• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
If the past is the best indicator of the future, Sony will offer PS2 classics at some point. For you to buy, again.

Looking forward to Mass Effect Trilogy running even better than on X1X, which was a big upgrade over a real 360.

and if the past is any indicator, they will be emulated poorly IMO.

I gave up on The Warriors because of the erratic framerate.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The BC teamed moved on to getting it all working on the Series X, but after that work is done I have to imagine they'd go back to working on getting more new (old) games running.
They may instead continue enhancing XB1 games by increasing resolution and possibly increasing framerrates. A lot of 720p to 900p to 1080p XB1 games that never got XB1X patches.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to feel pretty dumb for buying all my multi platform titles for PS consoles the last two gens.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The work they put in on the BC tech on Xbox One is paying off. Looking forward to seeing it evolve into the next gen.

Hope they add some new OG XB and X360 games to the list though. I know the licensing part can be tough for old games, but there are still some games I would like to see get BC support.

(Timesplitters in particular.)

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Will be playing exclusive PS5 games day 1 hopefully. If they pull it off and it whatever game blows our mind, I'll be happy to not care for last gen games to start off the new gen.
Agreed. I dont care that much about BC to be honest and definitely wanna see some PS5 exclusive games

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Its gonna be amazing to get a XSX, connect your external drive, sign into your account and all of your games are there and play better than they did before.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
At this point I thought this was expected? MS/Xbox has mastered BC and is the one real sticking point for me when it comes to PS5.
Not enough for me to change my purchase but hats off to Xbox.

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie... I was highly skeptical of the importance of backwards compatability on old games that I thought I'd never play again.

Then, I picked up a 1X on a massive Black Friday sale. I dug around my closet and found some OG Xbox games. Popped in Morrowind, Indiana Jones and Halo. Saw them running in 4k. Yep, I'm a believer.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
It's honestly amazing. And with auto enhancements with resolution and HDR.

So is this all emulation and software based? How is Microsoft doing this?
If I had to guess, it actually goes back to how the first Xbox One was engineered.

Remember when news broke that Xbox One was actually running a 3 OS Hyper-Vs in one solution? An OS Hyper-V, a game Hyper-V, and one hyper-V that ties it all together. I'll refer to that one as the Rug. This seemed odd at the time. Why virtualize code that could run natively on the hardware. And I think we now have our answer. It was forward looking at the time, we just didn't realize the implications.

The implications being... MS has already ported the XO's game hyper-V to XSX. That the Xbox hardware is NOT the Xbox platform, rather, the game Hyper-V is the Xbox platform.

XO code does not know that it is running on XO or XSX, it only knows that it's running on the game hyper-V. This is why original code will run un-altered on XSX. The quality of how it will run will be up to the port of the game hyper-V to XSX, but I'm guessing that this is why we can also see crazy enhancements to native code. The game hyper-V gets a request from the game software to render at 1080p, and it's like, "No dawg, I'm gonna render that shit at 4k!"

"Render this in SDR, please. That will be fine."

"F-that! I'm going to ask my ML buddy over here to add HDR!"

Then the game hyper-V passes it over to the Rug to spit it out to your TV with the enhancements. Game code is unaware that any of this is happening.

I surmise this is also the same approach to XOX enhancements to 360 BC titles. The main difference here is that 360 software was never written to run in a game hyper-V, so MS built a custom layer to facilitate that, on a game-by-game basis.

I have more crazy theories about how this applies to Lockhart as well.
XSX code is in the same state as XO code. It hands its instructions off to game hyper-V, but in Lockhart's case, game hyper-V will be like, "Hmm, ok. What if I render this at 1440p instead of 4k? And this raytracing stuff? Let's just not do that at all, if that's OK with you." Essentially, hyper-V is de-hancing games for Lockhart. This could mean there is still only one spec to develop to. Nothing needed by the devs to target both Anaconda and Lockhart. Game hyper-V does all the work. Again, XSX game code is unaware that this is happening.

Anyhow, if you got through that thanks for listening to the ramblings of a madman.

Last edited:

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
For someone who didn't get an xbox one this generation this is great news if I plan on getting a series x. They have done everything the right way and only need a decent price point to sell well now.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect for the inevitable next gen droubt, good on MS

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. I hope Sony starts getting more competitive against MS, because man is the Series X sounding better and better all the time. I love how is just going to all work, no questions asked. That's how I thought PS4 BC on PS5 would be.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly amazing. And with auto enhancements with resolution and HDR.

So is this all emulation and software based? How is Microsoft doing this?
Increasing resolution on games with locked resolutions isn't done automatically. HDR might be auto as it seems to be doing it at a system level.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
So no autoenhancenments ? Somehow hoped every 360 game will be 4k and get some other extras :(

Oct 29, 2017
It's absolutely fantastic! Very excited to get the next Xbox but will certainly be after the PS5 unless I come into an irresponsible amount of cash. I use backwards compatibility a lot on the Xbox One and knowing I can carry over everything on the XSX is great.

Hope they support with more 360 and original games down the line.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
"Hundreds of games you can play day 1 with Xbox Series X"
"With Back Compat, Xbox Game Pass and Launching titles with Xbox Series X, no other place can you play as many games as you could before"

I can see those lines being used for marketing lol

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
This should've been the baseline expectation for next gen. It certianly was back in 2013 when we learned that both systems were moving to x86, and it certianly was a month ago when most posters in the speculation thread were expecting BC to stretch across every console gen.

It's absolutely baffling that Sony can't even commit to full PS4 BC at launch in 2020 with digital taking over the way it is.

Absolutely every part of this.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Richard from DF was quite impressed by the ML HDR implementation. I'm excited to see it in action one day.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I've never owned an Xbox before so this is the main reason I want a series x at launch.

That plus them playing nicely with the Nintendo crowd over the past year won me over :)

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they continue on adding OG XBOX and 360 games. They have an amazing amount of games, but I would love to play more. Either way, the BC team has to be congratulated for their work and effort so far. Ahead of Sony and Nintendo for sure.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's edge over Sony in software and services is really showing. They are simply a powerhouse as a company in that department, and it cannot be denied. Microsoft has extensive, deep experience with backwards compatibility from their history with Windows and other platforms. I'm really excited for next gen.

Apr 30, 2019
how to play your Xbox One games on XSX

They really should take advantage of the opportunity. Sony not having full BC with ps4 games while XSX has enhanced BC with games going all the way back to the og Xbox is just as big of a fuck up as what MS did in 2013 imo. MS then went on to fix the issue entirely and people could share their games normally at the launch of the Xbox one. Let's see if Sony makes improvements to the backwards compatibility prospects of the ps5 before launch.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
giphy.gif

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
At least doubling the resolution may be possible. Not certain on the particulars in possibly increasing the framerate.
Where? You sure it wasn't referring to dynamic resolutions automatically staying at it's highest resolution due to access to extra power.
it's in the DF article, for example GOW remastered, a game that has not been patched for the 1X runs at 4K on the XSX.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Microsoft has thousands of games across three generations of backwards compatible while Sony barely gets a hundred PS4 games working

What a flex

Status
Not open for further replies.