• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure it's an evangelical thing I've heard "the things I care for are god family and country in that order" said by conservative ppl . But then again they might be evangelicals don't think so tho .

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
When I first turned 18, I voted Republican. I come from a family of conservatives. I don't consider myself a bigot then. But I got out of that bubble and listened to other perspectives and ideas. I bet a lot of members here experienced the same thing. We voted Republican because we didn't know any better, not because we're assholes.

Many evangelicals grew up in that bubble and never escaped. Those same people are too close-minded to realize everything their family and friends has been telling them their whole life is BS.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Their influence has rather abated actually. It only looks like the opposite because their one of the President's most reliable voting blocs. For the record, I'm Christian, although I'm not evangelical. Many old school evangelicals, the Moral Majority types, have recently mentioned that their movement is a failure. I personally think they're missing the gospel. And their pro-life message is rather limited to fetuses only. Not women, poor people, and the oppressed.

Forearms

Oct 25, 2017
When I first turned 18, I voted Republican. I come from a family of conservatives. I don't consider myself a bigot then. But I got out of that bubble and listened to other perspectives and ideas. I bet a lot of members here experienced the same thing. We voted Republican because we didn't know any better, not because we're assholes.

Many evangelicals grew up in that bubble and never escaped. Those same people are too close-minded to realize everything their family and friends has been telling them their whole life is BS.

That doesn't give them a pass... especially when a loved one confronts them about it, makes sound arguments against their views, and yet they stay the course because God.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't give them a pass... especially when a loved one confronts them about it, makes sound arguments against their views, and yet they stay the course because God.

It doesn't.

I just don't want this forum to demonize everyone who votes Republican. It's fine with Republican politicians and conservative news, but many voters just don't know any better.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Evangelicals are one democratic administration away from becoming American Jihadis. They're on the same path as religious extremists that plague the Muslim world, using their conveniently cherry-picked religious text to justify the subjugation of the "other" and atrocities by their own hands.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There are black evangelicals.

Want to guess how they vote?
Democrat.

Black evangelicals have concerns and issues about things like abortion, gay rights and so on like all the other evangelicals, but those are not voting issues for the 95% of them. They still vote on civil rights, union rights, and community matters and roll their eyes at stuff in the D platform that they may not be excited about.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Anyone saying evangelicals are destroying America needs to brush up on their history.

Democrat.

Black evangelicals have concerns and issues about things like abortion, gay rights and so on like all the other evangelicals, but those are not voting issues for the 95% of them. They still vote on civil rights, union rights, and community matters and roll their eyes at stuff in the D platform that they may not be excited about.

Pretty much my mother and sister. They refuse to vote republican due to the platform overall despite not being proponents of abortion.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
rRvfe1h.jpg

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Democrat.

Correct. Black Evangelicals don't vote for the GOP in any major way.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Religion as a ruse for tribalistic ideologues has always been the most dangerous threat to society. Religion is not bound by scientific rationality or material reality and facts, making it the perfect ideological vehicle to do anything an evil political faction wants to under the guise of legitimicy to its followers.
The straight truth.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Religion or politics, the power over people both exhibit attracts the worst of humanity throughout history.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I was thinking about creating a new thread after watching this video

This was on live TV. These people are grown ass adults. It's scary how they're selling the republican platform as god's wish. They are worse than snakeoil salesmen.

Fucking hilarious.

I love how she starts holding hands and all, all spiritual and reverent and then is like "oh fuck nah, gotta get theatrical, fuck your hands"

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
All you have to do is look at the history of the American Evangelical movement and where it came from to know what's going on there. It really started to pollute politics in the 70s with Jerry Falwell's group and their "Pro-Life" crusade post Roe v Wade which was used as a lightning rod to get people whipped into a frenzy.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. If they were against abortion but also for gun control and for universal health care they would at least be congruent and consistent and I could respect that. They're not.

They're not pro life. They're just anti abortion.

For what it's worth, "evangelicals" outside America are exactly that. Including myself and pretty much every other Christian I've spoken to. Gun toting, healthcare hating evangelicals are again, a uniquely American phenomenon.