• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Microsoft continues to show that their commitment to being the best place to play is unrivaled. With Xcloud, GamePass, and now full backwards compatibility, there has never been a better time to Jump In.

I am pleased to be an Xbox fan.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, props to Xbox.

Sony better respond, because right now I'm kinda miffed. I don't want some "100 top games work" bullshit.

I want to be able to play trails of cold steel.

Then again, "why would anyone want to play this?", so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great to me. But when will Jet Set Radio Future be added to the backwards compatibility list?

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
I'm repeating what Xbox Wire and Phil have publicly said is the goal. 4 generations of compatibility and your games all come with you. I'm not on the team and am not confirming anything that hasn't already been confirmed.

Okay, thank you!

Then I don't understand what this thread is about, we've known about BC for a while now:

Xbox -> Select BC with select enhancements
X360 -> Select BC with select enhancements
XB1 -> Full BC with X1 games and with the X1X enhancement patches

In short, whatever you play on your X1X, you will play on XSX the exact same way, but you'll hit the framerate/dynamic resolution cap consistently thanks to the added power. So titles with an unlocked framerate (like KH3, for instance) will run at max fps with no developer intervention, while unpatched capped titles will run as they do now on your machine (e.g. X1 AC:Syndicate will still run at 900p)

What appears to be possible as an "auto" enhancement is HDR, though, and I look forward to seeing it in action! It's really promising

EDIT: wait, even X1 games will have a whitelist?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Then why would you say "every single" if they may not get through tests and approval for them all? They didn't get through all the 360 games and the source in your OP has backtracked
Because he said it. 360 games were also a problem abit more legal wise. As it was never planned before and were also alot of older games. This is less the case with xbox one

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Now that's how to make things perfectly clear lol

Amazing news. Getting hyped :)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
That's the kind of ecosystem I like buying games in. Generational cut-off points have always been extremely frustrating in the gaming industry, so it's nice to see this being handled so well.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Rock Band pperiperals and the 360 wireless adapter work as well?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because he said it. 360 games were also a problem abit more legal wise. As it was never planned before and were also alot of older games. This is less the case with xbox one
Ok so it may not be every single game and the guy you quoted has since said in this thread and the other that he's not on the team and he was repeating the goal he heard publicly like the rest of us. The blogs he linked in the other thread do not promise every single game like your title says. They have not expressly guaranteed this. Phil says it is in an approval list system as of 3 weeks ago.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a good thread on this somewhere, but here's the wiki entry on it.

There isn't a huge selection, but they all run at 4K (ish)

Yeah, I think the lower selection probably makes this not worth it for me, but it's nice for people who are already in the ecosystem.

(And thank you for the link; I just expected a ballpark estimation for an answer, but you went above and beyond to grab a link. :)

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so it may not be every single game and the guy you quoted has since said in this thread and the other that he's not on the team and he was repeating the goal he heard publicly like the rest of us. The blogs he linked in the other thread do not promise every single game like your title says. They have not expressly guaranteed this. Phil says it is in an approval list system as of 3 weeks ago.
I cant go back in time lol. I said "every single" because he said it.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
If the past is the best indicator of the future, Sony will offer PS2 classics at some point. For you to buy, again.

Looking forward to Mass Effect Trilogy running even better than on X1X, which was a big upgrade over a real 360.
To be fair, Sony will have to dedicate dev hours to make this happen, so there is a cost on their end. If the games are reasonably priced, I don't see this being an issue.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes that's the same with the 360 games. They off course need to tested.

Then it's probably fair that they havent explicitly said every single title will be available (especially day 1), because they cant know for sure at this time. It's extremely unlikely they have tested every game at this point.

Time travel may not be your strong suit, but it is probably within your abilities to ask a mod to correct the title to say that it is their goal

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Right, so it's not full BC. It's a whitelist again, and many games won't boot. Not every single game has been promised.

Again, the Xbox blog doesn't promise every game and Phil said:
`"I'm trying it. It's in active development, sometimes it reboots. Not all the games today are completely compatible. We're working through our list of approved games on it. You can see what I'm playing; there's tons of games that work," Spencer said.
All game will come with you. It's what they marketed and what will happen, regardless of the process behind doors.

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft is doing great things with XSX, to be able to use all existing games and peripherals on X1 for their new system will help get through inevitable new release droughts.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
That's one hell of a launch lineup. It will be great to bring my Xbox One Backlog to the next generation; I've only finished 9(?!) games. 😟

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft has handled this the right way. Full BC with automatic enhancements. Yesterday I was still leaning on getting PS5 on launch, but since Sony seems to offer piss poor BC on launch I might initially get XSX.

I'm really happy how Spencer and his team has managed to change the course of Xbox. Good times ahead.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, reading through posts it's the same as PS5? No real guarantee of full BC at this point? It's just the "goal"? Games have to be tested? Maybe it's time to consider PC then, damn...

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Holy fuck more resolution bumps for 360 is my dream. Alan wake with 4K and HDR would probably make me cry with happiness.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
on my 1X seems to run not higher than 30 From Software fps, I could be wrong though
Ah ok. Yes the game is locked to 30fps. Thats because from software never patched it for xbox to run unlocked (they did for ps4 pro). Until they do, it will be same on the xsx i reckon. Similar to how the x has handled upgrades. I could be wrong though.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So, reading through posts it's the same as PS5? No real guarantee of full BC at this point? It's just the "goal"? Gaames have to be tested? Maybe it's time to consider PC then, damn...
So far Sony has sent a mixed message that only 100 popular PS4 games are so far working but some with issues. It'll take awhile to get more working from yesterday to launch date. Xbox has guaranteed that all 360 games currently BC on Xbox One are BC with some OG titles. By the launch date, MS might have more BC titles, but MS Gaming has guaranteed that all Xbox One games will be BC at launch for Xbox Series X, so take the news as you see fit, but Phil's confirmation with others and Sony's lack of response has made my launch decision easy. I might get a PS5 down the road on the cheap, but mostly for 1st party games.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Maybe you could update the OP with what Phil actually said recently and get a mod to fix the title so it doesn't say something unconfirmed citing someone who doesn't stand by having the power to verify such a commitment.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm repeating what Xbox Wire and Phil have publicly said is the goal. 4 generations of compatibility and your games all come with you. I'm not on the team and am not confirming anything that hasn't already been confirmed.
Yes publisher approval. Just like 360 and og Xbox games. They need to legally.
Right, so it's not full BC. It's a whitelist again, and many games won't boot. Not every single game has been promised.

Again, the Xbox blog doesn't promise every game and Phil said:
`"I'm trying it. It's in active development, sometimes it reboots. Not all the games today are completely compatible. We're working through our list of approved games on it. You can see what I'm playing; there's tons of games that work," Spencer said.
So far Sony has sent a mixed message that only 100 popular PS4 games are so far working but some with issues. It'll take awhile to get more working from yesterday to launch date. Xbox has guaranteed that all 360 games currently BC on Xbox One are BC with some OG titles. By the launch date, MS might have more BC titles, but MS Gaming has guaranteed that all Xbox One games will be BC at launch for Xbox Series X, so take the news as you see fit, but Phil's confirmation with others and Sony's lack of response has made my launch decision easy. I might get a PS5 down the road on the cheap, but mostly for 1st party games.
I'm referring to the posts above yours Nolbertos . It sounds like it isn't full X1 BC, or at least it isn't truly guaranteed?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

To the bolded, no they havent. At all, anywhere.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may sound fanboyish, but I believe Sony's head honcho when he said BC is something people want very much but dont end up using, they have the data.

I've owned PS1-4 and never touched a "last gen game" once new console's released. With the biggest games being yearly things or services BC really doesn't matter, it's great for optics.

Status
Not open for further replies.