• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how clearly things can be stated when you actually deliver, as opposed to purposefully crafting obfuscation in an attempt to mask your pathetic deficiency.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Nooooo ...my dreams are crushed. I was hoping for magic "literally any Xbox OG game works" miracles because there is that one licensed game that I NEED that will never get official support :(

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What about the apps? I want to know this cause my xbox is my media center so i need those apps day one (vlc, netflix, youtube etc...)

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Exactly what I want to hear when we're moving firmly towards digital libraries. Double down on cross play with PC and I'm pretty much sold already with Game Pass. Only bought a PS4 this gen but happy to switch since I'm primarily on PC.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
the bar they have set on console BC is already extremely high. Curious to see if they have some other trick up their sleeves

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I didn't have an XB1 this gen, but it's looking like I'll be maining the new Xbox next generation due to the power advantages, which means access once again to my large 360 digital library. Can't wait.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
It's honestly amazing. And with auto enhancements with resolution and HDR.

So is this all emulation and software based? How is Microsoft doing this?
It's in the article from eurogamer:
www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

little snippet:

This was a show-stopping moment. It was indeed Fusion Frenzy - an original Xbox title - running with its usual 16x resolution multiplier via back-compat, but this time presented with highly convincing, perceptibly real HDR. The key point is that this is proposed as a system-level feature for Xbox Series X, which should apply to all compatible games that don't have their own bespoke HDR modes - and as Marais demonstrated, it extends across the entire Xbox library.

So much detail in this article to digest. a LOT of features will be present in Series X. Great for all gamers

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox's BC team does not get enough praise, they have been doing FANTASTIC work.

If anyone one of them is reading this, your hard work is not being overlooked, keep it up!

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This would definitely put me over the edge towards Series X if I owned an Xbox One. As my back catalogue is mainly ps4 games this doesnt help me particularly

But MS is completely shitting on Sony BC wise

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Automatic HDR sounds bullshit, that's not how HDR is implemented. It's probably gonna be some fake HDR which will end up looking worse than SDR

Nope! EvilBoris explained how they do it. It's super cool:

I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Automatic HDR sounds bullshit, that's not how HDR is implemented. It's probably gonna be some fake HDR which will end up looking worse than SDR
EvilBoris said this about it.
I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.
Sorry buddy

Edit: Dammit, just a tad too slow

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
The beauty is that your library can work on multiple consoles in the house. This with Gamepass. So much value.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Will be playing exclusive PS5 games day 1 hopefully. If they pull it off and it whatever game blows our mind, I'll be happy to not care for last gen games to start off the new gen.
For me, it's more about the confidence of investing in a digital library that isn't stuck on a single platform.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
xbox gets the steam mentality.....they understand this shit

fucking Sony needs to pick up their damn game. It's not hard to get emulation going for at least PS1 and PS2 games you jackoffs

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Please add Sonic Unleashed! Jungle Joyride was a blast, but its performance was terrible.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This news is slowly reaching the "RE5 coming to 360" level.

I might be wrong but it feels like we have known and got this confirmed a bunch of times already.

Regardless of this...great how MS is handling BC.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
It will be difficult not to buy one of these in a few years once it has console exclusives. Are they planning to make any additional 360 or OG games backwards compatible?

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
they dived into it with Halo 5 in some of the youtube videos from people that went to Redmond and were able to talk and use the Series X.

probably wont be as good as a game made with HDR in mind but what it had was impressive considering no dev time needed.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What can I say? Microsoft has been killing it with BC lately and I'm very happy with it.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
It will be difficult not to buy one of these in a few years once it has console exclusives. Are they planning to make any additional 360 or OG games backwards compatible?
Yes they will, especially with many improvement on emulation. We should expect to see more games getting BC treatment and enhancements often than before.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Wow well done to Xbox for doing this for their fans. This positions them well at launch. Makes me happy I went digital this gen and happy my purchases will carry over.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The BC teamed moved on to getting it all working on the Series X, but after that work is done I have to imagine they'd go back to working on getting more new (old) games running.

Status
Not open for further replies.