• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
See there was still some confusing about this. Spartycrunch chimmed in on this to be clear.

Every single game you can run on an Xbox One will also run on Xbox Series X. They will also run better by default. Just like Xbox One --> Xbox One X. Some may get even further enhancements like automatic HDR or resolution bumps, depending on what the compatibility team is able to pull off.

No "boost mode", no variability. Everything just works, and works better. Every back-compat original Xbox and Xbox 360 game, and every single Xbox One game.

All of the controllers you bought for your Xbox One will also work on Xbox Series X, and will get a firmware update to take advantage of dynamic latency input too

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Great - this + gamespass + xcloud puts them in a great position for day one. If they nail the exclusive games this gen, I can see them doing really well.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If the past is the best indicator of the future, Sony will offer PS2 classics at some point. For you to buy, again.

Looking forward to Mass Effect Trilogy running even better than on X1X, which was a big upgrade over a real 360.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's excellent. And should be the standard for many years to come. No confusion, just straight forward and straight to the point.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks for clearing this up.

Even though I think that some users might still be stuck in the "denial" stage.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Really glad I swapped from my launch PS4 to 1X.

I even still have my old PacMan CE 360 Arcade games 😭

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing! I've been screaming for the rooftops about this at the start of this/last gen and it's finally happening. Bravo!

Apr 21, 2018
This is a huge reason for me to go with Xbox over Playstation next generation.

The fact that I can play improved Xbox games on Day 1, and meanwhile on PS5 I'm not sure if it'll play my PS4 games...

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
this is a lie, what about kinect games or license ended games (forza 1)

/s

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Great - this + gamespass + xcloud puts them in a great position for day one. If they nail the exclusive games this gen, I can see them doing really well.
Especially when you consider the fact that people already invested in the Xbox ecosystem will probably get decent value for their existing system via trade-in, making the cost of entry all the more bearable.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
From the DF Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

"AMD has worked with Microsoft to deliver full hardware backwards compatibility with current gen systems. Untouched, Xbox One and Xbox One X code will run natively on Series X..." More about the enhancements follows.

It doesn't really get more unambiguous than that.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness, this is such a massive advantage that Microsoft has over Sony right now.

veras

Oct 27, 2017
It's nuts to me that MS is the only one of the big three showing respect for the back catalog/previous generations, especially since Sony and Nintendo have longer and more storied histories to leverage

Hats off to MS though showing everyone else how it should be done

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The fruits of the good decisions Microsoft made this gen (virtualized environment that all games run within) are going to pay off with backcompat and digital libraries. All they have to do is get that virtualized environment running and they can port all of this forward indefintely.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The first year of a console is usually a drought right after launch. So i'm glad all my games will be there to help mitigate any potential dry spell. Good shit microsoft

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This should've been the baseline expectation for next gen. It certianly was back in 2013 when we learned that both systems were moving to x86, and it certianly was a month ago when most posters in the speculation thread were expecting BC to stretch across every console gen.

It's absolutely baffling that Sony can't even commit to full PS4 BC at launch in 2020 with digital taking over the way it is.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's nuts to me that MS is the only one of the big three showing respect for the back catalog/previous generations, especially since Sony and Nintendo have longer and more storied histories to leverage

Hats off to MS though showing everyone else how it should be done
I dont think they are the only ones respecting it. I think Sony designed the PS5 with 36 CU;s largely for this reason. Its just super hard for Sony / Nintendo to do since they still work directly on the physical hardware metal. Microsoft has a layer of abstraction that makes this much easier.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that older Xbox One controllers will get a firmware update to work with DLI on the Series X is also incredible.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The foundation they laid years ago paying dividends. Amazing work by that team as always.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear. Microsoft has done a fantastic job of building for the future all generation long.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS's handling of BC has been truly great

have they said anything about more OG xbox and 360 games being added?

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I personally like this more than the discussion of SSD speeds. This means more to me, especially the Xbox One X to Series X.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
This needs to become the standard. Microsoft is doing an amazing job on the backwards compatibility side of their business.

This is one of the strongest reasons for some people to buy a Series X.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
From the DF Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

"AMD has worked with Microsoft to deliver full hardware backwards compatibility with current gen systems. Untouched, Xbox One and Xbox One X code will run natively on Series X..." More about the enhancements follows.

It doesn't really get more unambiguous than that.

It's honestly amazing. And with auto enhancements with resolution and HDR.

So is this all emulation and software based? How is Microsoft doing this?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing practices for PS5/XSX is almost the exact opposite of what it was for PS4/XB1. lol

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think they are the only ones respecting it. I think Sony designed the PS5 with 36 CU;s largely for this reason. Its just super hard for Sony / Nintendo to do since they still work directly on the physical hardware metal. Microsoft has a layer of abstraction that makes this much easier.
Nah, Sony really doesn't care that much for legacy software support. If they did, ps1 support would be there at the very least.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff, this should be the minimum level of expectation from consumers on new hardware going forward. Sony needs to get it together and match this effort.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Competition is great for consumers. MS has been the most consumer friendly since the shit they pulled at the launch of the xb1. Good to see that continue.

Oct 30, 2017
How are they seemingly doing this this so perfectly?
Sony seems like they were fully committed to this but they are still running into some degree of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.