• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Have we reached the Deep Blue/Watson point of SF CPU opponents?
I mean except for in strategy games AI in videogames only don't beat every human because developers don't want to. They have instant reaction time, they can execute every combo they want when they want and punish you every single time there is a single frame to punish you. That's not hard to code. It's like in FPS games, the AI only misses shots because it's programed to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
It can and does read your inputs and executes the optimal response based on distance. It can single hit confirm anything. Anyone trying to play a legitimate match rather than exploiting holes in the AI will have some trouble regardless of skill.

edit: also what Mukrab said. There was nothing stopping devs before from making a CPU opponent behave this way other than regard for the player's feelings.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean except for in strategy games AI in videogames only don't beat every human because developers don't want to. They have instant reaction time, they can execute every combo they want when they want and punish you every single time there is a single frame to punish you. That's not hard to code. It's like in FPS games, the AI only misses shots because it's programed to do so.

Sure but it still has learnable, exploitable patterns. And what's changed now to make them decide to make one this hard if it's still the same old kind of coding?

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
It can and does read your inputs and executes the optimal response based on distance. It can single hit confirm anything. Anyone trying to play a legitimate match rather than exploiting holes in the AI will have some trouble regardless of skill.

edit: also what Mukrab said. There was nothing stopping devs before from making a CPU opponent behave this way other than regard for the player's feelings.
I remember the arcade version of Mortal Kombat II would do the same thing. As soon as you jumped an inch off the ground, Liu Kang would insta-jump and fireball you back to the ground. Cheating A.I. doesn't feel like a real match vs. a person at all.

Oct 25, 2017
The upside to this brutally unfair AI is that you might be able to learn some useful stuff through observation and imitation.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Sure but it still has learnable, exploitable patterns. And what's changed now to make them decide to make one this hard if it's still the same old kind of coding?
It doesn't have to be that complex. It doesn't need to be smarter than a human in those types of games when their reaction time is essentially zero. They don't need to know tactics really. You touched the pixel where it can hit you for a single frame? That's all it needs to hit you with the biggest combo possible from that opening. The AI could probably easily do only perfects if the devs wanted to. They can block everything and they could program it just to punish you after a block.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Its easy to make an Ai play perfect, but what people don't realize is that these level 8 cpus are also predicting what you'll do next and acting pre-emptively to counter it.

Add in the ability for it to make mistakes and suddenly it feels like you're fighting against something that is just difficult rather than something that is cheating you.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the arcade version of Mortal Kombat II would do the same thing. As soon as you jumped an inch off the ground, Liu Kang would insta-jump and fireball you back to the ground. Cheating A.I. doesn't feel like a real match vs. a person at all.

MVG I believe did a video a while back showing how one of the MK games had outright cheats programmed into it after a certain point on the arcade ladder mode thing to make it unbelievably hard. When I say outright cheats I'm talking about actually doing stuff that's impossible and clipping through your character attacks to counter yours and shit.

Still back then it was probably more of a "make them put more money in" reason for it. It'll be interesting to see if/how long it takes for pros to be just blitzing these cpu fights.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Those patterns are programmed in. The bots are programmed to be dumb, not to be smart. This difficulty level simply has less dumbing down.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that's how coin op fighting games work since the 90s

They need to adopt Shadow Lab to actually teach players rather than frustrate them

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
It's easy to make AI that beats people at video games, they literally have access to the exact state of the game on a per frame basis. It's actually much more difficult to make something that behaves like a human and can lose fairly than it is to make something that will murder you.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Absolutely.

We intentionally dial back the AI on our enemies in our game, because it's just not fun to play against overly smart AI. It's a balancing act, to be sure, but I also think that's the beauty of difficulty levels. It gives us a lot of room to explore different AI configurations for enemies, and give players options. I've been enjoying the uptick in Accessibility options in games these days, and one of my favorites is how granular some games are being in regards to letting players customize their difficulty experience.

I had a blast in Control, for example, modifying my damage and Focus levels, how strong enemies are, etc, and I walked away from that game with a super positive impression of it. In contrast, I love Kena: Bridge of Spirits (had to get that out there first LOL), but the final "gauntlet" at the end really soured what was, by and large, and fucking excellent experience and game. If there were a few Accessibility options that allowed me to tweak a few parameters, I don't think I'd have been so angry by the time I finally beat the final boss. I didn't have that From Software like, "Fuck yeah, I conquered that mountain!" Instead, I was like, "Thank fuck that's over! Great game, but I do not want to play that section ever again." Although, to be fair, there are some bosses in From's games that fill me with that anger too lol

Point is, enemy AI/Challenge is a fine line to walk, and it really wouldn't be terribly hard for devs to code in more realistic and challenging AI. The problem is, it's usually just not very fun for the vast majority of gamers (there will always be some that enjoy a higher challenge, of course).

Seeing Daigo struggle in this video was really charming and entertaining. I don't think I've ever seen him that animated in the few older clips of his I've seen. He was clearly having a good time. The "This guy is cheating!" cracked me up so much. I think almost every gamer has uttered that at least once lol

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Max's video with him fighting level 8 Ryu and he made some interesting points. The way the CPU plays doesn't directly help you become a better player against humans because things like zoning and footsies just don't work against it. It helps you by showing you what's possible, you can learn what combos work and how to string all of that together.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't show good AI.

It does show how dope the mechanics of this game are when the AI, who has perfect execution and access to ridiculous algorithms for decision making, is constantly showing us different variations of combos. It shoes us the decision making that players will have access to will make for an amazingly entertaining and deep game that has so many different permutations of choice, that even an AI playing optimally is always making different choices.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
WHen i try to parry, CPU throw me.

But yeah, CPU also kinda weak to neutral jump then 2HK

Cpu do be cooking some delicious looking combos. Definitely stealing that

Not to take anything away from the guy but is Daigo still as good as he used to be?
Top 8 in evo last year (he's not competing in evo jp this year though, too busy streaming elden ring and fans meetup)

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
so level 8 is basically letting the AI run wild with Hitbox style shit...

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Street Fighter AI, the highest difficulty in Ultra SFIV isn't that hard, right? It's not just me? Then again, I've been playing that game regularly for about a decade now, so maybe I just got used to it.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I'm morbidly curious to see how Arcade Mode AI behaves in the hardest difficulty lmao

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Speaking of Street Fighter AI, the highest difficulty in Ultra SFIV isn't that hard, right? It's not just me? Then again, I've been playing that game regularly for about a decade now, so maybe I just got used to it.
You got used to it, Round 2 Seth is a input reading command grabbing menace and the super bosses are a struggle to get to and handle the fight.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Dealing with high level AI requires a different mindset than dealing with a live opponent. Once you can make the shift, it's no big deal and exploitable.