• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me taste your salt, Era.

44 years of not winning. We were due our win and that song is amazing. We did it.

To be fair, the Netherlands have won a total of 5 times now.
There's countries that have been participating for well over 30 years and haven't even won a single time - Iceland and Cyprus in particular, and France hasn't won in about as long as the Netherlands either. And before 2017, Portugal never won a single time in over 50 years!

I'm happy the Netherlands won after so long, but let's not pretend that there isn't other countries that would be "due" for a win, either.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The "Big Five" should be cancelled. UK and Germany always bomb hard

Given that the "Big Five" give the most money to the EBU to run the event each year, I'd have to disagree. Regardless of how bad they may do, their financial contribution is invaluable and so they deserve to be in the Grand Final each year.

Also, as others have said, Germany came fourth last year.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Alright, gotta type my anger out. This new system was utter trash. I went "ohnonono" when I realized John ended up on the top with the jury votes. I knew they would completely crush him with that televote result and it just makes it cruel.
Another thing that isn't obvious thanks to this changed system is that Norway won the televoting. They seriously robbed Norway of their spotlight for being the fan favorites!

This is the tele top 10.
5TqR38v.png

And now people are reveling in the reactions of sad and disappointed artists. Especially John will get so much of that thrown in his face which makes me furious when it so easily could have been completely avoided.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
There's countries that have been participating for well over 30 years and haven't even won a single time - Iceland and Cyprus in particular, and France hasn't won in about as long as the Netherlands either. And before 2017, Portugal never won a single time in over 50 years!

I'm happy the Netherlands won after so long, but let's not pretend that there isn't other countries that would be "due" for a win, either.
Belgium came also close a couple of times. But it has been a long time since our only win.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In response to the people calling for the Big 5's blood:
While I don't agree with them auto-qualifying, they do not place badly.
Italy almost always has made the top 10 since their return in 2011. France has consistently been in the upper mid table for the last few years. Germany is very hit or miss and tends to rise and fall like a yo-yo (usually fall, but sometimes they end up top 5).
Only Spain and the UK tend to do badly every year.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I cannot believe the UK placed below San Marino. That song was crap. We're never going to win again...
As for which songs go in my playlist - well, it has to be Norway. So good!

I say this every year some place or other: the worst song to send isn't necessarily a bad song, because bad songs can sometimes have something interesting about them that appeal to some people (gimmicks, catchy chorus, sex appeal, etc). The worst type of song to send is one that everyone agrees is solid but bland; if everyone agrees that a song is the eleventh best, it gets no points and comes last.

I was dismayed when we had the results of our selection in the UK because it seemed probable to me that our song fell right in that category. Michael's a good singer but the song and arrangement were so thoroughly bland that it spelled disaster, especially when combined with bland staging. It's not a horrible song, and it wasn't badly sung, it's just wasn't interesting enough to crack top tens.

Oh, and Norway was my favourite.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I say this every year some place or other: the worst song to send isn't necessarily a bad song, because bad songs can sometimes have something interesting about them that appeal to some people (gimmicks, catchy chorus, sex appeal, etc). The worst type of song to send is one that everyone agrees is solid but bland; if everyone agrees that a song is the eleventh best, it gets no points and comes last.

I was dismayed when we had the results of our selection in the UK because it seemed probable to me that our song fell right in that category. Michael's a good singer but the song and arrangement were so thoroughly bland that it spelled disaster, especially when combined with bland staging. It's not a horrible song, and it wasn't badly sung, it's just wasn't interesting enough to crack top tens.

Oh, and Norway was my favourite.

I agree; the song was never going to do particularly well, because it doesn't have anything to make it stand out particularly. It was a really well sung, but forgettable power ballad - but that doesn't mean it should've been last. "Solid but bland" sums it up - yet "solid but bland" lost to, in my opinion, "mediocre yet memorable", which I disagree with. I understand that this isn't a "professional" singing competition, so the best songs are those which appeal to the public more than the judges - but you can't help but feel disappointed when a solid song under-performs.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

None of what you said holds any water. Just because there are more countries who haven't won in a long time doesn't negate that The Netherlands hadn't won in 44 years. There can be more countries due a win, but only one actual winner. So nobody was pretending anything.

And this time it was The Netherlands that won, with a great song and singer. No matter how salty anyone gets.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Outside of a few cases (like North Macedonia and their treatment of San Marino's entry) I actually agreed more with the jury vote this year. I would have taken most of the top 10-15 over the winner.
I really liked Norway, but yeah it was a gimmick song. The popular vote is getting better and better every year, but as long as gimmick songs get on top, I guess we still need the jury vote. Even if they are more prone to bloc voting.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what all people see in Norway. It was a pretty mediocre song imo. But we can all have different tastes.
For me, either The Netherlands should have won or North Macedonia.

Norway's entry was quirky and catchy. Eurovision needs quirky and catchy. I never like it when generic love songs win because that's not what Eurovision is about. It's an opportunity to dress up in weird outfits and sing stuff that'd never normally get into the charts or send an important message.

Honestly France deserved the win more than the Dutch but I was rooting for Norway the whole time.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I cannot believe the UK placed below San Marino. That song was crap. We're never going to win again...
As for which songs go in my playlist - well, it has to be Norway. So good!

San Marino is a Eurovision fan darling (because it's a microstate struggling every year and trying super hard even though they barely ever qualify), and the song is very happy and upbeat, and Serhat is very charismatic, which is something a lot of people like.

The problem the UK is facing is that, let's be real here, the BBC keeps on not taking the contest seriously and sending super bland shit or straight up terrible shit (like Electro Velvet).
Like this year it was literally the leftovers from Sweden's performer John Lundvik that the UK selected as their song. As good a singer as Michael Rice was, that simply isn't going to do. The UK could absolutely crush it, if it tried. But the attitude of the BBC and the UK at large towards Eurovision is pretty much a mirror of the attitude towards the EU: Wanting to get pat on the back, getting all the rewards with absolutely no effort or responsibilities, and if that simply doesn't work out, yell about those Eastern Europeans taking all of the UK's deserved wins.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway's entry was quirky and catchy. Eurovision needs quirky and catchy. I never like it when generic love songs win because that's not what Eurovision is about. It's an opportunity to dress up in weird outfits and sing stuff that'd never normally get into the charts or send an important message.

Honestly France deserved the win more than the Dutch but I was rooting for Norway the whole time.

Depends on how you view it. Some countries view it as a wacky joke, for others (like my Sweden) it's dead serious. So you can't really say "that's not what Eurovision is about".

It's all trash though.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

Yeah, it was a stupid remark from me. Everyone can have their favorites. There is no need for me to talk down on a song. I don't like weird dresses and such. I just like songs without the fire and drama. Although I love good choreography. That's why I love Euphoria from Sweden. For me one of the best songs ever on the contest. But yeah sorry for my stupid remark.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None of what you said holds any water. Just because there are more countries who haven't won in a long time doesn't negate that The Netherlands hadn't won in 44 years. There can be more countries due a win, but only one actual winner. So nobody was pretending anything.

And this time it was The Netherlands that won, with a great song and singer. No matter how salty anyone gets.

How does it not hold any water?
If you said "the Netherlands deserved the win cause the song and performer were great", sure whatever. But I disagree with the sentiment that "the Netherlands deserved to win because it hasn't won in 44 years" - playing with that angle, there are other countries that are as if not more 'due' a win. That is my point.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
San Marino is a Eurovision fan darling (because it's a microstate struggling every year and trying super hard even though they barely ever qualify), and the song is very happy and upbeat, and Serhat is very charismatic, which is something a lot of people like.

The problem the UK is facing is that, let's be real here, the BBC keeps on not taking the contest seriously and sending super bland shit or straight up terrible shit (like Electro Velvet).
Like this year it was literally the leftovers from Sweden's performer John Lundvik that the UK selected as their song. As good a singer as Michael Rice was, that simply isn't going to do. The UK could absolutely crush it, if it tried. But the attitude of the BBC and the UK at large towards Eurovision is pretty much a mirror of the attitude towards the EU: Wanting to get pat on the back, getting all the rewards with absolutely no effort or responsibilities, and if that simply doesn't work out, yell about those Eastern Europeans taking all of the UK's deserved wins.

Without linking this to Brexit or the EU - the BBC need to change their attitude to Eurovision. They keep trying to send songs which are really good... but really forgettable. They need to find the middle ground - something which is far more memorable, but may not be as musically impressive. I'm not implying we should send trashy acts like... I don't know... Take That or something, but we need to be picking more memorable acts in the future if we ever want to win again.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
The reason spirit in the sky is such a brilliant Eurovision song is because it has an amazing balance of Broadway (leading male voice), dance (female vocals and beat) and chanting for the added 'eurovision' to it. Was the clear winner!

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Without linking this to Brexit or the EU - the BBC need to change their attitude to Eurovision. They keep trying to send songs which are really good... but really forgettable. They need to find the middle ground - something which is far more memorable, but may not be as musically impressive. I'm not implying we should send trashy acts like... I don't know... Take That or something, but we need to be picking more memorable acts in the future if we ever want to win again.

My EU comparison was more meant tongue in cheek, obviously.
But yes. If the UK wants to be taken seriously and win or at least do well, it is going to have to put more effort into things.
In the past few years, we've had small countries like the Netherlands, Portugal or Austria win. Germany won not all that long ago. There's simply no excuse to be looked for outside of the BBC.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
How does it not hold any water?
If you said "the Netherlands deserved the win cause the song and performer were great", sure whatever. But I disagree with the sentiment that "the Netherlands deserved to win because it hasn't won in 44 years" - playing with that angle, there are other countries that are as if not more 'due' a win. That is my point.
Your point is shit. Even if you repeat it twice while ignoring that more than one country can be due a win and you did nothing to prove that NL wasn't due one.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your point is shit. Even if you repeat it twice while ignoring that more than one country can be due a win and you did nothing to prove that NL wasn't due one.

So your main argument for the Netherlands' victory is that they 'deserved' it cause they haven't won in 44 years, gotcha.
And I'm the one with shit points.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy we won! I have never been for the Netherlands before but tonight we had the best song. Might go next year when it gets hosted here.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Also, on the UK entry. Feel bad for the guy cos he's clearly a talented singer, but his song sounded like a 'X-Factor winners song' from about a decade ago.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
My favourite tweet on this:

"All of Europe to Germany:"

That song was bad and they should feel bad.
Also, it's not the first time Germany got 0 points, but before that, they hadn't split up the jury and public vote like this.