• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I just thought I'd share these! Apparently, Vancouver and Geneva are also doing this as a show of solidarity and appreciation.

People living in Madrid stood on balconies and leaned out of windows to clap and cheer doctors and healthcare workers on Saturday evening following a campaign launched on social media to show appreciation after the Spanish government declared a state of emergency over the coronavirus.

Amid a lockdown, French residents organized on social media to applaud healthcare workers from their balconies, thanking doctors and nurses fighting the coronavirus outbreak.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
We've been doing it throughout Spain ever since the quarantine began! They definetely deserve this, since we can't do anything else for them, cheering them up is the very least we could do.

OP
OP
KrigareN-

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
We have done it in Lisbon as well last week
Wholesome indeed
We've been doing it throughout Spain ever since the quarantine began! They definetely deserve this, since we can't do anything else for them, cheering them up is the very least we could do.
That's awesome! This is like one of the most feel-good things I've come across about the pandemic.

I hope the healthcare workers are aware of this! They absolutely deserve it, dealing with so much volume of patients with limited supplies and at times little protection.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
We clap and hit pans with the kids every evening at 8pm, and will continue to do so until this shit is over.
Not a lot of people doing this around us sadly except my left and right neighbors...

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, my whole street (Spain mostly lives in blocks of apartments) is doing it. It's pretty much become a one hour long balcony celebration of our sanitary workers with music, a couple of neighbors as animators with microphones and even some lights projections.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just saw a tweet about a caregiver letting her patient with Alzheimer's play the harmonica and believe people are cheering for him. It's so bittersweet.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
yeah one day people suddenly started clapping in my building, i didn't knew what it was about until i asked a neighbour, lol

it helps that my building is right in front of the hospital

It's pretty wholesome for sure! I think everyone working during this period should get recognition, even people working in food stores and so on

Nil'giccas

Oct 27, 2017
That's nice and all, but we'd appreciate hazard pay a whole lot more

This. In Greece similar things are also happening and the same party whose health minister was literally proud to fire peole from the public health sector (I'm not exaggerating) is calling people to clap for the doctors and nurses...

Healthcare workers know that people appreciate their work. Give them instead all the equipment and help they need to be able to have this fight.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I am cynical, but when people organize whole street performances they can watch from their balconies while quarantined, that looks like self-amusement more than it does cheering on healthcare workers. Hazard pay is what these people really deserve for the job they are doing right now.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I am cynical, but when people organize whole street performances they can watch from their balconies while quarantined, that looks like self-amusement more than it does cheering on healthcare workers. Hazard pay is what these people really deserve for the job they are doing right now.

I agree somewhat, I've read some commentaries from nurses in Germany that said that it's nice that people care but ultimately it won't help them in anyway and they even found it to be cynical because after the crisis everyone will just get back to normal and nurses will be paid as bad as they are paid now and nothing will change.

These people give their everything and all they get back is people clapping. If we really appreciate their work everyone should lobby for them for better working conditions after this thing is over

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Most people cheering have very little influence on healthworkers compensation levels.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something that stuck with me since I read it:

"The applause—and it happened again the next night, and the next, and every night since—was a show of gratitude, to be sure, but it was also a way of telling one another that we're still here, alive and, for now, unbeaten. It was only a gesture, but one that displayed much of what we'll need, in this country and in every other one, to get through this epidemic: solidarity, collective strength, care, and unbending, stubborn joy."

From here: https://www.thenation.com/article/society/coronavirus-spain-us/

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
Most people cheering have very little influence on healthworkers compensation levels.

Not true, everyone has an influence. Just imagine people going to the streets to protest better working conditions for healtcare workers after this crisis. There was never a better time than now for change in this field.

Oct 27, 2017
We do them every night at 8:00 sharp here in Spain. It's wholesome and well-deserved. People in the health professions are literally risking their lives right now.

One thing, though... Clapping is fine, but it's ultimately pointless. It makes my blood boil to see the same people clapping every day then going out for a 45-minute walk with their dog, going to the supermarket 3 or 4 times a week, chatting with other in the street when their taking out their garbage... If you really want to help, stay the fuck inside!

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a thing in Europe too. I think it started in Italy?

here in Belgium people also hang white sheets from their windows in support. Even our King is doing it.

People also put teddybears in their windows for a 'bear hunt'. Children walking with their parents can look out for them and count them, to make the daily walk (which are still allowed with social distancing) more fun.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
as a healthcare worker i don't care much for it unless this has really been a huge wake up call to people and they actually keep supporting the health care system after this has ended. maybe start standing up for it and voting against people who would want to ruin or destroy it. if only the clapping would let the people exposing themselves to the virus at least get paid a bit extra or get them proper equipment to protect themselves.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone does it everyday here, and I'm all for it. There's a therapeutic value to doing this, honestly.

BUT this will be empty if this doesn't mean we'll see a major political inflexion as a result, and better care being put in our healthcare infrastructure as a whole, including how public healthcare professionals are treated.

(I'm also clapping for all the people actually taking risks and making society run as a whole, from cashiers to delivery people, they all deserve recognition)

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope all of this will have a lasting effect and people won't just forget what healthcare workers, grocery store employees, deliverymen etc. are doing to keep our society from collapsing.

Clapping is a very easy thing to do, but actually standing up for those people is much harder.

Sadly, I'm not very optimistic that everything won't just go back to how it was before in the blink of an eye when all of this is over...

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
I hope people remember these heroes when elections come and they're faced with a choice of increasing welfare or their own fortunes.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
It's been really cool for me to see this first-hand in Atlanta over the past few days

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Talking with some healthcare workers, they don't really appreciate it, they feel like it can be really hypocrite coming from certain class of people (mid & high-level class I would say) as the other time of the year, they don't care about healthcare workers that much and didn't support them when they were manifesting for raises and financial support from the government (at least here in France I mean).

In Europe, healthcare workers are missing equipment to work in the most optimal condition and fight the disease, so sure, clapping is nice, and I guess a lot of people can't really do much, but participating financially would, I guess, be much more appreciate, especially to buy them needed equipment to protect them, such as mask, gloves, etc...

Last edited:

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
My best friend is an ICU nurse and actually treating Corona patients and she hates it. According to her "people only do it to feel better about themselves".

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We really do need to be lifting up our medical workers. The unbelievable stress they are under right now is unfathomable.