• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talks about that 90's animated cartoon but when I was growing up, I remember the series that came after that called X-men evolution. I haven't seen it in a long time and was wondering if it's worth watching. The only things I remember was having a crush on some of the characters like Kitty and Storm.
MV5BOWMyMThhN2UtMGMzYi00ODVmLWFlODItYmZlMzMxYzE3MmZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTgwMzk1MTA@._V1_UY1200_CR93,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I loved the 90's series and I thought this one was even better.
...that was back when it was airing though, no idea how well it holds up, but I liked a lot of the characterizations.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
It still holds up, especially the last two seasons when they fully commit to the X-Men premise.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen an ep or two.

Mostly I remember everyone was hotter and edgier in it.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I liked it. I was my X-Men growing up so it was hard for me to see the X-Men as adults honestly. Season 1-2 are kinda slow but enjoyable but seasons 3-4 are when it really picks up. The theme song was dope and also it introduced this awesome character:

X23master.jpg

Which was a GREAT thing. One thing that most people would like is that the show didn't shill Wolverine and give him too much screen time at the expense of others or make him a jerk who got away with everything. It even cut out the Jean-Cyclops-Wolverine triangle (Thank God).

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
It is also basically the only x-men media that has the x-men team and is not focused on wolverine.
It was followed by a cartoon called "wolverine and the x-men"

THIS tells me all i need to know about this show xD

Had it gotten a fifth season, there would probably have been a focus on X-23, because she was created to satisfy a network mandate for more Wolverine screen time without abandoning their premise of focusing on the teen characters.

The thing that makes X-Men Evolution great is that it's a lot more character focused than the other two series. It doesn't have as many memorable plots, but the cast gets a lot of development, and it's probably the best X-Men media at capturing the family feel of the team from the Claremont era.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I watched the re-runs when they had it on Cartoon Network and it was pretty enjoyable overall when I was in middle/high school. I might revisit it at some point on D+.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's episodic in parts but actually develops a coherent narrative with a solid through-line as it goes, as most good kids shows do.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Oh man, I ve been waiting for this.

Of special note here is the animation which I would say was the only other superhero show that could match Bruce Timm's DCAU. It is a big highlight of the show and continued the trend of diversifying animation in the 2000s.

Yeah, the high school stuff can be grating and Spike was by far the least likable character for a while (he was created because the creators refused to deage Storm), but when things hit the fan in the S2 finale it truly hits its stride. Those two episodes plus the first 6 to 7 episodes of S3 was its best run.

Wolverine was thankfully toned down, though some people would accuse him of being Worfed. But it was for the best, especially since the creators overcompensated in Wolverine in the X-Men.

I would argue that Ascension is one of the best superhero finales ever made, even comparable to Starcrossed. Funny enough, Avengers EMH tried to do the same with its finale with less success.

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
My only complaint is that the fight scenes were lame sometimes and sometimes they tried too hard with the teenage stuff (Spyke). Also there was this one episode where they treated Africa like a country so yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the best X-Men show by far. Love that they moved away from so much of the retreading that the 90s series did and actually gave us unique and fun interpretations of the characters. I loved Nightcrawler and Rogue the best.

It's funny, the New X-Men writer at the time, Grant Morrison wanted to kill comics Rogue and replace her with a teenage goth version because of this show (and the movies). His reasoning was that a girl who was unable to ever touch people without hurting them would clearly grow up more like those incarnations than the "brash, aggressive sexbomb" she was.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
It was definitely a fun show. I wish they had made a few more seasons of it.

I'm so ready for a new X-Men animated series. I'm more excited for that than their entry into the MCU.

Oct 25, 2017
It solidified Nightcrawler as my favorite X-man. Made me wish he had been more episodes of the 90s series.

Also, this happened:

a5a.png

Xavier's a fucking troll.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEraā„¢ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I will forever be convinced that the Cyclops vs Juggernaut episode had a shoutout to the Vs series when Scott ripped off his visor.

Also Colossus being forced to work with Magneto was a nice touch.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's way better then the 90s one and I'm super nostalgic for it, 90s just doesn't hold up all these years later.

90's one has a couple of good (if actually very short) story arcs and a lot of messy garbage and "buy the new action figure!" one-offs.

Evo starts kind of aimless and episodic but picks up a more or less singular driving story as it goes.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
It was great having a X-men show that dedicated a lot of time to character development and them working as a team. Season 1 has some good episodes, but season 2 is when the creators really found their footing.

Of course not to mention Evolution's version of Jean was actually useful in fights. Considering the creators nailed Apocalypse, I'm positive they would've done the Phoenix arc justice(which was only teased in the epilogue šŸ˜”).

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
It was the one Marvel show back then that I got into. I thought it was great, with a nice change to the premise of the X-Men, and some interesting changes overtime, like when the X-Men being mutants are revealed to the world.

Even got to go to a character design talk with Steven E. Gordon a few years back, and I certainly felt some nostalgia when he was talking about the show.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing show and an important part of my childhood. These will always be my X-Men