• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
W3Y59cx.jpg

ffvii-cc-p2-screenshot1.png

b0vJ0mk.jpg

I'm also eager to see how they'll redesign the Highwind in Remake, and I hope it'll be fully controllable. If they just end up going with a fast travel solution that would be very lame.
ZWwLqgR.jpg

Last edited:

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Will we get Tifa's slapfight?

You raise a good point about the Highwind, though. That's gonna be weird unless we go with a traditional world map or fast travel.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying it and I'm in the gold saucer now. I am very afraid. This game is so quirky.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I love that part because it's the first time you get to hear this theme (next it plays when you get to Mt Corel)

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
That was indeed one of the most magical moments when playing the game for the first time. It will be hard to elicit the same reaction in the remake.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see Red XIII walking around on his hind legs wearing a sailor's outfit and trying to pass as human.

reminio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln, UK
I was reminiscing on how good the first act of FF7 is and I think if they cut off part 1 just before leaving Midgar it will be great. Leaks seem to suggest otherwise but i don't think they're that credible.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they zoom the camera on Tifa's face after Cloud tells the flashback story in Kalm

stare.gif

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What moment? Going out of Midgar?

You'll see it in part 2
According to sources Part 1 will not end there but after the iconic death scene.

FF7 was my first FF and my first RPG other than Super Mario RPG. The getting out of Midgar blew my freaking 13 year old mind. I initially thought the game would take place entirely on Midgar and it'd be about blowing each of the reactors and fight the main guy in the middle tower not unlike a Zelda game. It was so amazing to realize "shit I have a whole game ahead of me still?"

Oct 30, 2017
People still insisting that part 1 will end with Midgar..... Midgar where the story and events are only 10% of the whole game.......

Why people hate logic and sense so much?

OP
OP
Somni

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking forward to this..

60440344_360958494536355_5468780642521055232_n.jpg
I want to see Red XIII walking around on his hind legs wearing a sailor's outfit and trying to pass as human.
I really like how Remake looks, but it's moments like these that makes me feel they've could've really benefited from drawing even more from the anime inspired aesthetic of FF VII instead of the stylized realism art direction.But the remake is going for something different, and I respect that.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
While on the subject of how the fuck are they going to squeeze ffvii into a modern game how about all that submarine ocean floor shit where you can just bump into Emerald Weapon and it's like a spooky horror game all of a sudden with haunted crashed airplanes and shit.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why Tifa didn't protest or say anything like "I don't remember this happening like that!" Why didn't she say something?
They bring it up later

I think it's that she did know something wasn't right, but Cloud sounded so sure of himself that it at least gave her hesitation to say anything in the moment. She's still trying to figure out what the hell is going on with him, too.

OP
OP
Somni

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People still insisting that part 1 will end with Midgar..... Midgar where the story and events are only 10% of the whole game.......

Why people hate logic and sense so much?
I think since people have heard that they're going to flesh out Midgar and the scenarios therein, that part 1 will take place solely in Midgar. We will all get a better sense of what we're dealing with at E3, but I think those people could be pleasantly surprised by the scale.

OP
OP
Somni

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While on the subject of how the fuck are they going to squeeze ffvii into a modern game how about all that submarine ocean floor shit where you can just bump into Emerald Weapon and it's like a spooky horror game all of a sudden with haunted crashed airplanes and shit.
FF VII really was a surprisingly dense game. The right game, at the right place & time too. If their aim is to surpass FF VII with Remake, they can't half-ass these elements, in my opinion.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They bring it up later

I think it's that she did know something wasn't right, but Cloud sounded so sure of himself that it at least gave her hesitation to say anything in the moment. She's still trying to figure out what the hell is going on with him, too.

Wait 7 years? That doesn't add up. If he was 16 during the Sephiroth incident then in the actual game instead of being 21 he's 23?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering how they are going to handle the scene were Hojo tried to make Red 13 breed with Aeris

nded

Nov 14, 2017
They should do some complicated flight sim shit with the Highwind just to piss people off.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think since people have heard that they're going to flesh out Midgar and the scenarios therein, that part 1 will take place solely in Midgar. We will all get a better sense of what we're dealing with at E3, but I think those people could be pleasantly surprised by the scale.

You can only 'flesh it out' so much before it becomes overly padded with ruined pacing. Midgar is a tight, well-paced, linear opening chapter that goes for about 8-10 hours - at most they might double that, and 16-20 hours is not enough.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Can't wait for this:

hqdefault.jpg

And this:
hqdefault.jpg

43-E26_040.jpg

The details of 2D sets still impress me as much as ever. Look at this random desk, so detailed. An artist spent a lot of time to make it look good and it's a 5-second passage.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
You definitely shouldn't get your hopes up for this. The end of disc 1 has almost every single location in the game done, building all those unique locations is likely the #1 reason why this is being split up in the first place.
If that is then case then I don't see a way that this game isn't a very funneled style RPG like Kingdom Heart. Because generating all those locations and content over a series of releases would be difficult if it had to be open world too.

It would almost be like buying MMO expansions or something. Personally I think it will be linear and these moments of openness won't be in at all

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
antitrop coupd you please explain the "it's not 5 years it was actually 7" time jump? Cloud isn't really 21 then? Does that mean he's older than Aeris too? Is Tifa not 20 but actually 22 then?

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying it and I'm in the gold saucer now. I am very afraid. This game is so quirky.

Yes. I'm pretty indifferent to FFVII's story, the reasons I love it so much are the materia system and all the weird stuff squaresoft put into it. Very worried about the materia system due to the battle changed, and very worried about the weird stuff because of all the games square has been putting out recently. And even if they do, I question how much of it is going to work in the realistic aesthetic they've gone with.

OP
OP
Somni

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm talking like half hour pre flight checks, fuel management, randomized weather and landing the thing manually. You opt out for fast travel by just letting Cid handle it.
Shit, let's get that in the game.

So long as we don't get a FF X/FF XII situation where fast travel is the only option with no vehicles to pilot or drive.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
antitrop coupd you please explain the "it's not 5 years it was actually 7" time jump? Cloud isn't really 21 then? Does that mean he's older than Aeris too? Is Tifa not 20 but actually 22 then?
Okay, I looked it up and he was 14 during the Sephiroth incident and that's when he left to attempt to join SOLDIER the following spring (but still before his 15th birthday in August).

The water tower scene with Cloud and Tifa is when Cloud is 14 and Tifa is 13. Then when she finds him at the train station in Midgar, he's 21 and she's 20, but he's saying it's only been 5 years since he left.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Final Fantasy VII was my first FF game and JRPG as a kid. Not being familiar with RPGs at all at that young age I remember expecting the entire game to take place entirely in Midgar because of how extensive the city felt.

I was completely floored at the moment posted by the OP, and then discovering that I'd explore an entire planet. Completely mind-shattered. Still my favourite Final Fantasy to this day for that reason (amongst plenty others).

I really hope they manage to recreate the magic of that moment for newcomers.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't, lol. I'm actually trying to look up a japanese script to see if it was just a localization error, because Cloud is for sure 21.
Tifa could actually be 22, the only reason we know she's 20 was from the instruction booklet but maybe that's just Cloud thinking he's 21 and she's 20 but maybe he's 23 and she's 22.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I looked it up and he was 14 during the Sephiroth incident and that's when he left to attempt to join SOLDIER the following spring (but still before his 15th birthday in August).

The water tower scene with Cloud and Tifa is when Cloud is 14 and Tifa is 13. Then when she finds him at the train station in Midgar, he's 21 and she's 20, but he's saying it's only been 5 years since he left.
I just played through the Nibelheim flashback this week and he explicitly says he was 16 during that incident, not 14. You sure you're not getting confuse for was that a mistranslation?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I just played through the Nibelheim flashback this week and he explicitly says he was 16 during that incident, not 14. You sure you're not getting confuse for was that a mistranslation?
Ya, I'm a little confused but I got it now. Cloud leaves Nibelheim at 14 to join SOLDIER. He comes back to Nibelheim 2 years later with Sephiroth and Zack, and that is when Sephiroth burns it to the ground. Then 5 years from there is where Cloud ends up at the Midgar train station and is found by Tifa and the game begins.

I think. I guess it's time to replay the game again, haven't done it since the PS4 port came out.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
They bring it up later

Damn, this game is so great. Really wonder if the remake has any chance of capturing everything. Or even most of it.

Oct 30, 2017
According to sources Part 1 will not end there but after the iconic death scene.

FF7 was my first FF and my first RPG other than Super Mario RPG. The getting out of Midgar blew my freaking 13 year old mind. I initially thought the game would take place entirely on Midgar and it'd be about blowing each of the reactors and fight the main guy in the middle tower not unlike a Zelda game. It was so amazing to realize "shit I have a whole game ahead of me still?"

I thought for sure that was the end of disk 1 lol. I also thought I was almost done the game. Then I was amazed by how much there was.

Status
Not open for further replies.