• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Big Trouble in Little China is a strong contender for the best film ever made... this list is triggering the hell out of me.

Prince of Darkness being in the top five is helping me deal with it, though.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Wow, Christine is up high, that is kind of something.

Been seeing a couple films of his this last month, plus a rewatch of Halloween, and I really been liking this guy's work a lot heh. I was so glad to had finally seen The Thing especially. I have In The Mouth of Madness to be picked up at my public library in the next couple days (and course get into more of his other films sometime), but for now my listing would probably be.

1. The Thing
2. Halloween
3. Escape From New York
4. Christine
5. The Fog

Don't know about the last two. I like the premise and maybe the atmosphere more with the Fog, but Christine felt like a better film.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
In the Mouth of Madness is easily top five. Having The Thing and Price of Darkness up there is on point. Gonna have to give it up to Big Trouble, too.
Yeah. In the Mouth of Madness is unquestionably his last great movie, even if it isn't unquestionably his last great work (that would be cigarette burns).

I was surprised to see it so low. It seems more relevant now than at any other point since he made it.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can't disagree with #1. Awesome film.

I was round a friends house near the start of the year, helping him demolish a couple of £40 bottles of scotch. Ghosts of Mars came on the television and he asks me if I've seen it so I say no. He laughs and leaves it on.

It finishes and there's silence for about 5 minutes, then I'm like "what the fuck did I just watch?".

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Escape from LA has a cool ending, basketball scene, and a very underrated theme song. Everything else is trash.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I have a real soft spot for John Carpenter movies.
I will say that The Thing is (in my humble opinion), probably the best Sci-Fi movie ever made. A perfect package that still has people discussing that ending even now 35 years after release.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, I would rate 20-2 differently, but can't argue with #1. Love the movie. Has one of the best endings too.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The thing sits at its rightful spot at the top. I need it to snow already so I can bundle up and do my yearly watch.

Didn't they announce a 4K copy? Anyword on that since,when we might get that?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like In The Mouth of Madness should be higher, but I wouldn't want to move around the top 10 too much. Hmm...

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I would love it if we could just gush about how great the thing is at least once a month, god its so good

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Ha! I named my first car Christine after the movie.

Unfortunately though, this list falls apart bigtime for me due to Big Trouble in Little China being ranked so low.

Easily top five imo.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at Starman being so low and Vampires being so high. the list may not mess up anything obvious by like, putting The Thing at 15 but it's pretty shaky. I'd go:

19) Vampires
18) Elvis
17) The Ward
16) Memoirs of an Invisible Man
15) Escape from L.A.
14) In the Mouth of Madness
13) Village of the Damned
12) Dark Star
11) Ghosts of Mars
10) They Live
9) Christine
8) Prince of Darkness
7) The Fog
6) Escape from New York
5) Starman
4) Assault on Precinct 13
3) Big Trouble in Little China
2) Halloween
1) The Thing

Guessing the one I most diverge with the majority on is In the Mouth of Madness. My 11-15 are pretty much interchangeable though.
haven't seen: Something's Watching Me!, "The Gas Station" from Body Bags, or the Masters of Horror eps "Pro-Life" & "Cigarette Burns"

Big Wazu

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
My ranking of the ones I've seen:

1. The Thing
2. Escape from New York
3. They Live
4. Big Trouble in Little China
5. Halloween
6. Christine
7. Assault on Precinct 13
8. In the Mouth of Madness
9. Escape from L.A.
10. Vampires
11. Ghosts of Mars
12. Prince of Darkness
13. Memoirs of an Invisible Man

Didn't realize there was so many I haven't seen yet. Need to remedy that soon.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My top 5:

5. Big Trouble In Little China
4. In The Mouth of Madness
3. The Thing
2. Prince of Darkness
1. Halloween (AKA the greatest horror film ever made)

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
I would go Halloween , The Thing, and Big Trouble in Little China for my personal top 3.

While Big Trouble may not be the best Carpenter film, it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Such a classic. Russell is hilarious in this.

Definitely a few in that list that I need to rewatch though

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
HOT TAKE: Any list that doesn't have HALLOWEEN at #1 is invalid.

(Pretty damn solid ranking though.)

Wolfgav

Oct 27, 2017
Glass City.
Big Trouble in Little China is a strong contender for the best film ever made... this list is triggering the hell out of me.

Prince of Darkness being in the top five is helping me deal with it, though.

Yeah, Big Trouble is easily one of Carpenter's best films. They Live is a pretty good film but it's a slow burn and the ending is too abrupt.

1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble in Little China
3. Halloween
4. Prince of Darkness

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of the ones I've seen:

1. The Thing
2. Halloween
3. Big Trouble in Little China
4. Escape From New York
5. Christine
6. They Live
7. Escape From L.A.

I've enjoyed them all for the most part except for Escape From L.A. I enjoyed that on a more "They really made this, huh." level. I've heard such mixed things about the rest of his filmography (except Assault on Precinct 13, I've heard that was pretty decent), that I doubt I'll ever watch them unless it's on cable or something.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I actually really like Ghost of Mars, the enemies are well done and I really love space horror so the movie hits the right notes for me, also some of the death scenes are awesome
when Clea DuVall looks around corner and gets part of her face sliced off
lol

My list:
The Thing
Big Trouble in Little China
Escape from NY
Ghosts of Mars
The Fog
Escape from LA
The rest i'm not really a fan of.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Happy to see some Prince of Darkness love! My favorite! Hell the whole apocalypse trilogy is awesome.

The Thing is definitely his objective best. I think Big Trouble is his most fun, and Halloween is the scariest.