• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
We already have a thread about Keaton Jones, the bullied middle schooler receiving tons of support from actors and athletes for speaking out and asking honestly just why it is that people bully others?

Unfortunately, however, it turns out Keaton's mother appears to be a Confederate loyalist. I saw a few people get warnings for bringing this up in the other thread. I think that's unfortunate because, whether those users did a good job communicating it or not, this fact is entirely pertinent to the discussion. We should absolutely be discussing that Ms. Jones holds this position because she's one of the chief people responsible for giving at least a basic shape to her son's morals and values.

Now, I understand quite well bullying is a serious issue in our culture. As a black kid with a visibly obvious disability on top of it who attended majority-white schools growing up, I know quite well what it's like to be bullied and even othered in more subtle ways. It's always good to discuss this issue, but if we're ever going to move past it, we need to be looking at the more specific facets of society that enable bullying to begin with as well. The dividing lines in our society based on so many things including gender, sexuality, and yes, race. For Ms. Jones to seek sympathy for her son while holding the views she seems to is deeply hypocritical. It's not fair to Keaton or anyone else who can relate to his experience. It's not an honest conversation and if that's not what we're going to push for, there's really no discussion happening at all.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This story is sketchy as fuck and there's a lot of heresay. I wish the internet would just forget about it until all of the details come out.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Not a road anyone should be going down IMO; just be sympathetic to the kid and move on. Whether the Mother is a hypocrite doesn't change that the kid's words hold a lot of truth.

We can address racists separately and do just as much good; if anything this will be yet another topic where people think liberals look bad/stupid if people keep harping on this IMO.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We judge kids by their parents now?

Judging by comments I see in Era, we suddenly have a bunch of far right supporters based on their parents.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do people think bullied kids all come from nice homes or something? This has sent people insane.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not a road anyone should be going down IMO; just be sympathetic to the kid and move on. Whether the Mother is a hypocrite doesn't change that the kid's words hold a lot of truth.

We can address racists separately and do just as much good; if anything this will be yet another topic where people think liberals look bad/stupid if people keep harping on this IMO.

There are allegations that he was saying the n-word at school by the person who found these pictures from their Facebook. Just laying that out there before this is locked.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get calling themother out on her bull shit but I don't think that should affect the situation with her son.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Don't make replacement threads for ones that were locked. In the future, please PM a mod with a request if you think that you need to have a new thread for some reason and we will discuss it with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.