• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
It's less about Brexit and more about the UK sending really bad songs and singers. Seriously, the UK has one of the best music industries in the world and this is what they send each year? That's deliberate self-sabotage. ;)
Similarly look at Germany, the memes say everyone hates Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest and it got in fact zero points from the public this year (even worse than the UK's 3 points), but when Germany actually sends a good entry, like Lena or the guy last year, they actually can reach first place or fourth place.

Yep. Brexit just feels like the current excuse. Before Brexit it was the Iraq War, even though it wasn't fresh in anyone's memory by the time Brexit happened. Also, if it is just anti-UK sentiment, why do our Eurovision songs tank in the UK charts too? The last song to crack the top 20 was Blue's 2011 entry, with most entries since then falling outside of the top 50. In the same period, five Eurovision winners cracked the top 20, and two in the top 10. If the home market isn't interested in the songs we are sending, why should anyone else be?

As long as we keep sending bland songs that seem specifically designed as Eurovision entries, or are Melodifestivalen cast offs, with boring staging, we're going to do badly.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I found it weird that the Greece/Cyprus thing got booed but not the high scores that Sweden got from all the other Nordic countries (12 from Finland, Denmark and Iceland and 8 from Norway).

I always find it really amusing here as Swedes moan about the voting between Eastern European countries but have some kind of cognitive dissonance when it comes to inter Nordic voting.

For the record, Sweden gave 12 to Norway, 8 to Iceland and 7 to Denmark.
Yeah Scandinavian bloc voting is way, way worse than the 12 points between Cyprus and Greece. They're the only ones still voting like the 2000 Balkans.
Someone on Reddit did the math and figured out that the Nordics + Baltics bloc was far and away the strongest in the history of the contest, much much more powerful than the ex-Yugoslavian countries or ex-Soviet Republics and Russia. People in western/central europe tend not to perceive it as being a bloc because in their mind the region typically sends quality, so it doesn't count.

- Songs I wish made it to the final:
Portugal - No idea what that performance actually was, but I vibed hard with it.
Hungary - Just a great song.
Poland - I just love unique stuff and this one stood out to me.
This is taste!

Oct 26, 2017
Has Madonna commented on yesterday's performance yet? My ears hurt just thinking about it!
She wouldn't last ten seconds on any reality talent show with that "singing".

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Like usually in recent years some basic gig wins for being "real music" or whatever. I just wish the voters would finally fully embrace the campiness of this contest.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyway, to anyone similarly disappointed, I invite you to think back to the Eurovision Dark Ages. I mean consider the top 3 in 2003:

This must've been about the worst year ever, right?

Honestly I think the top 3 in 2003 were all good. Sertab Erener still is one of my favourite winners of the past 20 years, Sanomi is easily one of Belgium's best entries ever, and tatu were like, back in a time when Russia wasn't the dictatorial hegemony it is nowadays. It's not a super great song, but not terrible either.
There's much worse years and winners than 2003, to be quite honest.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Always funny to think back a few years and look at some songs you liked that come to mind first.

Quite liked this entry from Finland which got last but the live performance wasn't great

And from the same year also didn't place high but was really catchy

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
(Scarily) extensive research has concluded on the real way to score highly in Eurovision:

It's a surprisingly extensive thread that goes far deeper than those core points.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Norway were fantastic. Straight onto the Spotify playlist, absolutely love fun songs like that. Bring back Latvia's Wolves of The Sea!

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Man, Slovenia's song doesn't get out my mind. I love it a lot, and I think this Duo will be on my watchlist to check all their other songs. I really hope that this Duo is not disappointed by their results (although 13th rank not too bad ist).

And from the same year also didn't place high but was really catchy

Hahaha I'm not alone! Balkan Girls was and is one of my all time favourites and I still listen to it time to time.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
The most uncontroversial win in ages and still people are salty. Do yall even listen to music?

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Man, Slovenia's song doesn't get out my mind. I love it a lot, and I think this Duo will be on my watchlist to check all their other songs. I really hope that this Duo is not disappointed by their results (although 13th rank not too bad ist).
Their other stuff is very similar to Sebi and definitely worth checking out if you liked it:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Listening back to the whole Eurovision list on Spotify, a couple of things become even more apparent.

• Production quality really improved a lot over the years. Even the smaller countries' songs generally have rich soundscapes and are mixed very well.
  • There are almost no stinkers, the worst ones are just more bland. Inoffensive background music. That also bespeaks less flanderization, because there's almost no gimmicky shit.
  • Although Norway's song is eminently danceable (much like that other spirit in the sky), the joikoing is definitely very gimmicky, it would have been better without that interlude. Iceland's song actually has a really great bassline, but should have toned down the grunting too.
  • The only one who really got done dirty was Australia. I guess I got distracted by the poleswinging too much, because the song itself is super unique. I can see now why they gave it such a lavish show because they probably felt they had a winner on their hands. But listening to it better, the staging probably hurt it because you just notice the swaying and the queen of the night aria from die Zauberflote without noticing the actual song.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holland used to think this was a corrupted show as well. And while bloc voting certainly is a thing I don't think this is as much the case as we sometimes thought. Our songs were simply shit for a good few years, or decades even (you should look up terrible shit like Treble or Sieneke). Since our music industry changed it up, by sending actual talented performers and writers behind the songs, we fare much better with a few top 10's, a second place and now a win.

England simply sends consistently shit songs, like we used to do. Brexit is only recently, yet England has been shit for ages now.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same, I really liked it and it was the first time I wanted to send an SMS to vote for a song.

Their other stuff is very similar to Sebi and definitely worth checking out if you liked it:

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed it !
Hope they do more, it brings back memories of when I was into Russian music almost a decade ago.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
So after a second viewing, I don't have anything to add to my last post here. Well, other than the new Nana Banana song from last years winner actually being a banger. I was a bit distracted by the performance the first time, but that song on its own actually slaps.

I think I'll grab the album this time around, this year actually had a bunch of nice songs.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
EBU issues statement on Eurovision 2019 Grand Final jury result

The Belarusian jury was dismissed following the reveal of their votes from the first Semi-Final which is contrary to the rules of the Eurovision Song Contest. In order to comply with the Contest's voting regulations, the EBU worked with its voting partner digame to create a substitute aggregated result (calculated based on the results of other countries with similar voting records), which was approved by voting monitor Ernst & Young, to determine the Belarusian jury votes for the Grand Final."

"The EBU can confirm, following standard review practices, we have discovered that due to a human error an incorrect aggregated result was used. This had no impact on the calculation of points derived from televoting across the 41 participating countries and the overall winner and Top 4 songs of the Contest remain unchanged.

The corrected result
  1. Netherlands (498 points)
  2. Italy (472 points)
  3. Russia (370 points)
  4. Switzerland (364 points)
  5. Sweden (334 points)
  6. Norway (331 points)
  7. North Macedonia (305 points)
  8. Azerbaijan (302 points)
  9. Australia (284 points)
  10. Iceland (232 points)
  11. Czech Republic (157 points)
  12. Denmark (120 points)
  13. Cyprus (109 points)
  14. Malta (107 points)
  15. Slovenia (105 points)
  16. France (105 points)
  17. Albania (90 points)
  18. Serbia (89 points)
  19. San Marino (77 points)
  20. Estonia (76 points)
  21. Greece (74 points)
  22. Spain (54 points)
  23. Israel (35 points)
  24. Belarus (31 points)
  25. Germany (24 points)
  26. United Kingdom (11 points)
RIP Eight Belarusian jury points for Germany :P

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
absolutely nasty to do that to Norway when they had actually bested Sweden for once

also they just published a video on their official channel of the top 10 with the old results so I'm considering that official!

edit: also worth pointing out that North Macedonia now officially won the jury vote, not Sweden.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked out the Polish song again. I unironically like it and think it's a shame they didn't go to the final.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine getting 0 points from the televote, getting your score reduced with 25% ... And still not finishing in last place.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
How the hell did this safe moist as dude Netherlands win with that safe moist as song. That top 5? 'Scust.

Australia and Norway were the only ones bringing the camp to the party. Robberies were committed!

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did this safe moist as dude Netherlands win with that safe moist as song. That top 5? 'Scust.

Australia and Norway were the only ones bringing the camp to the party. Robberies were committed!
Finally watched it yesterday. Same feeling on the winner.

North Macedonia getting 58 points from the televote is some BULLSHIT.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Sennek was way better last year and didn't qualify, so Northern Macedonia shouldn't have made it to the finals.