• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the scene of Goku and Light having a "conversation". That was awkward.

misterBee

Aug 16, 2018
I think this kind of thing is pretty hard to do
1. You've got characters who only exist in a 2D world, that typically creates some difficulties as soon as you need to move them to 3D.
2. Their entire animated history exists in a super low framerate, something that doesn't translate very well to comfortable gameplay
3. You've got different characters, by different artists , animated by different animation studios all with thei own trademark looks.

It's not to say it wouldn't be impossible, but perhaps some early choices have made this even more pronounced. The natural looking textures and lighting on characters that only exist as animated cells does look pretty awful.
It's certainly hard to look at after seeing DBFighters

However,It does look like some of the mo-cap has been done using a Kinect.

1) This hasn't stopped other 2D->3D conversions before.
2) The fact that traditional 2D animation runs at 24fps has nothing to do with this. This point is completely irrelevant.
3) Aiming to have a coherent art style doesn't mean you beat every character with an ugly stick.

I don't think the points you mentioned have much bearing on things at all. End of the day they chose an ugly art style and ran with it.

There are plenty of games that are 3D but use an anime art style (Guilty Gear/DBFZ probably the most famous and well executed, but there are many others). Many of them are also incredibly well animated and able to capture the feel of their source material.

End of the day they decided to go all-in with a polarizing look for their game. The rest of the jank just looks like the result of a product that is being rushed to market.

The only reason the game seems to be so crude and unpolished is poor management. There are no technical reasons for it to be this way.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think this kind of thing is pretty hard to do
1. You've got characters who only exist in a 2D world, that typically creates some difficulties as soon as you need to move them to 3D.
2. Their entire animated history exists in a super low framerate, something that doesn't translate very well to comfortable gameplay
3. You've got different characters, by different artists , animated by different animation studios all with thei own trademark looks.

You do realize a lot of the big franchises have had other 3D fighting games that look MUCH better, right? One Piece has, Naruto, DBZ, Jojo, etc. As for #3, explain how Smash Bros managed to create a cohesive art style, in a game that has characters ranging from Toon Link to Solid Snake.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
1) This hasn't stopped other 2D->3D conversions before.
2) The fact that traditional 2D animation runs at 24fps has nothing to do with this. This point is completely irrelevant.
3) Aiming to have a coherent art style doesn't mean you beat every character with an ugly stick.

I don't think the points you mentioned have much bearing on things at all. End of the day they chose an ugly art style and ran with it.

There are plenty of games that are 3D but use an anime art style (Guilty Gear/DBFZ probably the most famous and well executed, but there are many others). Many of them are also incredibly well animated and able to capture the feel of their source material.

End of the day they decided to go all-in with a polarizing look for their game. The rest of the jank just looks like the result of a product that is being rushed to market.

The only reason the game seems to be so crude and unpolished is poor management. There are no technical reasons for it to be this way.

Japanese animation doesn't run at 24Fps. Maybe 12 at best and even then it's by design even cheaper. Guilty Gear and DBZF are actually both 2D game using 3D meshes , you fell straight into my trap little one

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I'm having the time of my life with how bad this game is. Like male voice option 2... my dude is losing his shit like Bakugo while completely straight faced lmao

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
I must be in the minority here - I love the action-figure look of this game. It's so weird, how can you not love it.

But is it fun to play? That's what I need to know before I buy it on Friday...

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I must be in the minority here - I love the action-figure look of this game. It's so weird, how can you not love it.

It's a 3vs3 game with a shared health bar, which makes zero sense to me. What's the point of making a game 3 vs 3 if they share a health bar? It just becomes "change style" instead of "change character" doesn't it?

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
No. It was years of effort by a veteran group dedicated to doing right by the license with the budget to do so that maximized a gap in the market to their advantage.

Believe me. Making the stuff ASW did took a lot of effort and is no fluke.
It's a 3vs3 game with a shared health bar, which makes zero sense to me.

It makes sense in a way but reeks of lack of balancing time being the major deciding factor to choose to do this.

3 life bars for 3 characters can easily run into either timer scams or just ridiculously long matches that drone on. To push excitement you need to heavily balance damage output vs max health vs healing rates vs resource gain vs timer speed. That takes work. Beta builds of mvc3 and sf x tekken (which only had 2 characters not 3) took wild swings between too much damage and too little between builds trying to find the sweet spot.

The cheap solution is one life bar shared for all 3 characters. Easier to plan around but feels very lazy and reeks of lack of time or budget needed for a more rewarding method of seperate life bars to be implemented.

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

giphy.gif

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure yet. The game forces you through like 20 min of unskippable text with bad presentation before you can do anything. It's like Toei pacing came to life.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It was years of effort by a veteran group dedicated to doing right by the license with the budget to do so that maximized a gap in the market to their advantage.

Believe me. Making the stuff ASW did took a lot of effort and is no fluke.
By fluke I mean Namco would never approve a game of that quality again.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord it's even worse than before.

I always hated the "realistic" look of Jump Force from the get-go - it just doesn't fit any of the characters, and I don't see the "action figure" angle, either. It's even worse than MvCI, and that's saying something, considering how trash that game's presentation was. Also, poor Trunks got hit with an ugly stick, geez. And the cutscenes look cheap as hell.

I mean, you don't need DBFZ-level cel shading to make it look good, just look at the teaser for that new Dragon Ball RPG project.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I always hated the "realistic" look of Jump Force from the get-go - it just doesn't fit any of the characters, and I don't see the "action figure" angle, either. It's even worse than MvCI, and that's saying something, considering how trash that game's presentation was. Also, poor Trunks got hit with an ugly stick, geez. And the cutscenes look cheap as hell.

I mean, you don't need DBFZ-level cel shading to make it look good, just look at the teaser for that new Dragon Ball RPG project.
Trunks looks better than almost all of the other DB characters honestly. His hair is harder to fuck up in 3D and he's got jacked pecs

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Granted, I haven't been following Jump Force super closely, but this still been one of the strangest cases of the Era bubble I've ever seen. All anyone ever talks about here is the supposedly terrible art style, and I've almost never seen the same complaint anywhere else.
Its pretty bad. If its a bubble, then the rest of the world just has bad artistic taste then I guess.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty bad. If its a bubble, then the rest of the world just has bad artistic taste then I guess.
Most people don't know what framerate, shaders, or whatever are. This means enthusiasts are a lot more sensitive to it.

That being said, the Sanji tweet above, you can see in the comments that it's not just ERA that thinks it looks like a cheaply made mess. Same with the vegeta ass cube tweet.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I guess this is why Bamco keeps going to Spike Chunsoft. They must save a fortune on QA testing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly the only characters that the style does fit for is Jotaro and Dio. But that's because in comparison to the other characters they were already more realistic.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game reeks of "hey look people are gonna buy this anyways so why should we put actual resources into it"

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Damn was really excited for the game, but everything I'm seeing from the story mode, amount of load times and disappointing roster, makes me glad I'm not getting the game day one. Might get it when it's cheaper since I do enjoy the combat, but this is really disappointing.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Sanji gif lmao.

It's amazing how the game already looked incredibly hideous and somehow it's still much worse than we thought.

Worst part is people still eat it up.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Well. Uh. Hm. It gives proper respect to Kaguya as the real big bad of Naruto rather than Meh-dara I guess. And before anyone @s me, watch her backstory episodes in the anime. IDGAF if they're "not canon", makes her make a lot more sense than Madara.

But yeah this game looks jankier than Xenoverse which is saying a lot.