• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
freeza_planet_needs_him.gif

i do really question this game some times

Amazing.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I think this kind of thing is pretty hard to do
1. You've got characters who only exist in a 2D world, that typically creates some difficulties as soon as you need to move them to 3D.
2. Their entire animated history exists in a super low framerate, something that doesn't translate very well to comfortable gameplay
3. You've got different characters, by different artists , animated by different animation studios all with thei own trademark looks.

It's not to say it wouldn't be impossible, but perhaps some early choices have made this even more pronounced. The natural looking textures and lighting on characters that only exist as animated cells does look pretty awful.
It's certainly hard to look at after seeing DBFighters

However,It does look like some of the mo-cap has been done using a Kinect.

The shittiest of cel shading style would look better than this.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I have been puzzled by all the hype about it ever since the first scans of this leaked. In genuinely looks horrid. Yet I would see thread after thread about it. I thought there has to be either something I'm missing or amother project because this can't be it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wait, the Ryuk stuff was intentional? I thought it was a glitch lol, that's fucking bad and yeah animations are terrible. Good thing I hardly cared about this game. I was pondering getting it because anime, but nah now I'm sure I'm good.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, what is up with the camera angles for these supers? Some of them are borderline incomprehensible.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Agree, it's a mess. Also does not help that the beta ran at a constant 25 fps on X1X, I don't know how they could've possibly thought this was ok to put out even as beta.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I think this looks like amazing Japanese jank! We need a new term for this to go along with the Eurojank term.

Honestly, I like the plastic look. It's as if vinyl figures have come to life. But then everything moves and...yeah.

The motion blur is out of control. I can't tell what's going on half the time, which is why it's been turned up so high.

Cheeeeeeesefest!

I'm in!

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I knew the game looked pretty ugly but I didn't expect it to be so janky as well. What a shame that such a promising concept gets such terrible execution.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, this is not at all what I expected the final product to look like. After the fantastic DBFighterZ, I'm kind of surprised they went to such a wonky looking 3D design that doesn't look half as competent as Power Stone from two decades ago. I'm talking aesthetics AND gameplay; it all seems... bad.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Even great production values wouldn't have saved that terribad art direction. But to be supreme jank as well sure is something...

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I have been puzzled by all the hype about it ever since the first scans of this leaked. In genuinely looks horrid. Yet I would see thread after thread about it. I thought there has to be either something I'm missing or amother project because this can't be it.
That goes to show how much people really love these characters. Rarely does Bamco make games featuring anyone outside of DBZ and Naruto. One Piece has some games but they're few and far between.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this looks like amazing Japanese jank! We need a new term for this to go along with the Eurojank term.

Honestly, I like the plastic look. It's as if vinyl figures have come to life. But then everything moves and...yeah.

The motion blur is out of control. I can't tell what's going on half the time, which is why it's been turned up so high.

Cheeeeeeesefest!

I'm in!

Anijank? Nipponjank? Weeajank? Kusogejank? J-Jank?

But yeah, this might be the Arena Fighter equivalent of EDF or Onechanbara or something. Just with more motion sickness :p

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Japan + Jank = Japank? J-Jank? J-Ank?

You know, I like that as an idea. They're not the actual characters, but action figures of those character.

The entire game is framed as a kid playing with his toys and everything happening from story, to backgrounds to flashy effects is all in the kid's imagination. It's ok if the characters look plasticy because they are action figures. It's okay if the animation is janky and stiff because they are action figures. You could even do it on purpose. You can have all kinds of weird and nonsense matchups without having to explain much, because that's what kids do. They make up stuff on the spot.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny though that they said the artstyle was to appeal to the West and yet it produce the opposite effect.
This game is just a big mess all around.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the art style a whole lot, but this looks like it plays worse than J-Stars, and J-Stars was straight trash. Ah well.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep letting Spike Chunsoft develop action/fighting games, brehs. Budokai Tenkaichi was shit to begin with yet they still keep getting called up to make arena fighters. Why not let Byking (people who have actual experience in the genre) make these Jump crossover games and don't waste them on shit like One's Justice.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if, one day, the people in charge will get their shit together and have this concept made with the same level of care as something like FighterZ.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
It pains me that this is so heavily marketed and aimed at western audiences who have no idea what the J-Stars games are because this game looks like a huge step back from what they've built up in the past

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Jesus, what is up with the camera angles for these supers? Some of them are borderline incomprehensible.

Came to this thread for this

Some of those not only have incomprehensible camera angles but it cuts faster than a hip youtuber

And this mixed with the "particles everywhere" it makes christmas lights vomit looks like nothing

Anyone got any good GIFs or something of particularly silly sequences? Here's one that reminds me of a Source Filmmaker fan project:

https://my.mixtape.moe/mjnkwg.webm

Dear god this is BEAUTIFUL
Goku's feet movement at 29seconds is just ....

Like this is not a Source Filmmaker fan project, this is a VERY bad source filmmaker fan project

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, classic only era hates this game. It has a positive reception literally everywhere else.
Funny, i've only heard and seen bad reception so far(Especially from people that have put more than 500hrs in games like Jojo ASB, Jump Ultimate Stars, etc...).

But feel free to link us the stuff you're talking about, maybe i'm missing something

Nov 23, 2017
Funny, i've only heard and seen bad reception so far(Especially from people that have put more than 500hrs in games like Jojo ASB, Jump Ultimate Stars, etc...).

But feel free to link us the stuff you're talking about, maybe i'm missing something
It plays way better than the last game like it. If the problem is people wanted a 2d fighting game, you aren't getting a 2d fighting game in 2019 that isn't dbz.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I'm ignoring everything the OP said and just staring at people's teeth?

Also, I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat, tears in my eyes, unable to keep my nightmares safe from the fear that there will never be a third Jump Superstars.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, I was pretty surprised to see the vitriolic response this game is getting on this forum. I have no real experience with these anime properties outside of enjoying some of the video games (such as DB FighterZ). I must say that to me this game looks really nice, I like the art style personally, and the concept is really cool. The game play looks like it could be a lot of fun.

What is it that is causing such an uproar over here? Is this something that really invested fans of the various anime series have a problem with that folks on the outside of that wont necessarily see as an issue? I know its beta had some trouble, but other than that the criticisms I'm seeing just aren't lining up 1:1 with what I see - but maybe that is just me?

I do agree that the motion blur is excessive and there are some funny animations (or lack thereof) but that is not unique to this game. There are plenty of games I have played and enjoyed that have suffered those issues as well without such a strong community reaction.

For clarity's sake: I am not calling anyone out here, nor am I suggesting anyone is incorrect with their negative feelings. I am simply perplexed by how strongly it seems to be felt here and was wondering why. I kinda thought this game would be popular here to be honest. I'm actually tempted to pick this up as it looks like it could be fun.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like one of those fan-made UE4 "remakes", but worse. There's almost no respect for visual coherence and readability.
For clarity's sake: I am not calling anyone out here, nor am I suggesting anyone is incorrect with their negative feelings. I am simply perplexed by how strongly it seems to be felt here and was wondering why. I kinda thought this game would be popular here to be honest. I'm actually tempted to pick this up as it looks like it could be fun.
Did you watch the videos in the OP? Genuine question, because what's on display is almost unbelievable to me, personally.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Lol, classic only era hates this game. It has a positive reception literally everywhere else.
Are you seeing the cutscenes and character models being posted in here? They're atrocious. I have no dog in this fight. But I remember the E3 teaser looking pretty good. This is now, without a doubt, one of the worst looking AA current-gen games I have seen. It's so ugly. And not just because of the art style.

Quebaz

Nov 15, 2017
Anecdotal, but most of the reactions I've seen on twitter from people who aren't middle school kids have been negative. Even ignoring complaints about the art-style, people aren't happy about how the actual game plays or even its roster which goes out of its way to offer less variety compared to J-Stars despite having more characters.

It plays way better than the last game like it. If the problem is people wanted a 2d fighting game, you aren't getting a 2d fighting game in 2019 that isn't dbz.

Which doesn't mean anything because J-Stars wasn't a 1v1 game in the first place. You're literally looking at 2 different gameplay styles here. Again, anecdotal, but I've seen people say that My Hero Academia One's Justice had more meat to its gameplay and wasn't so mash-happy

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Did you watch the videos in the OP? Genuine question, because what's on display is almost unbelievable to me, personally.

Yeah I did. I honestly didn't see a lot to complain about personally - it certainly isn't a big budget game, and there were issues as noted, but to me I didn't think it was such a big deal - maybe just a case of different tolerances to this kinda thing in the context of one's level of investment in these franchises?

Oct 25, 2017
My little brother loves all of this and I can't be that dickhead who ruins that for him lol.
I want to roast the game but I'll let him have this one.

I think I'll have fun with this game anyway. Presentation aside.