• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
http://indiannoob.in/every-sideques...-feel-like-a-complete-story-in-and-of-itself/

The latest issue of EDGE magazine, which has been summarized by Reddit user Jackjackea, revealed some additional details on Cyberpunk 2077, especially the side quests. According to this, CDPR wants to make sure that every side quest in the game will feel like a complete story in and of itself.

Any stories, characters or themes that aren't explored in depth in the main story are taken to be fully fleshed out in sidequests

"We want to make sure that all of them are up to the standards of the main quest – that there's nothing that feels like filler, just something to do while waiting for the next quest, or to get more money to buy the next thing. We don't really like to do that. We want to make sure that every quest feels like a complete story in and of itself."

There's more choice to what we've just seen than is usually available in video game quests: for instance, you could take DeShawn's money and run at the very beginning, eschewing his mission but having to deal with the consequences later. You could make off with Stout's eddies, too, although we presume you'd have to get the virus on the chip scrubbed off somewhere. "We don't artificially limit ourselves," Mills says. "Our philosophy for quest design is, 'If the player can logically do it, then they can'. And if they can't, then we have to come up with a damn good reason why."

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
That was, for the most part, how W3 felt. At least close to it. I think it's fairly attainable.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds interesting, basically the Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy-esque "anything you do has specific consequences" but applied to an open world, open-ended RPG. Having tons of options both in the approach to the missions and the people sounds very promising, hopefully they can truly deliver on the promise and it's not just scripted options that always go between the usual "go in guns blazing or stealth it, maybe try to break a deal". No doubt it's the most ambitious RPG by a big studio in a long long time.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
The side quests in TW3 already had good stories and characters, even if you can argue that they weren't as varied as they could've been from a gameplay perspective (Witcher sense).

And since everything I've read about Cyberpunk 2077 so far points towards a game that will surpass their other games in every aspect, I totally believe CDPR can pull this off.

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
this is how you do it ubisoft. not 300 fetch or repetitive quests.
Ubisoft improved a lot with origins compared to previous ac games when it came to side content. And AC games in general are more sandboxy than w3, more system driven than narrative one

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I expect it from CDPR's next game after TW3. Glad to read they are going for it.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't like that. Focus on a story and deliver it properly please.

Honestly, i don't like games where 99% of what to do is filler, even if the filler is of excellent quality. This is snoozefest to me.

I much prefer true sandbox with a story (like Assassin's Creed for example) or linear with vignettes (like DQXI) over what Witcher3, or even Skyrim, was doing.

I even prefer shit stories, with fetch quests and secrets, over that (Dragon's Dogma, anyone ?).

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Honestly, i don't like games where 99% of what to do is filler, even if the filler is of excellent quality. This is snoozefest to me.

I much prefer true sandbox with a story (like Assassin's Creed for example) or linear with vignettes (like DQXI) over what Witcher3, or even Skyrim, was doing.

I even prefer shit stories, with fetch quests and secrets, over that (Dragon's Dogma, anyone ?).
Well then, I think cyberpunk is not for you. Or any cdpr game for that matter

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a CDPR game. The story is the one thing that they're going to nail above all else.

Also yeah, this game might not be for you based upon what we know.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
how many do you think are reasonably feasible?

And Bloody Baron was a main story quest.

The interesting thing about bloody baron was that it managed to be both. The main story brought you there but then you could elect to stay and much more completely explore things with that family.

Oct 26, 2017
That was, for the most part, how W3 felt. At least close to it. I think it's fairly attainable.
Yeah, most of the Witcher contracts where like that. I expect this game to be even better at that. I think their high quality dialogue system helps a lot. Every minor scene felt somewhat unique with tons and tons of unique animations and poses. Sure sometimes you'd see repeated animations but overall it really felt like you were getting curated handcrafted content.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for The Witcher 3, I wouldn't believe them. Tbh, that's what the majority of quests felt like in that game.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Awesome, can't wait! Now please confirm if i can modify my character to be chrome, want to shine bright in the sun and blind my enemies.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft improved a lot with origins compared to previous ac games when it came to side content. And AC games in general are more sandboxy than w3, more system driven than narrative one

They improved a little bit. They also badly copied how W3 handles sidequests and so it felt like every AC before just with a little bit of Witcher seasoning. I liked Origins but let us not act like Origins holds a candle compared to W3s quests. Oddyssey looks more like a combination of W3 and Horizon Zero Dawn so maybe that will pull me in more

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing it's going to be like TW3. The quests that are labeled side quests in TW3 are meaty. But they still had some quests that were quick and easy like the hunts (which each had their own little story).

Oct 25, 2017
The side quests in TW3 already had good stories and characters, even if you can argue that they weren't as varied as they could've been from a gameplay perspective (Witcher sense).

And since everything I've read about Cyberpunk 2077 so far points towards a game that will surpass their other games in every aspect, I totally believe CDPR can pull this off.

Yeah, it would be awesome if they could nail the gameplay variety as well.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the narrative sidequests (not contracts, etc.) in TW3 were better than the main quest, so this is both very pleasing news and not surprising at the same time. :)

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone else said that I would think it hyperbolic PR. But with CDPR I believe them. Looking forward to it.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering this is CDPR saying this I believe them.

Now can they please stfu cuz they ain't helping with the wait by saying shit like this :(

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As has been said in the thread, this is pretty much what Witcher 3 was. I imagine they'd try to do it even better than they did it in TW3 for this game.

I still won't be playing it, but I hope they pull it off. I want to see BioWare and Bethesda shamed into actually trying harder in their next games.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The inevitable backlash against this game when it turns out it isn't literally a gift from God is going to be severe.

I forsee the main problem being on review embargo lifting day where somebody gives it an 8/10.