• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With about 2 weeks to go until the event, and things starting to pick up in this fortnight, I thought it might be a good idea to post this thread.

The Eurovision Song Contest 2019 will be the 64th edition of the Eurovision Song Contest. The contest is scheduled to take place in Tel Aviv, Israel, following Israel's victory at the 2018 contest in Lisbon, Portugal, with the song "Toy", performed by Netta. The contest will be held at Expo Tel Aviv, the city's convention centre; the show will consist of two semi-finals on 14 and 16 May, and the final on 18 May 2019.

Source: Wikipedia

This year's participants:

Semi 1:
01. Cyprus: Tamta - Reply
02. Montenegro: D mol - Heavem
03. Finland: Darude feat. Sebastian Rejman - Look Away
04. Poland: Tulia - Fire of Love (Pali się)
05. Slovenia: Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl - Sebi
06. Czechia: Lake Malawi - Friend Of A Friend
07. Hungary: Joci Pápai - Az én apám
08. Belarus: ZENA - Like It
09. Serbia: Nevena Božović - Kruna
10. Belgium: Eliot - Wake Up
11. Georgia: Oto Nemsadze - Keep On Going
12. Australia: Kate Miller-Heidke - Zero Gravity
13. Iceland: Hatari - Hatrið mun sigra
14. Estonia: Victor Crone - Storm
15. Portugal: Conan Osiris - Telemóveis
16. Greece: Katerine Duska - Better Love
17. San Marino: Serhat - Say Na Na Na

Israel, Spain and France vote in this semi-final.

Semi 2:
01. Armenia: Srbuk - Walking Out
02. Ireland: Sarah McTernan - 22
03. Moldova: Anna Odobescu - Stay
04. Switzerland: Luca Hänni - She Got Me
05. Latvia: Carousel - That Night
06. Romania: Ester Peony - On A Sunday
07. Denmark: Leonora - Love Is Forever
08. Sweden: John Lundvik - Too Late For Love
09. Austria: PÆNDA - Limits
10. Croatia: Roko - The Dream
11. Malta: Michela - Chameleon
12. Lithuania: Jurij Veklenko - Run With The Lions
13. Russia: Sergey Lazarev - Scream
14. Albania: Jonida Maliqi - Ktheju tokës
15. Norway: KEiiNO - Spirit In The Sky
16. Netherlands: Duncan Laurence - Arcade
17. North Macedonia: Tamara Todevska - Proud
18. Azerbaijan: Chingiz - Truth

Germany, the UK and Italy vote in this semi-final.

Grand Final:
01. Malta: Michela - Chameleon
02. Albania: Jonida Maliqi - Ktheju tokës
03. Czechia: Lake Malawi - Friend Of A Friend
04. Germany: S!sters - Sister
05. Russia: Sergey Lazarev - Scream
06. Denmark: Leonora - Love Is Forever
07. San Marino: Serhat - Say Na Na Na
08. North Macedonia: Tamara Todevska - Proud
09. Sweden: John Lundvik - Too Late For Love
10. Slovenia: Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl - Sebi
11. Cyprus: Tamta - Reply
12. Netherlands: Duncan Laurence - Arcade - Winner!!
13. Greece: Katerine Duska - Better Love
14. Israel: Kobi Marimi - Home
15. Norway: KEiiNO - Spirit In The Sky
16. United Kingdom: Michael Rice - Bigger Than Us
17. Iceland: Hatari - Hatrið mun sigra
18. Estonia: Victor Crone - Storm
19. Belarus: ZENA - Like It
20. Azerbaijan: Chingiz - Truth
21. France: Bilal Hassani - Roi
22. Italy: Mahmood - Soldi
23. Serbia: Nevena Božović - Kruna
24. Switzerland: Luca Hänni - She Got Me
25. Australia: Kate Miller-Heidke - Zero Gravity
26. Spain: Miki - La Venda

As usual, I will update this list as the semis proceed and live performances are posted to the contest's YouTube page.

FAQ:
So when's this gonna happen?

The event is split into 3 parts - 2 semi finals (taking place on May 14 and 16 respectively), and a final on May 18. They all start at this time (timezones yay!):
UK - 8 PM
Central Europe - 9 PM
Eastern Europe - 10 PM
Eastern US - 3 PM
Pacific US - 12 PM

Ermahgerd why is ISRAEL taking part in EUROvision!?!?!?!?!?!?
Israel might not be geographically part of Europe, however, the contest is not for European countries, but for members of the European Broadcast Union (EBU) - to which Israel, and several other countries in Northern Africa and Western Asia count.

But what about AUSTRALIA? THATS NOWHERE NEAR YUROP!!!
In 2015, Australia took part as a guest entry specifically for the 60th anniversary of the Eurovision Song Contest. The country has the biggest viewer base outside of Europe, and since the 2015 contest's motto was "building bridges", the EBU thought it was a fun idea to have them participate. Since their participation in 2015 was such a big success, the EBU and Australian TV decided to continue the country's participation in Eurovision.
In case Australia wins, they will negotiate with a European country for the hosting. Otherwise, every other rule applies to the country. Whether or not Australia or any other countries outside of the EBU will be at any future contests is up in the air, as well.

So why are there already several finalists?
Besides the winner of last year and host (Israel), the "Big 5" automatically skip the semis and are qualified to take part in the final from the get-go. The Big 5 are France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK, and are the countries that provide the biggest budget to the EBU. For the semi-finalists, 10 out of each will qualify, resulting in 26 participants in the Grand Finale.

Where can I watch this if I don't have a TV or live in a country that doesn't broadcast it?
If you live in a country that is officially broadcasting the song contest, the respective broadcaster might have a webstream of the contest, be sure to look it up.
In past years, Eurovision has provided a webstream on either their site or Youtube, I will post a link to it once it is available. This stream will have no commentary, and if you are in a country eligible for voting, you also are not provided with the information to vote. Based on past streams, it will also likely be a few minutes behind.

God Eurovision is so bad why are you assholes watching this trash?
Sod off.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Please tell me if any of the links above lead to wrong places.

So let's have some fun and listen to some music!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not to give away too much, but Semi 1 is the thing to watch for true Eurovision greatness, it's returning to late 2000s form with its weirdness.
And Semi 2 is going to be a pure bloodbath.
Not watching the Semis is kinda depriving me of the weirdest shit there is but I like listening to the songs for the first time during the final. I'm very torn about this.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not watching the Semis is kinda depriving me of the weirdest shit there is but I like listening to the songs for the first time during the final. I'm very torn about this.

Honestly the semis have become the best part about the show for me personally. I enjoy them more than the finals because all the out-there and straight up terrible entries usually don't make it out of 'em, and that's what I come to watch the contest for.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah it's that time of the year.
Can't wait to get pissed while watching it with you guys.

We (GER) have the worst song i can remember in recent history.

Oct 25, 2017
Eurovision is my Endgame
Oh yeah it's that time of the year.
Can't wait to get pissed while watching it with you guys.

We (GER) have the worst song i can remember in recent history.
Wait. The worst German song in recent history?
Now I'm really excited.

Our song (Austria) is the typical slow ballad crap I fall asleep to while listening to it.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Here for Portugal, Italy, Iceland, Slovenia, and Serbia

And praying for San Marino to quali

Fan opinion is all over the place this year, hopefully it makes for a tight result. I like a mess.

Not a fan of the change to the results announcement but maybe it'll be ok.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
No US broadcaster so far this year, which gives me hope that we get the clean feed back. Having to listen to the damn logo commentators the past few years sucked so bad.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to all the entries a few weeks ago and I'm not really impressed with most. The only ones really I care for are Norway, Spain and Iceland. Dunno if I'll bother this year tbh.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I listened to all the entries a few weeks ago and I'm not really impressed with most. The only ones really I care for are Norway, Spain and Iceland. Dunno if I'll bother this year tbh.

Eurovision is as much about the actual stage performance as it is about the song, so you should still watch it with us!

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
ah yes, this time of the year again. Awesome.

Hopefully there will be some really neat tunes.

and of course im going to cheer for my own country.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
At least our (Ireland) entry is just bland and forgettable as opposed to horrible and insulting like some of our previous entries this millennium

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually kind of like the Irish entry this year, though I have very little hope for its qualification.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, it's not bad or annoying and the singer is actually very good, it's just lacking in any sort of interesting hook or gimmick plus block voting only really bags us mid level points from the UK (Which hilariously isn't always reciprocated :p)

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, block voting only ever gets you so far without the support from other places. We've seen Balkan countries like Montenegro or Slovenia struggle even reaching the finals year after year, the Nordics never are guaranteed a spot either (unless they're Sweden lol), and recent years had Russia, Azerbaijan, Greece, Romania and Serbia not qualifying as well, proving once and for all that block and diaspora voting aren't as reliable as the 'common knowledge' would suggest.

Plus, in the last 5 or so years, the quality of the contest has absolutely skyrocketed. It used to be mostly dated schlock with the occasional gem, and we still get some of that cheesy stuff, but there's a lot of contemporary and even avantgarde shit dropped each year. In the past decade, only Eastern Europe really took the contest seriously.

Whenever Western countries send a good song that resonates with the public and jury, they do well. And considering out of last year's top 10, only 3 countries could be considered what is usually lumped together as Eastern Europe (Estonia, Czechia and Moldova, and you could easily make a case about the first 2 being culturally more Nordic/Central European respectively), I think it's pretty fair to say that everyone has a shot. Notoriously and traditionally bad-placing countries like Portugal, Cyprus, Czechia, Germany and Austria also have done exceptionally well in recent years, and Italy also has been doing very well for itself since coming back, even though it has no block or diaspora (or, at least no diaspora to the extent that Eastern European/Caucasus countries do).

If the West takes the contest seriously, then results will follow.

Last edited:

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
I will never not link this to epic sax guy. Moldova for the win!

Epic-Sax-Guy-Meme-Gif.gif

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which song potentially has the best winning catchy gimmick this year?

Russia likely will have a super cheesy 'epic' stage show (god I hate that song so much, it's pure pretentiousness).
In terms of catchiness, San Marino and Czechia probably has the best one, though there's a good amount of contenders for it.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
No US broadcaster so far this year, which gives me hope that we get the clean feed back. Having to listen to the damn logo commentators the past few years sucked so bad.
Rumor is it will still be blocked, but:

-Download Opera browser (it's free)
-go to options and enable the VPN (it's free and has no data cap)
-change VPN to anything not in the US or Canada
-go to youtube and watch the official stream, boom
-you can test it by seeing if you can watch the official 2018 grand final stream (here). It's geoblocked for US users.

or go to the reddit (here) and on the days of the semis and GF they will have a stickied post with links to various streams. SVT (Sweden) usually makes theirs globally available and they're not nearly as awful as LOGO.

orrrrr if you live near a major city there's almost certainly a party happening nearby! You still have some time to order the flags of your faves and go!

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, some countries make their streams available. From the experiences US users had on here and in the old forum, Sweden and Germany usually make it available globally, Austria and Belgium seem to be half and half. UK, Switzerland and Ireland generally geoblock.
Don't remember others.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I've briefly sampled this year's offering and I think it's a good mix of actually good songs, up-tempo weirdness, camp and oddballs here and there. Some shit as well of course.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really rooting for Iceland. Sadly I can't even vote for them in the semifinal, but I'm pretty optimistic they'll make it.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Slovenias song this year. Been listening to it quite a lot. Iceland is also fun, not the usual fare so that's a big plus. The rest I don't care for, at all.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched a few entries on youtube and all i can say is

What the fuck iceland

Also i like ireland.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Curious to know if these artists are well known in Europe or at the very least their respective countries. As an American, the only artist I'm familiar with is Darude (and only because of Sandstorm)

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Curious to know if these artists are well known in Europe or at the very least their respective countries. As an American, the only artist I'm familiar with is Darude (and only because of Sandstorm)
Tamta, Darude, Tulia, Kate Miller-Heidke, Luca Hänni, & Tamara Todevska have all had several hits in their home countries/areas (Tamta in Greece, Luca Hänni in the German-speaking world). Plenty of others are stars from reality singing competitions and/or have since become locally big due to their participation this year, Mahmood in Italy in particular.

Some are popular in alt-pop scenes like Hatari, who got a lot of press out of Iceland Airwaves last year, and Conan Osiris.

Sergey Lazarev is a legit upper-tier pop star in Russia and the Russophone east (Ukraine & Belarus especially).

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, something slightly different. Good. I need more unexpected stuff at Eurovision.
That's why I still approve of Alf Poier running for Austria in 2003.

Shame he turned out to be a vindictive homo/transphobic shit gibbon.
There's unexpected, different and/or weird songs just about every year though.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny how the eurovision became a yearly tradition for me and my friends. For 9 years now, we get together and get shitfaced and have a good time.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Shame he turned out to be a vindictive homo/transphobic shit gibbon.
There's unexpected, different and/or weird songs just about every year though.
He did? Not surprised, but still.. Damn. Kinda ruins the dumbass but fun song.

And yeah there is always quirky stuff, but I would like... More. I want that ballad stuff to become exceedingly rare.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He did? Not surprised, but still.. Damn. Kinda ruins the dumbass but fun song.

And yeah there is always quirky stuff, but I would like... More. I want that ballad stuff to become exceedingly rare.

Yep.
https://diepresse.com/home/kultur/popco/3801135/Song-Contest_Alf-Poier-wettert-gegen-Wurst
(Article in German)

Apparently he later insincerely apologized, but it is something that happened.

Eurovision in the late 2000s was where ballads were rare and wacky shit was really popular, especially the stretch between like 2006 and 2011 or so.
But ballads and pop songs will never fully go away. Eurovision is not the show to expect that kind of thing of, either.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
If you live in NYC you may have heard this

That is Kate Miller-Heidke the Australian entrant. She had a #1 album here called 'curiouser' which was awesome, played coachella during that time. Here is a single from that

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants some pre-hype, Eureddision has been going on reddit for the past couple of weeks.

Iceland sent another song from the same band that's at Eurovision. It's...an experience.