seems a potentially destabilising thing.
That would be an incredibly effective way of damaging your own country.

UK has already lost massive amounts of investment since the vote. That's before you consider that almost nothing else bar Brexit has been able to be achieved by parliament.

Then you get into businesses moving to the EU for safety, and EU citizens no longer coming to work here just in case... not good.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, what the fuck is going to happen now? Is this going to be kicked along until after Christmas in the hope of... something?

Regardless of whether you agree with Brexit or not (and I certainly don't), it's shameful - but utterly British - to see how it's been handled in the run-up to, during and after the referendum. It's a shambles that pleases no-one, that is handled utterly ineptly, and that's doing huge reputational and real-world damage to the country, and again the country is being held hostage by Tory internal politicking. Fucking disgraceful.

May will go to EU this week and negotiate. Come back with something, put it to parliament next week.

She hopes that effort and some small EU concession will show her own MPs she has "tried" and perhaps there will be some symbolic "victory" so May can be painted as a tough negotiator and she hopes that will be enough to get it through parliament.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
With respect, whilst I agree that just dismissing 17M people as barmpots and racists is absolutely wrong - many of those people have been fed so much incorrect information over decades and have formed their own view based on it - that I'm not sure what we listen to.

FoM is an inherently good thing that does disadvantage some particular communities. But for the overall good of the country and its economy it is a positive. The people who voted leave (mainly) aren't those directly impinged by FoM (some are but a lot aren't) but still mainly voted on that basis. How can we do anything about that whilst not leaving? Therefore I'm unconvinced by any argument to "listen" because you won't be able to action what you hear back.

We at least need to be listening to the reasons people have - if they're against FoM why? Then we can respond with information - like how it is a net positive. Or how acxtually the government has the ability to put some controls on movement within the EU but chooses not to (therefore being in the EU or out of it would make no difference)

So a combination of education but also listening.

Oct 25, 2017
Whilst I totally agree - what is the alternative? If May does go we risk ending up with Boris or worse.....

Just anything that actually begets some movement. It's less than four months until exit day and we have no decision on what that'll look like. May continuing to blackmail the country with 'my deal or nothing' is untenable. An actual choice needs to be put on a podium to live or die, so we can move on from it, rather than weaseling political cowardice out of some false, blind hope that there's somehow a way to mould this deal into something successful.

Her government have been given so many opportunities, and they're breaking all of their own deadlines. It's a joke and something needs to change.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
May will go to EU this week and negotiate. Come back with something, put it to parliament next week.

She hopes that effort and some small EU concession will show her own MPs she has "tried" and perhaps there will be some symbolic "victory" so May can be painted as a tough negotiator and she hopes that will be enough to get it through parliament.

The EU said they aren't negotiating again, it's done.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest failings of modern times is people's inability to admit mistake. The Government should have some leave way to say "we are not doing that cause that will hurt you".

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We at least need to be listening to the reasons people have - if they're against FoM why? Then we can respond with information - like how it is a net positive. Or how acxtually the government has the ability to put some controls on movement within the EU but chooses not to (therefore being in the EU or out of it would make no difference)

So a combination of education but also listening.

That has already been tried. You are talking to communities of people who do not believe in data or experts. They have formed a view. Based on their "experiences". There is no educating or changing this view. Whatever you do. I live in a leave part of the country. This is how it is. They will not change their views. A leave part of the country with relatively low EU migration too, but high RoW migration. They blame the EU for migration entirely. But they will not change their minds because of a government campaign. Their minds are formed. Whatever you do, is a waste of time and energy.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worst court ever.

The UK should never be allowed back in with their old privileges but not much we can do about it if they decide so I guess. Incredibly bad for the stability of the EU.