• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Louise O'Connor, the company veteran who has worked on animation for Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, was announced as Everwild's executive producer at the event.

But further analysis of the project's leadership team reveals that Simon Woodroffe is the game's creative director. Woodroffe's last game was Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which he performed the same role for.

Rare's studio art director, Ryan Stevenson, is helming the visual direction for the project, having previously led art for Sea of Thieves and Viva Pinata.

Pete Campbell, a lead programmer for Sea of Thieves and the Kinect Sports series, is Everwild's technical director, while writer and designer Kate Watson has been brought in as senior narrative designer. Watson was previously a writer on the Total War series at Creative Assembly.

VGC was told the Everwild team is approaching 50 people, although Rare has ambitions to grow it to a much larger size. Currently the studio has
more than 25 job openings listed on its website.

Everwild, which VGC understands is an ambitious third-person adventure title with god game elements, is set in a "natural and magical world," according to its developer.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
God game elements and the Viva Pinata Art director? Maybe the game actually is a BOTW + Viva game I thought it might be. Excited to find out. I know some are down on this (weird) but fresh IP is always great.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to know what the game will Play like and you can do. It looks amazing, I hope the gameplay will fit my taste

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this is a game i can enjoy without the need to play it with friends or strangers.

Looks promising so far.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks fantastic but pre production? I thought Mr. Xbox said they weren't going to show games far out from release anymore. Perhaps it's being developed quickly due to it being a somewhat smaller project?

I gues this also means what was shown was just target renders and not actual game footage which is really disappointing

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Game looks fantastic but pre production? I thought Mr. Xbox said they weren't going to show games far out from release anymore. Perhaps it's being developed quickly due to it being a somewhat smaller project?

I suspect the approach is shifting.

A) they have more stuff to show off now, so Everwild won't need to be trundled out every time for 2/3/4+ years, a la Crackdown 3.
B) they feel more secure in the long-term, I.e. less likely to cancel stuff.

It was a major problem before due to delays and cancellations and a relative lack of other stuff to show off.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
They were pretty clear about this being at a very early stage in development.

50 people sounds about right.

So now I'll watch this a few more times, put in to the back of my mind and forget about it until E3 2021.

Expect a release Spring 2022.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why they showed the game right now. Are they using it as a way of enticing talent to apply for working on the game? Or simply as a way to prop up XO as a place where big announcements are made?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder why they showed the game right now. Are they using it as a way of enticing talent to apply for working on the game? Or simply as a way to prop up XO as a place where big announcements are made?
Recruitment has to have been a big part of why it was announced now. Now they get to mention Everwild by name in their job listings.

Welp. There goes our hope for Rare releasing a game every two years. Seems like they're still on the every 4 years train. :(
Well. 2020 was always a pipe dream imo. I was hoping for a launch window release on Scarlett in early 2021, but I guess that was too optimistic.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Announcing a game while it's in pre-production is such a Microsoft E3 '14 thing to do.

I'll never get why publishers announce their games so early on, outside of pure desperation. Or pleasing the shareholders on a short term basis I guess.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Why announce the game so early? Didn't Phil say he would avoid such announcements?

I don't mind Phil at all but when he's in the PR role he's exceptionally adept at saying what people want to hear.

Personally I don't mind early reveals. It's all part of the fun. The only danger is that you end up with fewer announcements in future.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As soon as I saw the art style it reminded me of SoT. Looks beautiful.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Phil at all but when he's in the PR role he's exceptionally adept at saying what people want to hear.

Personally I don't mind early reveals. It's all part of the fun. The only danger is that you end up with fewer announcements in future.

I love early reveals. Don't know why people are so against it. Movies do it all the time.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Different times now they have alot of projects and studios
I suspect the approach is shifting.

A) they have more stuff to show off now, so Everwild won't need to be trundled out every time for 2/3/4+ years, a la Crackdown 3.
B) they feel more secure in the long-term, I.e. less likely to cancel stuff.

It was a major problem before due to delays and cancellations and a relative lack of other stuff to show off.

fair enough. So then we should expect more early reveals then I guess. Good to know

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Sounds like this game's been in incubation for all these years while the main focus was Sea of Thieves with all its expansions. Wonder if Everwild will be bigger and more content filled than SoT.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sounds like this game's been in incubation for all these years while the main focus was Sea of Thieves with all its expansions. Wonder if Everwild will be bigger and more content filled than SoT.

SoT is pretty filled with content now tbh. The amount of stuff they've added since launch is exceptional. Story campaigns, PvP modes, QoL updates, timed events, etc.

I expect Rare to move more and more of their SoT team over to the Everwild team in 2020 and beyond. They'll want to ramp up their staff to 100 or more when in full production. They'll probably use a decent amount of support studios.