• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
There are the games that sell 90% of their total sales in their first month, and there are the others :

EDIT (more details) :

+32% YoY

(341 531 --> 458 675)

800 000 copies sold LTD

~ 50-55% attach-rate, retail only.

Incredible performance that won't stop soon.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've been tempted to buy it a few times, but then I remember I already own a Wii U copy, and I can just play that.

Better to spend that $60 on something completely fresh.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's hilarious that there were people who said that MK8D won't sell on Switch because it didn't do that much on WiiU.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Never underestimate Mario Kart.

It looks like Smash Ultimate can very well join that evergreen status along with this, BOTW and Odyssey which have still not stopped selling

Also, is it in poor taste to DLC beg? C'mon. Give us some new tracks! And a new mode maybe?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
"but they need to make Mario Kart 9 cuz MK8D isn't a real Mario Kart"

I mean, I would definitely love Mario Kart 9. If Mario Kart 9 isn't released until the Switch's successor we're probably looking at almost ten years between major Mario Kart releases, which is a real bummer.

(Mario Kart 8 released in 2014, assuming a typical 5-6 year console cycle "Switch 2" will be out in 2021-2022, assuming Mario Kart drops in its third year that's 2023/2024 at the soonest.)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
At this point, I'm not sure what Yabuki's team at EPD Kyoto could be doing now. There's no need for MK9 since MK8D is still selling, & it's a bit too soon for ARMS 2. Should they do another new IP or revive an existing one like F-Zero?

Either way, these sales numbers are insane (in a good way).

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
"So, ERA, what do you want from Mario Kart 9"

love to speculate on games that won't exist for like 5 years at least

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it will do even better in 2019 with Mario Kart Tour helping to bring the series even more prominently into the mainstream spotlight

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the whole "Nintendo evergreen" factor one big thing with this game and Smash is that they are kind of perfect pick-up-and-play local multiplayer games that gel with the concept of the Switch. It's insanely easy to just pop off a joycon and hand it to a friend wherever you are to play a round of Mario Kart or a game of Smash. These are the types of games that will thrive on this console.

So this doesn't surprise me at all, and I expect between this and Smash we're going to see at least 50M pieces of software sold. If not more.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
At this point, I'm not sure what Yabuki's team at EPD Kyoto could be doing now. There's no need for MK9 since MK8D is still selling, & it's a bit too soon for ARMS 2. Should they do another new IP or revive an existing one like F-Zero?

Either way, these sales numbers are insane (in a good way).

See, for a very large group of people, Mario Kart 8 is a new game which they've only been playing for a year or so. It's still fresh for them and has a lot of content. For some of us however, it's a game we've been playing since 2014 with some additional content added in 2015 and 2017. It's coming up to being 5 years old. As someone in the latter group, I could do with some fresh content.

Whether or not that's in the form of additional DLC or a Mario Kart 9, I don't know. The game and development team are in an interesting place regarding what to do with it. Not sure what the outcome will be to be honest.

Amazing game though, definitely my favourite from the series. Really glad it's doing well (it did amazingly well on the Wii U all things considered)!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, no mk9 for another 5 years at least then. Mk8 is great, but I have played it for now close to 5 years. I can't play it anymore, I know the game literally inside and out, with my eyes closed. And dlc seems like a no go.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Goddammit. I guess this means no MK9 soon. I've been playing MK8 for over three years now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
See, for a very large group of people, Mario Kart 8 is a new game which they've only been playing for a year or so. It's still fresh for them and has a lot of content. For some of us however, it's a game we've been playing since 2014 with some additional content added in 2015 and 2017. It's coming up to being 5 years old. As someone in the latter group, I could do with some fresh content.

Whether or not that's in the form of additional DLC or a Mario Kart 9, I don't know. The game and development team are in an interesting place regarding what to do with it. Not sure what the outcome will be to be honest.

Amazing game though, definitely my favourite from the series. Really glad it's doing well (it did amazingly well on the Wii U all things considered)!
Yea, it's another spot where wii u owners get the short end. As great as the game is, you can only play it so much with no more new stuff added.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Why didn't you quote the more important Tweet?

Actual sales numbers for the whole top 20.
That's unprecedented.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically Nintendo's GTA V in the sense that the majority of new Switch owners pick up a copy of MK8D.

And yeah I remember when people on the old place were heavily underestimating MK8D and said that the majority of people already played MK8 on Wii U.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've been tempted to buy it a few times, but then I remember I already own a Wii U copy, and I can just play that.

I ended up double-dipping on this, Bayo, and Hyrule Warriors. There were lots of reasons:

- Slightly better graphics
- All DLC included
- I just love carts more than discs. I'm a cart man.
- If I'm going to play these games again, I'd MUCH rather do it on Switch than Wii U, and I don't even hate the Wii U. Something about the experience is much more enjoyable to me on Switch.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stop the Kart.

I believe Mario Kart DS still charts within the Top 500 in Japan to this day.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Goddammit. I guess this means no MK9 soon. I've been playing MK8 for over three years now.

Gonna be five years for me come May. Man, how time flies.

I ended up double-dipping on this, Bayo, and Hyrule Warriors. There were lots of reasons:

- Slightly better graphics
- All DLC included
- I just love carts more than discs. I'm a cart man.
- If I'm going to play these games again, I'd MUCH rather do it on Switch than Wii U, and I don't even hate the Wii U. Something about the experience is much more enjoyable to me on Switch.

In regards to graphics, I doubt I'd notice the difference between the two even side by side, I already bought all the DLC, and my Wii U is right next to my Switch on my TV stand, so it's not really a big deal for me to boot up one over the other.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty fucking bonkers, especially since it came out in April 2017 and not at the end of the year or something. But the only way I see it being able to take down MK Wii is with some new DLC. Just 8 more tracks and guaranteed the sales will go through the roof. I'm not expecting any to come though, and I also don't think Switch will get MK9 so I'm really curious what the team could be doing right now.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow.

I mean it was probably easy say considering it has been charting high all year + the bundle last month Vs charting for 'only' 8 months last year (albeit with its launch sales) but man it's still eye-opening really.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious that there were people who said that MK8D won't sell on Switch because it didn't do that much on WiiU.
Well that's just silly. For starters, relative to install base it sold incredible on the Wii U, over 8 million I believe, to the 13 million LTD for the Wii U itself.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
From a commercial point of view, it's really better that they won't release a Mario Kart 9 on Switch, but I hope they will release new tracks as DLC, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the only Switch game in which I played more than 100 hours (and for me it's incredibly rare, even more considering that it's basically a multiplayer games while I prefer single player games, in fact Xenoblade 2 is my second most played game on Switch) and I would love to try some new tracks online.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
An option to manually select which items are allowed to appear during races as there is in Smash would do wonders to renew my friends and I's interest in MK8. The game is fantastic, but we'd seriously like to just get the fucking lightning bolt out of the picture. It's the single thing that always screws up an otherwise perfectly good race. MK8 evenings start out with a bang, then in the space of a few races everyone's sulking and ready to punch kittens.