• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They improved a little bit. They also badly copied how W3 handles sidequests and so it felt like every AC before just with a little bit of Witcher seasoning. I liked Origins but let us not act like Origins holds a candle compared to W3s quests. Oddyssey looks more like a combination of W3 and Horizon Zero Dawn so maybe that will pull me in more
I mean it does not, im not saying that. W3 writing is something else compared to nearly every game this gen. I'm just saying both games have fetch quests, its just writing and cutscenes hide that in W3 a lot better than in Origins.
The inevitable backlash against this game when it turns out it isn't literally a gift from God is going to be severe.

I forsee the main problem being on review embargo lifting day where somebody gives it an 8/10.
That happens with every single game tho? Even BoTW got 7 or something , right? There is no pleasing everyone and no game is above critique

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
* ACTIVATE HOLO VISION *

I love TW3, but damn almost every single mission involved using your witcher sense and following a trail

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they play a little better than Witcher's and use the skill system the game's supposed to have to encourage multiple playthroughs.

Who am I kidding it's going to be more linear stories again.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Bookmarking this thread for launch day, when every sidequest does not, in fact, feel like a complete story in and of itself.

I appreciate them aiming for the moon on this shit but man are they making impossible promises early on in development.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
* ACTIVATE HOLO VISION *

I love TW3, but damn almost every single mission involved using your witcher sense and following a trail

I mean, that's the gameplay. You're playing a guy with supernatural-level tracking skills. He tracks things. Would it be nice if there was a little more variety in terms of how he accomplished that? Sure. But tracking and investigating stuff is Geralt's game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bookmarking this thread for launch day, when every sidequest does not, in fact, feel like a complete story in and of itself.

I appreciate them aiming for the moon on this shit but man are they making impossible promises early on in development.
majority of witcher quests were self contained stories tho.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
"We want to make sure that all of them are up to the standards of the main quest – that there's nothing that feels like filler, just something to do while waiting for the next quest, or to get more money to buy the next thing. We don't really like to do that. We want to make sure that every quest feels like a complete story in and of itself."

CDPR is probably the only dev studio right now which can make this sort of a claim and it would sound believable. They came pretty close to this in Witcher 3 + DLCs, and taking into account the astonishing quality jumps between their three games up to this moment, and also taking into account the fact that they are basically swimming in money after the success of Witcher 3 (while Witcher 3 itself was made on a quite tight budget), they might actually pull this off.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's the gameplay. You're playing a guy with supernatural-level tracking skills. He tracks things. Would it be nice if there was a little more variety in terms of how he accomplished that? Sure. But tracking and investigating stuff is Geralt's game.

You're right. I just want then to be a little more creative. Witcher 3 is one of the top 3 of the generation for most of us, I have no doubt Cyberpunk is going to take the place of one of the other two.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They were self contained stories but "there's nothing that feels like filler" and "up to the standards of the main quest" is sort of a different thing
Some of the side quest chains were better than main story tho? And filler is subjective , is it not? If you dont give a shit about narrative and want gameplay , then it wont help even if it were the Citizen Kane of sidequests.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
CDPR giving me more reasons to love them more. What an amazing team!

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take note Nintendo, ubisoft, EA, squareenix or whatever. This is how you do sidequests

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
Hoping it works out. I would play it for graphics and atmosphere alone though. Looks stellar.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Did you play The Witcher 3?

Yeah, of course? I liked it a lot but didn't really view it as a classic I guess.

Some of the side quest chains were better than main story tho? And filler is subjective , is it not? If you dont give a shit about narrative and want gameplay , then it wont help even if it were the Citizen Kane of sidequests.

Yeah, "filler" is subjective. So is "good", "better", and literally anything else we can talk about when referring to videogames. That really isn't even a worthwhile thing bringing up?

I like both but I value narrative a lot. I just found some of the Witcher sidequests as like, unquestionably (to me) just sort of bullshit side stories. Not egregiously offensive, just not much to them. And it didn't help that the mechanics of a lot of sidequests didn't really play with the story at all or change the way the game player in any way.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've no reason to doubt cdpr after The Witcher 3 and Dlc's. Easy to be cynical and the proof is in the pudding but I've zero reason to doubt them. Zero.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds great, but also sounds like there's no chance of a 2019 release if they really stick to that.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Devs like Larian and Obsidian have been doing this for years (Even before that, it used to be the standards with games like Fallout 2 and BG2), no idea why people are acting like Witcher 3 invented meaningful sub-quests (When in fact a lot of Witcher contracts tend to fall in "repetitive busywork" category).

Hopefully they actually improve their quest design and will go beyond "Follow the batman sense".

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
""We don't artificially limit ourselves," Mills says. "Our philosophy for quest design is, 'If the player can logically do it, then they can'. And if they can't, then we have to come up with a damn good reason why."

THIS IS WHY THEY ARE THE G.O.A.T.

More developers need to think this way. I absolutely believe they can pull this off after seeing that gameplay demo. Cyberpunk is going to be absolutely fucking insane.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Devs like Larian and Obsidian have been doing this for years (Even before that, it used to be the standards with games like Fallout 2 and BG2), no idea why people are acting like Witcher 3 invented meaningful sub-quests (When in fact a lot of Witcher contracts tend to fall in "repetitive busywork" category).

Hopefully they actually improve their quest design and will go beyond "Follow the batman sense".
Who is acting like witcher invented good side quests?What?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So there will be around 5 side quest then?
Haha, I'd genuinely be OK with that if they were substantial enough.

I have more faith in CDPR than a lot of devs, but stuff like this always comes off as over hyping. Like when devs say their game will have 1000 different endings, but it's just different combination of 20 different PowerPoint slides.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
""We don't artificially limit ourselves," Mills says. "Our philosophy for quest design is, 'If the player can logically do it, then they can'. And if they can't, then we have to come up with a damn good reason why."

THIS IS WHY THEY ARE THE G.O.A.T.

More developers need to think this way. I absolutely believe they can pull this off after seeing that gameplay demo. Cyberpunk is going to be absolutely fucking insane.

Gamers are scary yo

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
exactly which is why it's perfectly fine to compare and contrast these products without having to worry about why Ubi's game are the way they are because at the end of the day they are
touche.

Ubi does pump out games pretty fast. I guess money talks and while people keep buying them up, I don't see them switching to making better games that release much less frequently. I'm just thankful for studios like CDPR existing.

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
I just hope like W3 it has a great mix of side content from the more in depth quest and hunts, to the question marks around that map that could be a wide variety of different things. Considering how fantastic Blood and Wine is i have no reason to doubt them.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds to me like they want to improve upon what they had already done in Witcher 3, and I am so so ready for them to accomplish it.

I hope they take as much time as they need to fulfill these statements.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many human/cyborg modifications there will be in the game? Will it be like in Fallout: New Vegas where people were still finding new locations/quests on the map years after the game released? I sure hope so. Would be appealing that exploration would create unique gameplay based on how modifications change your approach to a mission.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
can you even imagine how good witcher 3 quality quests are going to be if they also nail the shooting/stealth/driving gameplay?

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
This game is gonna be soo ambitious. They certainly aim super high with every project,their status after just 3 games in their history,is a prime example of passionate people that want to succeed and leave their mark on the industry.

Yeah, a shame really. But looking at the demo first person perspective seems to be deep rooted into the gameplay and augmentations. .

I was neutral about the perspective,but after I saw the demo live I was totally convinved. People need to be more open minded,I mean the game looks like Deus Ex on steroids which is insane