• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

This cutscene was accidentally triggered before in the PC version but here it was a conscious effort from the community to trigger this secret ending scene. That's some nice dedication.

For context, every player in the game eventually can build a nuke at their personal base. Players also have the option to invade the bases of other players and steal a nuke that they have crafted. Afterwards, they can dismantle that nuke. Or, players can choose to dismantle their own nuke. After every nuke on the server is dismantled this series of cutscenes plays out for everyone.

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is some dedication. Holy shit.

So what is the cutoff of player time though? I cannot imagine all players with a nuke even playing or owning this anymore.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say it's more likely it only takes a certain percentage, or only people that are online simultaneously. Because I played it on the PS3 and didn't do that.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 stay winning, PS4 stay losing.

This is legitimately awesome that it actually happened.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I forgot there was a PS3 version of this so at first I was thought it was fake or something...but damn they really did it! Amazing.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I would have kept mine active and held the community hostage to paypal donations.

I'm joking. nah, seriously, I'm joking.

It's always pretty cool to me to see these kind of collective efforts in gaming. Always restores part of the feeling of why I like gaming so much. Used to see it in Destiny when I was still actively playing it. People would band together to figure out puzzles, raids etc.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
How does the server work for this again? Does it only count for those who are at live at the server during this time? Was it worldwide or separate by regions like US/EU/JP/Asia?

Anyways I thought I would never see this happening... but it did so it's amazing.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
OP needs way more info.
For context, every player in the game eventually can build a nuke at their personal base. Players also have the option to invade the bases of other players and steal a nuke that they have crafted. Afterwards, they can dismantle that nuke. Or, players can choose to dismantle their own nuke. After every nuke on the server is dismantled this series of cutscenes plays out for everyone.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MGS5 has quite a few context-sensitive cutscenes in it, but this one required every player in the game with a nuke on their FOB to disarm them to be able to trigger this for every player to witness. The coordination required for this to occur is immense, to put it mildly.

How the heck did players coordinate this though? Never played the game, so yea, more context is needed.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Though I have MGSV on PC and PS4, I played and finished the PS3 version first and stuck with it.

Upon learning this, I immediately booted my PS3 and checked the game. Yup, I can confirm the cutscene is triggered. I never owned a nuke in my FOB.

The credits were showing other players. How can you be part of that?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I don't remember building or dismantling a nuke.

All I remembered was some person consistently invade my base and then playing this game offline.

More context
May 15, 2019
How the heck did players coordinate this though? Never played the game, so yea, more context is needed.
There's a system in game where you can invade someone else's base to steal their stuff. There are various tabs on the invasion menu that will display about a dozen player bases each, and one of them highlights players that have a nuke on their base. If you invade someone's base and fail their base is blockaded for 24 real world hours before someone else can invade them. It also takes 24 real world hours to build a nuke, so these combined with the nuclear tab often not updating and just showing blockaded bases makes it really hard to actively invade people's bases to steal their nukes for dismantling, which is why it's taken five years for it to actually happen on a single platform.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm not so sure how legitimate this effort was?
At 5:30 of that video it says "Decommissioned Nuclear Devices: 1000000". That's an awfully specific number.

It looks to me as though 1,000,000 disarmaments is hard-coded into the game to trigger this scene.

I could be wrong but that number is completely inorganic.

Edit: What I'm saying is that it looks impossible to have decommissioned every nuke made by every player on the platform even with FOB invasions accounted for.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I remember thinking this would never happen,or at least would take a lot years,and yeah,almost 5 years is a lot of time and effort,happy it happened legitimate this time,remember to me how incredible is this game.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not so sure how legitimate this effort was?
At 5:30 of that video it says "Decommissioned Nuclear Devices: 1000000". That's an awfully specific number.

It looks to me as though 1,000,000 disarmaments is hard-coded into the game to trigger this scene.

I could be wrong but that number is completely inorganic.

Edit: What I'm saying is that it looks impossible to have decommissioned every nuke made by every player on the platform even with FOB invasions accounted for.
I mean even if it was approximately 1 million nukes that's still a crazy effort on the part of the players involved.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
There is hope for the human race yet.

Maybe if we promise to make a special cutscene, the world leaders will disarm