• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TWQFLYBJBJBQDBRHGFIQBANGUU.png

WaPo has reported on the annual salaries of U.S. tech workers in various towns and cities across the U.S.:

Much has been made in recent years about the exorbitant cost of living in tech meccas like San Jose and Silicon Valley and rightfully so.

The horror stories — from paying $750 a month to occupy a poltergeist-ridden attic or $400 to live inside a wooden box — are well documented and often mesmerizing.

Perhaps the only positive byproduct of the Bay Area's absurdly high living costs is that it's forcing talented techies to look elsewhere for work, sprinkling the rest of the country with intellectual seedlings that are starting to blossom. That's one of the major takeaways from a recent Business.org study comparing the salaries of tech workers in cities across the country.

San Jose and San Francisco still remain the top spots on the site's list of best-paying cities for techies in 2019, according to the business research organization. But the study reveals that smaller metro areas — cities like Provo, Utah, and Omaha, Neb., — are becoming mini tech hubs where tech workers can find salaries that are double, sometimes triple, the average salary of the state.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is that average? Median?

I used to make slightly more than the Louisville average and now I make slightly less (haven't had a raise in years). :cries:

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, I need to go into tech. 75k in KC would make me pretty damn well-off.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
And the majority of tech workers are code monkeys who will never really do anything noteworthy?

I mean, that's the majority of people period. On average, a tech worker is probably doing something more "noteworthy" than an average person, depending on how you arbitrarily define noteworthiness.

shit takes deserve shit replies

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
And the majority of tech workers are code monkeys who will never really do anything noteworthy?

as opposed to literally everyone else in the world, who spend their time at their deeply fulfilling jobs doing noteworthy things that will shape the world as we know it?

if you're laboring under the assumption that income is tied in any way to "doing something noteworthy", I uh... I have some bad news for you

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
That's quite the ignorant take bruh

I'm glad I'm wrong in this regard, thankfully. I love technology, but I always had misgivings about parts of the industry, given how common things like burnout is. Not to mention that a lot of people in the tech industry sometimes talk about how they feel they are wasting their talents when they could be working on solutions to problems they are passionate about finding solutions to.

But...the tech profession isn't the only profession that has these issues.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That map is awful. Wisconsin is colored dark blue which should be for lower salaries but Iowa is light blue with a lower salary listed.

Is that map color coded by salary or population?
Neither apparently, the colors don't line up at all with the legend. The listed salaries in places like Iowa and Idaho are lower than in Wisconsin and Indiana but Iowa and Idaho are colored light blue that should indicate they pay less

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Prolly still underpaid as fuck given how much money that industry moves.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Well-paid code monkeys who can make 6 figures in some states, apparently.

Actually, most tech workers aren't code monkeys (by which I assume you mean a more junior/inexperienced developer) and the ones who are aren't making those types of salaries to begin with.

(Also, what defines 'tech worker'? A software engineer is going to make way more than a help desk/IT person, even though they're both technically tech workers.)

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Why is it showing Birmingham, Alabama instead of Huntsville? Huntsville is the 3rd largest tech city in the U.S. Birmingham is a shit hole.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This is just salary/base? Start adding stock options, bonuses, and other nice perks and the total compensation can double someone's salary.

I wonder how future regulations will affect these numbers though. I'm enjoying things until the gravy train stops.

keysersöze

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned - Unneeded Hostility
I'm glad I'm wrong in this regard, thankfully. I love technology, but I always had misgivings about parts of the industry, given how common things like burnout is. Not to mention that a lot of people in the tech industry sometimes talk about how they feel they are wasting their talents when they could be working on solutions to problems they are passionate about finding solutions to.

But...the tech profession isn't the only profession that has these issues.

You're an idiot. Crunch does not happen in every tech job. burnout can happy in any job.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
That map is awful. Wisconsin is colored dark blue which should be for lower salaries but Iowa is light blue with a lower salary listed.

Neither apparently, the colors don't line up at all with the legend. The listed salaries in places like Iowa and Idaho are lower than in Wisconsin and Indiana but Iowa and Idaho are colored light blue that should indicate they pay less
Color indicates population, not salary. Read the legend.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This is just salary/base? Start adding stock options, bonuses, and other nice perks and the total compensation can double someone's salary.

I wonder how future regulations will affect these numbers though. I'm enjoying things until the gravy train stops.

Yup - any big tech company is gonna offer you stock and bonuses that make up at least another 33% more. Get in at a decent level at a startup and enjoy your half million dollar pay day by the time you're 29.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I definitely wouldn't describe majority of tech workers (tech being very nebulous by itself) as code monkeys, or even "pure" programmers. Not only are there lots of tech jobs of people who touch code and occasionally write it (DevOps, Data Scientists), there's also many roles where people don't touch or interface with code at all.

with that being said, there are people who work with "tech" like developers, operate in business facing IT roles (sourcing, HR), and product and or management like PMs or Scrum Masters.

Definitely not just a bunch of "code monkeys"

Oct 27, 2017
How can I get into the tech field? What sorts of jobs fall under this tech umbrella?

I've kinda been aimless in my career for a while and I live in one of those growing tech metros...I need to get in on this somehow.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can I get into the tech field? What sorts of jobs fall under this tech umbrella?

I've kinda been aimless in my career for a while and I live in one of those growing tech metros...I need to get in on this somehow.
Become a software engineer or get your MBA and intern in product management. Do well. Or if you have a knack for sales, the good account executives I know can make bank.

It's worth mentioning these averages are likely hiked up by software eng/product salaries which push up the averages of ancillary roles which are likely ~25-30% lower, ish, on average. More when you consider total compensation including equity, etc.

Also some people start in support, and make it quite far, as long as you have an ambitious personality and like to be constantly learning.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
A few real ass hot takes stinking up this thread.

Anyway, tech is where it's at, at least for me ;)

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
117k in San Jose and you are probably sleeping in one of those $1200/month sexless bunk beds

It's bad here, but it's not THAT bad. It's probably THAT bad in San Francisco though. I live in San Jose and make $81,000 (in a non-Tech job), and I live comfortably enough. Rent for a 1BR apartment is probably about $2,000 - $2,300/month in a complex that's worth a damn with all the amenities. Fortunately I rent from an old sweet couple who consider me a son, and pay $1650/month for an 800sqft 1BR unit in a nice neighborhood. They haven't raised the rent on me a cent in the three years I've been here. If you're making $117,000, then you're living pretty darn well in San Jose if you're alone - although not nearly as well as you should be given the income.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Holy shit, $90k in Colorado Springs is ballin. What the fuck am I doing in retail.

Probably civilian work on base though, right?

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
The Map for IL would be accurate probably for Chicago, but I can promise you it is far underpaid in the rural areas.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
You're an idiot. Crunch does not happen in every tech job. burnout can happy in any job.

Yeah, I noted that at the end that burnout can happen in any job, and sometimes our chosen career fields can be a slog. But I still stand by what I meant (even if it is a bit unclear. I'm going off of two hours of sleep and currently my mood is in the shitter). Personally I'm passionate about how technology has made our lives better, so I'm always interested in seeing people in the industry can accomplish more with less work.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
High key reminder that if you are someone who isn't very scholarly, you CAN make it in the tech industry without a degree and climb your way to some hella money.

That doesn't mean a degree doesn't help, just saying its not required as much as it used to be in the past decade.
Mostly if you want to get into product management, an MBA is a fast-track if you already have an undergrad degree, and product teams love to hire MBA interns. Tech company internships are well paid and often lead to a return offer if you perform well.

I kind of alluded to going from a different beginning here:
Also some people start in support, and make it quite far, as long as you have an ambitious personality and like to be constantly learning
And if you're particularly skilled at self-teaching and technically minded, it's very possible to teach yourself all kinds of very valuable skills, and learn how to become a competent software developer by actually making something people want to use (lots of resources out there).

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly if you want to get into product management, an MBA is a fast-track if you already have an undergrad degree, and product teams love to hire MBA interns. Tech company internships are well paid and often lead to a return offer if you perform well.

I kind of alluded to going from a different beginning here:

And if you're particularly skilled at self-teaching and technically minded, it's very possible to teach yourself all kinds of very valuable skills, and learn how to become a competent software developer by actually making something people want to use (lots of resources out there).

Absolutely agree. I started from the bottom and now work in incident management for a managed service provider. didn't ever think I'd get this far but I'm still fuckin going les go

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Anyway, I'm surprised that salaries for tech workers in Texas is the lowest in Austin. Why?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely agree. I started from the bottom and now work in incident management for a managed service provider. didn't ever think I'd get this far but I'm still fuckin going les go
Let's just say I work at a company that often and very closely interacts with networking MSPs :) Congrats!