• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I realized this isn't at all that new of a thing, but it seems like recently it's become much more available, especially using a website to order.

Well, we used Sprouts, and they deliver thru amazon prime, so it was free. Many of the items seemed like the same price they are in store which was good. It seemed like there are no sales like you'd find in a grocery store, just the default prices

The suggested tip was $9 but i think it was estimating based on a 10% tip. we didn't feel like a $9 tip was really reasonable so we tipped $5. if you think that was a bad call don't hesitate to say so.

We ordered kinda late (7 something) since we were jam packed with other stuff this weekend. It took us maybe 40 mins to sift through the entire shopping site and pick out groceries, but there is an order again function so i think it would usually take a lot less time. It takes 15-20 mins to get to sprouts each way, and we usually spend 45+ mins grocery shopping, like a few weeks ago we got some stuff at walmart and stuff there and spent literally ages. So this was a time saver and i suspect it will be more of one when we do a reorder. Protein selection was kind of limited, and the Sprouts location we go to doesn't have the widest protein selection to begin with.

It seemed like most everything we were looking for was available. A few items they contacted us to suggest replacements when they were out, 2/3 of those we went w/ the replacements.

Driver was friendly, showed up at 9:40 PM or so (he was slated for 8-10 window last night) and helped with the bags. The groceries looked good, for the most part. Eggs weren't cracked. Tomatoes weren't smushed. Despite both being packed at the bottom of bags. Avocado seems a little crushed. Blueberries seem ok. Blackberries had a little mold which is gross but i notice when we carefully pick out berries opening the container in the store, like 30% of the packages have a little mold so we skip those. We couldn't figure out how to refund the blackberries but oh well.

Everything else was good. It came in aluminum bags inside brown paper bags so it was pretty cold still, even frozen stuff.

Overall 4.5/5 stars would do again and will probably save us a ton of time...

(we usually grocery shop every 2 weeks)

My biggest concern was would they pick appealing produce and they did. Definitely recommend it based on this experience. free 2 hr delivery is amazing.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes, everyone does in the UK. Well not everyone but it's very common.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, usually from Asda when I do. Prefer to get stuff from the actual shop than the website because it doesn't guarantee stuff will be in stock and while they offer substitutions, I usually prefer not to allow that as you never know what the substitutions will end up being.

Still, if I have to, I have no problem ordering online for delivery.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We still go to the store but online grocery shopping has become very popular, since about ten years ago. Possibly more popular here because we have a denser population and therefore it's more cost effective?

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting my groceries delivered for years. It's a bit more expensive than going to the store directly, but I find the lack of hassle to be worth the extra cost.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used Prime Pantry to deliver cabinet-style stuff like spices, canned goods, etc. That was a very good experience. They pack it very well. And that stuff is nice just to keep stocked in your kitchen because it's not worth it to go to the store just to pick up some cheap item you're missing that makes the dish (tomato paste or cornstarch lol). I haven't tried fresh grocery deliveries yet.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Usually.

I work 60 hour weeks and never have time or patience to go the store. I order everything either via Peapod or Amazon and it always works out really well. One of my favorite services to utilize tbqh.

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the suburbs and it's very easy and convenient for me to drive a few blocks and buy my own groceries. I like picking out my own produce and I always remember things I need when I'm there and see them in person. Groceries are already expensive enough without a delivery fee and tip. Maybe I'll try it someday but I have never felt the need.

I've also never used Postmates style delivery of food, for the same reasons.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I did once because I had a free delivery and $20 credit coupon, so I ordered like 30 bucks of stuff. It was okay, but would have been wildly expensive for me to use regularly. That was about 4 years ago. I just got a coupon in the mail for a service that just started off around here for $50 off a $100+ order. I plan on using it since that's a hell of a deal, and I usually spend 150-200 per grocery outing anyway. They also have pre-made meals and stuff they offer too, so I'm interested to see how it goes.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live less than 100 meters from the nearest grocery store, so that would seem just a tiny bit silly/lazy.

If I had a significant walk/commute to get there I would consider it.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I recently moved out of NYC to the suburbs and haven't gotten a car yet, so we're ordering a lot of things in.

I've used Peapod and it's been pretty great so far. Delivery fees have been $8-10 on a $100 bill, so not bad there. I've only left tips of $1-2 because of the delivery fee. Feel like that's where those guys get paid.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I did it for awhile but I got sick of crushed food items and low quality selected produce. I'm back to shopping for 1 or 2 days with the freshest ingredients available.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
In NYC we used Fresh Direct for a little bit. They always shipped from refrigerated trucks so no problems with cold things. Price-wise everything was marginally cheaper than going to the closest grocery, but you'd also have to buy enough to at least offset the delivery cost (which was $6 at the time). Convenience was nice but I prefer shopping for veggies/meat the day I'm going to use it. For other things like canned goods or cooking supplies (for example Pam or oil) we've used Target/Walmar/Jet online with no complaints.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
We started doing amazon fresh. It's good for the most part, I just hate how they put up such a fuss when you want to add non produce things like olive oil or tooth paste or seasonings in with the order. They've been really good about picking good produce though. I get apples and grapes through them and they're usually really good quality

Anything to keep me out of our local Market Basket that has every single aisle clogged up with glazed eyed people who seem perplexed about what they want to buy. It's like an episode of hte walking dead everytime I go in there.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
yeah some local stores do this and I have tried it but I am far too picky about certain foods to be okay with these services picking them for me. For packaged stuff it works just fine. But fruits, veggies, dairy, bakery, deli/meat counter (which is a good chunk of my grocery cart) I would just prefer picking stuff myself so it isn't generally worth it to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only used Amazon Prime for dry goods, and only on items where the price is the same or lower than the grocery store I go to. I'm not really interested in fresh food delivery because I'd rather get it myself and the prices are better in my grocery store, especially when stuff is on sale. I also like grocery shopping as well, albeit I usually go when I know there won't be that many other shoppers around.

catberry

Oct 31, 2017
London
Hell yes, everyone does in the UK. Well not everyone but it's very common.

Fellow BritGaf here, I concur. I have mine from Amazon Fresh every week.

I don't know about America, but shouldn't the fact that everything is so far away be an even greater motivator to have it delivered? You're saving way more time than us Europeans would. And gas money.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My problem with groceries delivery is that I pick up a ton a crap i don't actually need. Bacon? Sure, I might eat it once a month, why not get a 4 packs?
So when I noticed that, I stopped ordering online and made sure that if I'm eating stuff, it's something I brought myself (by walking, no calling uber to Safeway) from the store in a bag. Helped me save money and lose some weight.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Yes... I have basic things like milk, cereal, snacks, soda delivered. Fruit, meat, prodce I go to the market and butcher.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about America, but shouldn't the fact that everything is so far away be an even greater motivator to have it delivered? You're saving way more time than us Europeans would. And gas money.

I can't think of a time where I left the house specifically to only go grocery shopping. It is usually a combination trip with some other errand or reason to be driving around...for us at least. Examples
  • Get groceries on the way home from work (already driving and drive right by the place on the way home)
  • Kids have sports practice. Drop them off, go pick up groceries, pick up kids after practice
  • Out at a restaurant or movie or general shopping or something and pick up groceries on the way home

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I get them delivered when I have a lot of things that I need to get, because the nearest decently sized supermarket is kind far. If I just have a few things that I need to get, like max 3 shopping bags-worth, then I just pick it up at the small supermarket nearby

catberry

Oct 31, 2017
London
I can't think of a time where I left the house specifically to only go grocery shopping. It is usually a combination trip with some other errand or reason to be driving around...for us at least. Examples
  • Get groceries on the way home from work (already driving and drive right by the place on the way home)
  • Kids have sports practice. Drop them off, go pick up groceries, pick up kids after practice
  • Out at a restaurant or movie or general shopping or something and pick up groceries on the way home

It would still save time tho. I mean, in theory, I can pick up groceries on my way back home from work, but I'd much rather just go straight home, put my legs up, watch some netflix and have the food delivered.

But for me personally the reason I decided to go full online grocery shopping is because I have more choice online. I live quite central in a big city, so all the supermarkets around are quite small, express versions and lack the variety.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
I've become wholly dependent on delivery. Disclaimer: I work on a system that does this, including the case in the OP.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I do it once in a while. It's a bit expensive over here but well worth it.
Never had a problem with anything missing and the fresh products that they pick for me are always better than what I find in the actual store, lol.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
It would still save time tho. I mean, in theory, I can pick up groceries on my way back home from work, but I'd much rather just go straight home, put my legs up, watch some netflix and have the food delivered.

But for me personally the reason I decided to go full online grocery shopping is because I have more choice online. I live quite central in a big city, so all the supermarkets around are quite small, express versions and lack the variety.

Yeah it would be faster. And I definitely see your perspective. But like I said earlier in the thread, the quality provided for produce, bakery, dairy expiration dates, meat counter items, etc. makes the time just not a benefit to us for most of our grocery purchases. I could see myself using it if 80% of our purchases were pre-packaged but it is pretty much the opposite where we buy only about 20% pre-packaged items.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's convenient. Getting fruit and veg from them hasn't worked out too well - they choose short dated stuff and it might be the shitty stuff (it'll probably be the shitty stuff).

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Yep – as empty nesters we only buy for us, ordering and having them delivered saves us money (and our health) in the long run - no chance to impulse shop, which has always been a problem.

catberry

Oct 31, 2017
London
Yeah it would be faster. And I definitely see your perspective. But like I said earlier in the thread, the quality provided for produce, bakery, dairy expiration dates, meat counter items, etc. makes the time just not a benefit to us for most of our grocery purchases. I could see myself using it if 80% of our purchases were pre-packaged but it is pretty much the opposite where we buy only about 20% pre-packaged items.
hmmmm Amazon Fresh here delivers from local butchers and markets. It's pretty much fresher than if I go to the store, as I'd have to go to like 10 different stores to get that stuff. I thought that was the case in the US as well as we basically got Amazon Fresh a lot later than you guys did. You'd think they follow the same service.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
hmmmm Amazon Fresh here delivers from local butchers and markets. It's pretty much fresher than if I go to the store, as I'd have to go to like 10 different stores to get that stuff. I thought that was the case in the US as well as we basically got Amazon Fresh a lot later than you guys did. You'd think they follow the same service.

Amazon Fresh is not available in my city so I cannot comment on it. But we have some big chain grocery stores that offer similar service to that that I have tried and not been happy with. (Fresh is far from readily available unless you live on the East or West coast or big city like Chicago or Dallas or something). Also the main grocery chain I go to (Meijer) is huge...much like a Walmart or something similar. It has groceries, clothes, electronics, toys, automotive, etc. etc. Definitely no need for multiple stores

Oct 27, 2017

I go to one grocery store to get just about everything. Produce, butcher, bakery, dairy, eggs, frozen food, packaged processed stuff, everything. The grocery store I go to (Fred Meyer) also has clothes, furniture, plants, kitchen appliances, shoes, electronics....

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've had Amazon Now bring groceries but only really when we're in a pinch and didn't get to the store. Like maybe we're out of town one weekend so on the drive home we'll get milk and bread and whatever staples we might need delivered on Sunday night.

One big thing popping up here is you basically get online, pick out all your groceries and then the store just texts you when it's all ready. Drive by and pull up to a separate door and they come out with your stuff and even load it in your car. Costs $5 flat fee and no tip which is basically what you'd spend on impulse buys if you're anything like us when we go grocery shopping.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
In the UK it's very common to have them delivered. I've used the service with most of the big supermarkets but in the last few years I've gone back to picking them up myself as I'm only buying food for myself.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I've used Amazon Fresh a few times, but only for the coupons I've received. I prefer shopping at Trader Joe's, so 1) doing it myself is not at all a painful experience and 2) the online services don't have the products I want.

Also, a number of these services (InstaCart) are really exploitative of their workers (see https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ke-over-pay-that-can-be-as-low-as-1-per-hour/ ).

That's crazy, really disturbing to read. Thanks for sharing.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my fiancee and I do it pretty frequently. HEB (a Texas-only grocery store chain) has Instacart, which I believe some other grocery stores have. You use the app and put in your list and they bring it to you. It's very nice when we get back from out of a town on a Sunday and just don't feel like going to the grocery store.

I imagine we'll use Amazon Prime Now for it too once Whole Foods gets integrated into it. We do use Amazon Prime Now for other stuff pretty frequently.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife delivers for shipt as a side gig, lol. Pay is shit and it wears on our cars and drains our gas, but she likes it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's been quite common in the UK for over a decade. I used it when I was a student and the nearest supermarket was a 30 minute walk away. It was great; you pay a few pounds more and sometimes stuff gets substituted, but if you're not a fussy or particular person it generally works out fine (you can refuse the substitutions and if it's a more expensive item they don't charge you the extra).

The idea of a tip is ridiculous to me, but that's the different culture I guess. I can imagine it'd be an amazing time saver if you've got a busy life or a family, but at present I live a 3 minute walk from a Tesco and do a big shop at Lidl like once every 2 weeks so there's not much point using delivery.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Never done this but considering how much I hate going to the grocery store (no car), maybe we should consider it.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
I've done it twice; once because I had a coupon and once because it was the best way to grab groceries before a storm hit. I had a positive experience, but it's not really a service I need to use regularly. There are a lot of grocery stores near me, and buying my own groceries isn't usually a big timesink. If I lived in a more rural area, I'd probably want to order groceries all the time!