• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Over 6500 people are currently fighting over a Keepstar in EVE online. This is the biggest number of pilots in one system ever and the biggest fight pretty much ever.
You can view the fight along with commentary at the following link. If you want to ask questions about whats going on I will try to answer. (I am in the system and shooting the keepstar).

Oct 27, 2017
Who is "winning"?

Are there multiple factions/clans involved? Are some allied with others? I see two groups (red/blue) but I presume there are more.

Last edited:

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Does this have to do with that guy that got fired and swore revenge on his previously employer that was posted about a couple weeks ago?

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
EVE's really one of these games that's amazing to read about with battles like this, but watching it feels so disjointed from whats actually happening.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
ah... eve. Love the articles I read about this game. As far as the game itself?

what I expect:
f601ef3607c2088b4695616bb65ad8a8.gif

what I see:
f3cd63c15586db83379870f3d50916ae.jpg

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I love hearing about these. Do the two factions have known "leaders"? And how many people are they "in charge" of?

Also whats "Tie-die"?

OP
OP

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Update.
So far we have managed to pause the keepstars repair timer and we are hitting it with enough damage to slowly whittle down its structure. The Keep is currently at 89 percent structure.
This is a very important keepstar for TEST and friends as they are the ones invading goon space and trying to kick them out of the game. This keep would give them a foothold into goon space. They tried to drop a keep yesterday but we managed to kill it but becasue they held the field the dropped this one and so we need to try and kill it.
The reason for this whole massive mega war is long and complex. Just enjoy the fireworks.

OP
OP

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
I believe "Ti-Di" refers to time dilation, in which the game slows time to accommodate thousands of synchronous players.
Correct the server slows down to 10 percent normal speed to try and cope with the amount of information comings its way.
One day in far future we will have big fights like this at full speed. That will be epic.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
game is running at 2fps, have these developers even heard of optimization?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
EVE stuff is always so cool to hear about, but completely incomprehensible to someone who has never played it, like me. All the lingo and mechanics just feel like they come from another planet.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
EVE is always a fascinating corner of gaming with these stories and how much money is spent/lost in these battles.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Watching the Twitch feed - "Yup, thats a lot of triangles clustered around something."

I love to read the stories of these battles after they're over, but while the battle is going on, it doesn't seem that engaging unless you're participating.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Over 6500 people are currently fighting over a Keepstar in EVE online. This is the biggest number of pilots in one system ever and the biggest fight pretty much ever.
You can view the fight along with commentary at the following link. If you want to ask questions about whats going on I will try to answer. (I am in the system and shooting the keepstar).

Like with all things EVE Online, I have a million of questions. Probably starting with "what's a Keepstar?", but the wiki has me covered!

Citadels are Upwell Structures [huge player-made structures] meant to be used as operation bases. They receive bonuses to combat rig effectiveness, market service fuel usage and cloning bay fuel usage. Citadels also have the shortest vulnerability duration's and strongest combat options making them easier to defend.

The three citadels are Astrahus (medium), Fortizar (large) and Keepstar (extra large). They have exactly same structure bonuses so the difference is only how much things they can have fitted and how much of a status symbol they are.

Keepstar.jpg

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I got pretty deep into EVE for about a month and then just couldn't figure out what to do other than keeping my skill learning queue up to date, it certainly is the most fascinating MMO though, I always consider jumping back in when these battles happen.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Man, there is no game I miss more than EVE. What a unique experience that you really can't get anywhere else. I simply do not have the time to dedicate to the game these days.

Used to roll with a low/null-sec pirate crew for a couple years. We eventually got folded into some bigger alliances and I bounced. Came back to the game after a little break and went and lived permanently in WH space with a small crew. That was a lot of fun, but real life called and I left again. My pod is floating somewhere in the void.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Played for around a year a while back and still love reading about it. Always wish that these sort of massive events were more exciting to watch though...the load on the sever is always insane and the game just updates at a crawl. It is understandable why it happens but also makes the stories better than watching a fight.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So basically a faction is trying to set a foothold into another smaller factions territory with a keepstar, and the smaller faction has to destroy each keepstar they deploy before its set up. Right?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like with all things EVE Online, I have a million of questions. Probably starting with "what's a Keepstar?", but the wiki has me covered!

Citadels are Upwell Structures [huge player-made structures] meant to be used as operation bases. They receive bonuses to combat rig effectiveness, market service fuel usage and cloning bay fuel usage. Citadels also have the shortest vulnerability duration's and strongest combat options making them easier to defend.

The three citadels are Astrahus (medium), Fortizar (large) and Keepstar (extra large). They have exactly same structure bonuses so the difference is only how much things they can have fitted and how much of a status symbol they are.

Keepstar.jpg

9:40 to get an idea of the sheer size of this lad

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
game is running at 2fps, have these developers even heard of optimization?

I guess there is only so much you can optimize quadratic interactions. 6000+ players, each interacting with the other 6000+, means around 40 million player-to-player interactions going on simultaneously. For reference, a 100 player battle royale game would be around 10 thousand simultaneous player-to-player interactions.

OP
OP

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
So basically a faction is trying to set a foothold into another smaller factions territory with a keepstar, and the smaller faction has to destroy each keepstar they deploy before its set up. Right?
Massively simplified yes but Goons/ The imperium are a very powerful alliance with tens of thousands of players. Just happens that pretty much every other alliance in the game have decided to attack their space. So they are heavily outnumbered. But it will be staggeringly difficult to remove the goons from the space they own.

OP
OP

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
At current rate this Keep will take roughly another 4-5 hours to die. If it dies that is.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looking forward to never getting involved and reading the really cool article about it that I barely understand on Kotaku later.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I've been playing the hell out of Eve Echos since it launched on mobile back on 8/13/20 and its everything as engaging as the PC original.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah... eve. Love the articles I read about this game. As far as the game itself?

what I expect:
f601ef3607c2088b4695616bb65ad8a8.gif

what I see:
f3cd63c15586db83379870f3d50916ae.jpg
In a way, its realistic like that.

Star Wars and other space combat games is just stylized naval combat in space.

Realistically, any armed conflict in space would be people in a control room clicking shit and running numbers.

OP
OP

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Well, we finally managed to kill it...after 14 hours of battle. There were a few times when the online timer started again but we managed to pause it and at around 6.30 this morning it exploded and much joy was had on our side. The enemy even managed to lose a titan or two.
So how did we kill it even though we were outnumbered 3-1? Tactics won the day.
At the start of the fight my alliance decided to keep damaging the keepstar using simple battleships called Ravens. Ravens are able to hit things from a very long range and this makes them excellent for applying constant pressure onto structures. Before the fight even began our side had prepared a massive amount of warp in points around the Keepstar. You would select a random point, warp in, and fire.
The enemy had brought much bigger capital class ships as well as several other smaller ship fleets. They didn't quite expected us to be where we were in a giant ball around the Keepstar and so they had to reposition ships etc and this gave us time to constantly keep repositioning our ships while keeping up the fire.
This worked very well at the start but the enemy adapted to it and spread their forces out as well. This meant that a lot of us Raven pilots were dying and then having to reship and get back into system.
Goons meanwhile started to bridge in fleets as well so any shortfall in my allaince was made up for by their fleets. It was a bloody and slow battle but in the end through a combination of tactics and sheer bloody mindedness we got the win.